Author Topic: Fake News: Bible Edition  (Read 2044 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Fake News: Bible Edition
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/19150/media-trumpets-bible-wrong-oops-hank-berrien

tl;dr version: Media generated a bunch of headlines, claiming that a new study contradicted the Bible's claims that the ancient Israelites completely eradicated the Canaanites that originally lived in the Holy Land. The trouble for our journalist friends is that the Bible repeatedly makes clear that the Israelites did NOT follow God's order to kill all of the Canaanites. So, according to the Bible, one would expect Canaanite DNA to live on, as the study indicated.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Fake News: Bible Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
Is that the one where they circumcised 400 enemies?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
Non-Christians don't know what the Bible actual says!  Breaking News at Eleven! 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:06:39 PM »
I was thinking I remember a pastor linking one of the bad guys in the Book of Esther to one of the kings that was allowed to leave with this family.  I can't remember if it was a Canaanite king.  The name was similar if I remember right.  I don't think it was proven or anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
I was thinking I remember a pastor linking one of the bad guys in the Book of Esther to one of the kings that was allowed to leave with this family.  I can't remember if it was a Canaanite king.  The name was similar if I remember right.  I don't think it was proven or anything.

Haman, the Amalekite (sp?)  The Jews were commanded to exterminate the Amalekites (Deut 25:19) but King Saul showed them mercy.  Next generation, Haman returned the favor by trying to exterminate the Jews.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »

Agag, king of Amalek.  Except he got killed, but maybe some sons were elsewhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
Agag, king of Amalek.  Except he got killed, but maybe some sons were elsewhere.

I *think* he was the father of Haman, and sired him between the time Saul should have executed him and when Samuel actually did.
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:36 PM »
Non-Christians don't know what the Bible actual says!  Breaking News at Eleven! 

There are a goodly number of religious people who claim to be Christian who don't know what the bible actually says.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »
There are a goodly number of religious people who claim to be Christian who have differing opinions as to don't know what the Bbible actually says.

Just throwing that out there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »
There are a goodly number of religious people who claim to be Christian who don't know what the bible actually says.

And when they employ their ignorance in a misguided attempt to out-smart the Bible (like some journalists did in the OP), we can make fun of them, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:00 AM »
I *think* he was the father of Haman, and sired him between the time Saul should have executed him and when Samuel actually did.

I can't find anything in 1 Samuel 15 to support what I just said.   =|  Haven't searched 1 Chronicles yet, but I doubt it's in there.
"It's good, though..."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »

That is in a movie about Queen Esther... not actually the Bible.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »

You're right that the Bible does not list his genealogy, but does refer to his father as an "Agagite."

Jewish tradition, from that, holds that he is a direct descendant of King Agag and of Esau. Josephus also recounts this history.

So, it wasn't just something made up for a movie.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/7124-haman-the-agagite

And now you know.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »

I have not seen any movies about Esther.  ("Veggie Tales" doesn't count)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
I have not seen any movies about Esther.  ("Veggie Tales" doesn't count)
I guess Sanford and Son doesn't count either.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »

And when they employ their ignorance in a misguided attempt to out-smart the Bible (like some journalists did in the OP), we can make fun of them, too.
Exactly.  I don't think there is a religion out there that doesn't have followers that are largely ignorant of their own religion.