Author Topic: Good sunburn relief?  (Read 1602 times)

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Good sunburn relief?
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:45:13 AM »
I'm pretty toasted on my arms, face, and neck from sunday's IPSC match.  Any good OTC sunburn treatments that minimize peeling?

Ya I know, I should have worn sunscreen, I will next time...

atek3

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
A bottle of 100% aloe vera gel.

The stuff is WONDERFUL.

I keep mine in the refrigerator.

Minmizing peeling, though, is pretty much impossible. Once you're cooked, the damage is done, and you're going to peel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Typhoon

• friend
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 12:30:32 PM »
Solarcaine (TM) has a product that combines Aloe Vera gel with lidocaine (topical anesthetic).  Good Stuff!

It's at the drug store and it is green!

Feel better...

P.S. Drink lots of water as well.  An anti-inflammatory probably won't hurt, either...
To the stars!

TarpleyG

• friend
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:53:50 PM »
Solarcaine is good but you smell like bacon for a few days.

Greg

spacemanspiff

Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 01:02:48 PM »
if you dont have aloe vera gel, but an aloe vera plant, you can squeeze the pulp out of its stems on your skin.

i used to make fun of all those who got sunburned, and now its finally catching up to me. now my skin gets burned quite easily. back in the day i'd just get really really really dark. now i turn bright red.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

XLMiguel

Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
Yes, aloe and lanolin (3-4 x/day), solarcain, stay hydrated, ibuprophen/acetominiphen all help.  So will an oatmeal bath if it's really bad.

Get religious about sunblock.  I'm 57, & get to go to dermatologist each year and get whittled on to remove squamish and basal cell nasties, the odd solar keratosis, and related 'barnicles'.  No melanoma (yet, TG), but ugly and painful none-the-less, lots of divots (mostly out of sight with a shirt on) not to mention expensive.  This is damage I did as a teen/20 sumpin' sailing, working outdoors, & just basking.  Dumb, too soon old, too late smart.

Antibubba

• friend
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »
Ditto what typhoon said-nothing better!  And aspirin or ibuprofen if you can handle it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 04:23:47 AM »
I've finally started taking the sun seriously.  I've always been the jerk who gets lightly burned and then turns dark.  I've started using 50spf.
All the good recommendations are contained above.  Aloe Vera, anti-inflamitories.  Drink lots of fluids.  Keep your skin moist with lotion or aloe to minimize peeling, but you're probably not going to prevent it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Typhoon

• friend
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 08:13:46 AM »
Taking the sun seriously is IMPORTANT.  I am at high risk for skin cancer.  I grew up on a little island fairly close to the equator, and spent far too much time in the sun.  Although I am blessed with a somewhat Mediterranean complexion (Thanks, Italian Gramma) I did not enjoy my first (and hopefully only) melanoma biopsy.  ("No significant abnormalities" was the diagnosis.)

Take care, and use lots of sunscreen.  At a shooting class, I was razzed for using lots of makeup.  Hey!  It is an excellent sunscreen, SO There!!!
To the stars!

Lee

• friend
Good sunburn relief?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 08:39:28 AM »
I always liked cool vinegar compresses.  A bit smelly perhaps, but it works.
Drink alot of fluids and pop some Vitamin E.