Author Topic: Comey fired  (Read 8627 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Comey fired
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
So I've been seeing a lot of complaints about Comey stepping outside his authority in not recommending charges
But didn't Lynch ask him to do exactly that? She punted to him.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch says she will accept whatever recommendations FBI investigators and career prosecutors make about the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server.
His decision to NOT recommend prosecution, while it was the wrong decision, it seems like Lynch gave it to him to make. He was on the hook, and at that point unless he said to charge her it wasn't going to happen. Is it just that he called a press conference and talked way too much about how guilty Clinton was?

BOLDING mine.

That's not his decision to make.  The FBI investigates.  Period. End. Full Stop.  Once that investigation is complete, they turn everything they have over to the Prosecutors (in this case, "Career Prosecutors) who then make the decision(s) as to what and whom to charge based on the evidence uncovered in the investigation.  (Normally those are the elements of the crime, and in this case Mens Rea was not a requirement in the statute.)   Comey usurped the proper roles and functions of his position, the FBI and the DOJ when he held his press conference.  The best way to have resolved this would have been in a court of law, not at a press conference where he basically laid out Hillary's guilt, without charging her.

His "reopening" of the investigation, then closing it again, just went to show how inept his handling of this case became.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
I would have fired him on the first day for the Clinton "investigation."

That's what I expected Trump to do. Better late than never.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
Funny . . .

The Democrats (including Chucky Schumer) who WANTED Comey fired during the past year, are now positively apoplectic that Trump did what they said they wanted!   :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
Comey usurped the proper roles and functions of his position, the FBI and the DOJ when he held his press conference.  The best way to have resolved this would have been in a court of law, not at a press conference

So it was the press conference then? He was supposed to have just told Lynch that he didn't recommend charges and let her get input from others & explain her "decision" from there?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
So I've been seeing a lot of complaints about Comey stepping outside his authority in not recommending charges

But didn't Lynch ask him to do exactly that? She punted to him.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch says she will accept whatever recommendations FBI investigators and career prosecutors make about the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email server.

His decision to NOT recommend prosecution, while it was the wrong decision, it seems like Lynch gave it to him to make. He was on the hook, and at that point unless he said to charge her it wasn't going to happen. Is it just that he called a press conference and talked way too much about how guilty Clinton was?

There's a difference between making a recommendation that goes up the food chain (internally), versus calling a press conference and stating that there would be no prosecution -- on the fallacious grounds that she (Hillary) didn't "intend" to break the law. First off, there's a lot of evidence that she very much DID intend to break the law but, more important, the law she broke does not require intent. If you mishandle classified information, you're guilty. Intent is not mentioned, and lots of less important people have been charged and prosecuted for far less egregious instances of mishandling classified information.

The bottom line is in the quote: Lynch didn't delegate the final decision to Comey, she said she would accept the recommendation of the FBI (that's the agency, not just one man -- remember, a lot of agents were very pissed off that Comey curtailed the first investigation) AND career prosecutors. Comey was a prosecutor himself. How do you think he would have reacted if, when he was a prosecutor, the FBI had blindsided him and unilaterally announced there would be no prosecution of a person who was almost certainly guilty? So, no -- he was not doing what Lynch asked him to do. He took her and the prosecutors -- who are the people who are supposed to decide whether or not to press charges -- out of the loop.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:49 AM »
Does anyone actually think that Lynch would have actually charged Clinton?

Of course not. That "chance meeting" with Bill Clinton on the tarmac?

He was explaining to her how Vince Foster "committed suicide" and how quickly someone can fall into a deep depression...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
This is an interesting twist...http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/11/mike-lee-merrick-garland-for-fbi-head.html
Quote from: From Mike Lee's Twitter
Instead of a special prosecutor, @realDonaldTrump should nominate Merrick Garland to replace James Comey.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »

FINALLY, someone everyone can agree on. He knows how to get things done.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
I had a thought.

Comey was apparently in California when he got surprised by the firing. Did they make him pay for a ticket back to DC since he wasn't on the payroll anymore?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
I had a thought.

Comey was apparently in California when he got surprised by the firing. Did they make him pay for a ticket back to DC since he wasn't on the payroll anymore?

Maybe they extradited him?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »
Who is that?

Cigarette Smoking Man, as has been pointed out.  In the series "The X Files"  he and Fox Mulder would have run ins.  CSM  was a major leader of the evil conspiracy of the dark siders ....Bilderbergs, Trilateralwhatevers that were conspiring with aliens and whatever nightcreature was available.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »
Cigarette Smoking Man, as has been pointed out.  In the series "The X Files"  he and Fox Mulder would have run ins.  CSM  was a major leader of the evil conspiracy of the dark siders ....Bilderbergs, Trilateralwhatevers that were conspiring with aliens and whatever nightcreature was available.

No, no. Just the aliens. He didn't have any conspiracies with bigfoot.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
Tapes ?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
I had a thought.

Generally the entity has to pay for travel back to the location they sent a person before releasing them. Or get sued if they don't. On "business travel", the entity is liable for basically anything that happens to the person while traveling because they are doing so at the entity's behalf. Different insurance stuff happens. He'd be covered by workman's comp and work travel insurance until he arrives back. If someone has a company car and you fire them, they're also covered until they drop off. Smart employers gently repo the car and hire a driving service for the employee.

At this level of government, it's a bit more of a wildcard.

At Sikorsky, we ran into this issue when they laid a guy off while he was in Qatar. Lot of angry discussions with HR got his card turned back on until he got home. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »
No, no. Just the aliens. He didn't have any conspiracies with bigfoot.

How do you know?   Perhaps he was better at keeping that conspiracy a secret .......  >:D [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
Not even Vice President Mike Pence was spared the embarrassment of having told a version of events that was later discredited by Trump.
=(
If you're gonna send people out with talking points, at least get the President to stick to them. At least for a day or two.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
=(
If you're gonna send people out with talking points, at least get the President to stick to them. At least for a day or two.

THAT'S NO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
At Sikorsky, we ran into this issue when they laid a guy off while he was in Qatar. Lot of angry discussions with HR got his card turned back on until he got home.

OK, I can understand if it's a RFN termination because he peed in a client's punchbowl, but for a layoff, (which presumably wasn't a spur of the moment decision) wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to send him back to his hometown (or at least the right continent) on whatever pretext and then tell him he's being let go?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
Is it ok to be happy Comey is gone just because his demand for backdoors to encryption was so wrong even though I doubt our government in general understands it?

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/after-huge-global-cyberattack-countries-scramble-halt-spread-ransomware-n759121

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
He has declined to be identified in the media, but was described by the Guardian as a 22-year-old from southwest England who lives with his parents.
[/b]

Sooooo, one of those GD millennials stopped the cyber attack?  I thought they were all good for nothing lay abouts?   :laugh: