Author Topic: Frustrating Reporting (or, the Eelevator!)  (Read 660 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Frustrating Reporting (or, the Eelevator!)
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
Press release from Cornell about a project they've been a part of:

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/06/eelevator-project-gives-american-eels-lift

Interesting means of getting natural migrators around man-made blocks (dams).

What is frustrating is this is the only paragraph about what I wanted to know and it fails to address it:

Migrating eels seeking a way above the dam can climb a short ramp lined with old netting and kept wet by hoses from above. These eels – most often about 3 to 6 inches in length and in the “elver” stage of development – enter a bucket of circulating water that is checked twice weekly by volunteers. Sizes are recorded, and the eels are released above the dam to continue their life’s journey.

That's really interesting how it functions, but why do they eels go into the bucket in the first place? It's not like they read a sign that says "Going up?"

Now, apparently it works as they claim to have moved 500K+ eels since they started in 2008, but they are really vague on the how which is the part I'd be interested in. (Not enough to go searching, just enough to complain about it, though.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Frustrating Reporting (or, the Eelevator!)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
Speculation:  The eels go up the ladder because of instinct.  Somewhere along that ladder the eels fall into or are trapped by the bucket so they can be counted.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Pb

• friend
Re: Frustrating Reporting (or, the Eelevator!)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
Dams have really damaged aquatic wildlife in my state.