Author Topic: Reuters is reporting that Saddam Hussein has been hanged.  (Read 31616 times)

Paddy

Re: Reuters is reporting that Saddam Hussein has been hanged.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »
Not even the Iraqis agree that 650,000 people have been killed
  Here's a cite, Mike, FWIW :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_surveys_of_mortality_before_and_after_the_2003_invasion_of_Iraq

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 08:03:36 AM »
After reading LAK's post, I don't know which should make me feel more guilt - that we "support" some dictators or that we "impose democracy" on others.   rolleyes

Better that we impose on them than that they impose on us.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 10:38:13 AM »
Well, I try not to think too much about some things... When simplification is used, things become signficantly clearer and easier to understand.

1) Hussein ordered genocide of a large number of noncombatants and civilians, including women and children, on more than one occasion, at times using chemical warfare methods.

2) Hussein just got stretched.

1 --> 2 seems a logical progression to me.

Blog under construction

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »
1) Hussein ordered genocide of a large number of noncombatants and civilians, including women and children, on more than one occasion, at times using chemical warfare methods.

2) Hussein just got stretched.

1 --> 2 seems a logical progression to me.

One dimensional argument.  Given direct credence to such theories, I'd like someone to dig up Andrew Jackson, as I need a someplace to urinate.  Recall, the U.S. didn't seem to care about any "crimes" committed under Saddam's regime until he no longer suited our purposes.

This doesn't mean he was a great guy -- far from it -- or did not get what his subjects believe he deserved.  But, if our current war/farce is because Saddam was a menace and/or raped his people, we are to be held accountable for having supported him, knowing such was ongoing.

If the war is about oil, WMD's, Imperialism or anything else...

...oh, nevermind.

"Saddam is dead and hasn't been a major player since 1991."
Zeke

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »
It's just awful damn sad that the democrats will side with a genocidal dictator and a bunch of religious fundamentalists to ensure that they'll win an election.

Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
Well, apparently someone grabbed a cell phone video of Saddam's execution.   Drudge has a link to it (it's on google video right now).  Morbid?  Yes.   I don't like seeing death.  But this death, this one I wanted to see.  Just to make sure the bastard was dead.   Could it have all been faked?  Yeah.  Was it?  I doubt it.   Did this sick S.O.B. deserve to get a little taller?   Yeah.  Is he answering to God, or Allah, or Yawheh right now?  I believe so.  And in my opinion, that's all that really matters.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »
just saw the vid...yup...he looks dead to me.

He was certainly asking for it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »
A lesser nation, or a lesser President, would never have achieved this remarkable accomplishment.
  Yeah, and what a bargain, too.  It only took 3 years, nine months, 650,000+ deaths (not to mention thousands of amputations and other mutilations) and hundreds of billions of $$.  Yep, this President is a real strategerist.  rolleyes
Realistic estimates of Iraqi dead are roughly 50,000 to 75,, an order of magnitude smaller than that 650,000 figure.  For most of those 50-75k deaths, Iraqis and Iranians bear a high proportion of the responsibility, not the US.  By comparison, Saddam killed 182,000 Kurds in a single campaign.   The bottom line is that the execution of Saddam is well worth the cost in lives and dollars. 

Believe whatever you will, I care not.  I will continue to believe that George W Bush and the United States did the world one hell of a favor by unseating and executing Hussein.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »
I wonder how many of the numbers that folks have listed are akin to counting the shooters among "those gunned down" at Columbine?

Or thugs who end up committing suicide by cop, CCW holder, or an armed citizen during a home invasion?

Every one of those "poor dead souls" ends up getting counted as an "innocent victim of evil firearms" when Brady counts the bodies...

Their victims go uncounted.

Blog under construction

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2006, 06:29:37 AM »
Obviously, such is your right.

I will continue to believe that this ongoing "war," is a bad idea, poorly executed.

We did nobody a favour by throwing the Middle East into power vacuum chaos, committing ourselves to a land war in Asia, offering American dead (more, now, than were killed on 9/11) in exchange for zero impact -- they were never in Iraq -- on those who directly committed terrorist acts against us, and verifying that our indicated reason for invasion (WMD's) did not exist.

If the reasoning is that this is some form of humanitarian effort, those who support such blatently self-serving (and Imperialist) government actions would do well to reevaluate their position and for whom they vote.  Recall: there are plenty of "bad dudes" in the world that we leave alone and we had no interest -- besides arming him -- in this one until it suited our needs.

El Presidente Jorge Shrub, and the United States, screwed the pooch on this one.  A minority continue to buy his propoganda, as the Kool Aid has lost its appeal.  (Thankfully.)

I will continue to believe that George W Bush and the United States did the world one hell of a favor by unseating and executing Hussein.
Zeke

Paddy

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2006, 07:11:55 AM »
I will continue to believe that George W Bush and the United States did the world one hell of a favor by unseating and executing Hussein.
  Of course Saddam deserved execution, as do a number of other murderous tyrants around the world.  Unfortunately, their countries can't produce enough oil to threaten the standard of living of:

1) the House of Saud (and their virtual monopoly on the world supply) and/or
2) the U.S. (by trading oil in Euros rather than petrodollars)

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2006, 07:14:21 AM »
Wow.

In general, a similar theory to mine: but distilled much more effectively.

