Author Topic: Deer Licks Shotgun  (Read 1587 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Deer Licks Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
I've been waterfowl hunting and had deer stick there head in the blind. I've been turkey hunting and had deer graze around my decoys. Been deer hunting and had turkeys eat within touching range.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »
I said it recently somehere that deer are curious critters and will investigate strange odors, like cigarette smoke.

I'm reminded of the old apocrypha about deer hunting with a Mosin Nagant.  You stick an apple on that looooong bayonet and poke it out of the bushes you're hiding in.

When a deer comes by to eat the apple, BLAM!

Bear in mind I am merely describing a possibly illegal act, not advocating one.  Gotta keep the forum rules in mind.

Also, one can take advantage of antelopes' curiosity:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2014/04/essential-outdoor-skill-flag-antelope

I wasn't hunting, but I had this happen to me once.  I was camped on the Grasslands and one morning I raised the usual Stars and Stripes on my camper, then went back inside for breakfast.  I spotted a herd of antelope about a mile away through the window, and was amazed that within the hour, they were less than 100 yards away, looking at my camper.

Heck, even the Indians knew about this trick:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/flagging-antelope-charles-m-russell.jpg

(That's a copyrighted image, referenced here under the so-called fair use Doctrine for educational purposes.  Gotta watch the forum rules.)

I'm sure many of you have had the experience of large herbivores grazing peacefully gradually coming up and crowding around you, sniffing and poking.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:26:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:08:39 PM »
I said it recently somehere that deer are curious critters and will investigate strange odors, like cigarette smoke.

I'm reminded of the old apocrypha about deer hunting with a Mosin Nagant.  You stick an apple on that looooong bayonet and poke it out of the bushes you're hiding in.

When a deer comes by to eat the apple, BLAM!

Bear in mind I am merely describing a possibly illegal act, not advocating one.  Gotta keep the forum rules in mind.

Perfectly legal to bait deer and elk in WA.  There's limits on how much bait you can use at one time, but that's far more than will fit on a M-N bayonet.  

However, baiting of bear and cougar is verboten.
Formerly sumpnz

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
Perfectly legal to bait deer and elk in WA.  There's limits on how much bait you can use at one time, but that's far more than will fit on a M-N bayonet.  

However, baiting of bear and cougar is verboten.

Red or white for baiting a cougar?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »

Red or white for baiting a cougar?

White zin.

Or an appletini.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
If only deer could talk.

"Hi, I'm Kurt and this is my brother Ernest, that's a pretty nice shotgun you have there."

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
It struck me the best thing they could do for the deer would have been to chase them off and fire one of the shotguns to help them along.

Bad for next season's deer hunters though, so I'm debating that within myself.  And it probably would have scared off any turkeys, too.

What to do, what to do?  <Terry wrings hands over the trilemma.>

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.