Of course Saddam deserved execution, as do a number of other murderous tyrants around the world.  Unfortunately, their countries can't produce enough oil to threaten the standard of living of:

2) the U.S. (by trading oil in Euros rather than petrodollars)
Zeke

LAK

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2006, 10:10:18 PM »
Yep, foresight is certainly 10/20, and you, I, and everyone else knows RIGHT NOW exactly what the political composition of the world, its various national governments, their leaders, etc., will be every day for the next 100 years.
Can't say that I know anyone personally, regardless of their view of this administration, the last one, or any before that who actually believe the notion that all involved in the decision process at the highest level - i.e. the president - have not known good and well what was and has been taking place under their various client state "leaders" over last three decades or more.

So it only boils down to whether some injustices were committed in the course of maintaining the status quo that these decision makers required. So let's not play some game of trying making it all to appear as some recent revelation - nor create or further the illusion that some kind of "justice" has been served in this case. It's nothing new to me or anyone I know.

----------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 02:31:19 PM »
Well said, well said.

So let's not play some game of trying making it all to appear as some recent revelation - nor create or further the illusion that some kind of "justice" has been served in this case. It's nothing new to me or anyone I know.
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »
Previous comments retracted in favor of a more conciliatory approach.

LAK, Zeke, let me offer an opinion that holds true regardless of your view on Iraq.  The two of you, on this matter, display a narrow and simplistic view of foreign policy.  

We didn't bust Saddam merely for being the Butcher of Baghdad.  

We didn't invade merely because he had WMD, or even because he wouldn't let the UN investigate whether he did or no.

We didn't invade merely because he had broken several UN resolutions.  

We didn't invade merely because he had supported Islamic and Palestinian terrorism and was eager to do more along those lines.  

We didn't invade merely because he broke the terms of his surrender after the first Gulf War.  Or because he fired on American planes afterward.  Or because he attempted to assassinate GHW Bush.  

We didn't invade merely because Iraq is a good place, geographically, to base forces in the Mid-East.  

We didn't invade merely to show the Muslim world that we were interested in their freedom and well-being.  

We didn't invade merely to clean up the swamp that is the Middle East.

We didn't invade simply because of the umpteen other good reasons I am forgetting about, don't know about, or don't have the clearance to know about.

We invaded for all of these reasons together.  It is childish to pick apart every reason, and say, "Pakistan has WMD, too, why don't you invade them?" or, "The Saudis support terrorism, too, why don't we take them out?"  Iraq is Iraq.  No other country is just like Iraq.  If it was, we might invade it, too, and you still wouldn't agree with it.  It is naive to think that we lost the "right" to take out Saddam by not taking him out earlier.  Now is Now.  No other time is just like Now.  By that same token, "supporting" bin Laden or Hussein in one conflict doesn't make us hypocrites when oppose one of them in another conflict.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
 A reasonable observer of history would understand that just about every 3rd and 4th world culture that got gobbled up by an imperialist or colonial power in the early 20th century (and before) is much better off for it than if they had been left to their own devices.  Was that imperialism or colonialism a messy and bloody effort?  That goes without saying.  But history and progress does not generally play out peacefully or in years or decades.  It takes longer and there is cost.

But then patience, and willingness to grasp reality never were virtues held by self righteous bystanders. 

Someone once said that "...if the Arabs ever laid down their arms there would be peace in the Middle East.  If Israel laid down their arms, Israel would cease to exist."  Further it has been said that two democracies have gone to war against each other...well, never.

The other thing that is getting tiresome are the comments made by keyboard commandos that Iraq had no connection to worldwide terror, nor harbored terrorists or that the tyrant Hussein had no WMD's or interest in them.  Every time I see these comments I am reminded of the the three monkeys and the woeful state of the leftist educational system.  Sigh......
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

LAK

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 12:21:38 AM »
Fistfull

Right, and this underscores my main point. 

We didn't invade merely because he had WMD, or even because he wouldn't let the UN investigate whether he did or no.

This is a bone of contention as far as I am concerned. There were no proven WMD, and had I been Hussein - I would have told the "U.N." to get stuffed as well.

We didn't invade merely because he had broken several UN resolutions.

As above. 

We didn't invade merely because he had supported Islamic and Palestinian terrorism and was eager to do more along those lines.

I don't buy this for a second. Hussein was fairly educated, starting in the late 70s began to start a major industrial program. Iraqis per capita enjoyed among the highest levels of education and liberty in the entire middle east - argueably bar none. A million Catholics openly practicing along with Muslims of various denominations - a far cry from Saudi Arabia and a good number of other proximate nations.

Even if Hussein had been involved in some questionable activities, getting involved with Islamic loonies (the very ones that were a threat to civilized Iraq and his government to begin with) and "terrorists" would be literal suicide - national and personal. He and all around him would have known this without a shadow of a doubt.

We didn't invade merely because he broke the terms of his surrender after the first Gulf War.  Or because he fired on American planes afterward.  Or because he attempted to assassinate GHW Bush.

The so-called Gulf War was wrong to begin with (see above). The second two points are questionable as facts to begin with. The fact is, the last two administrations had been gunning for a feud with Iraq and an excuse to go. Bush Sr's performing lady before Congress, the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador, about "Saddam throwing babies out of incubators" etc proved that very well. Liars lie, and you really can't trust what these people say, presented by their commie news network or in any other non-challengeable form.  

We didn't invade merely because Iraq is a good place, geographically, to base forces in the Mid-East.

Maybe, maybe not. The big prize, the Caspian sea area lies just beyond. The area we just happen to be building bases and military ties with other states.

We didn't invade merely to show the Muslim world that we were interested in their freedom and well-being.

Got that right. 

We didn't invade merely to clean up the swamp that is the Middle East

Clean it up, no. Continue a regional corporate-gov geo-political agenda - yes. It certainly was one of the reasons.

We invaded for all of these reasons together.  It is childish to pick apart every reason, and say, "Pakistan has WMD, too, why don't you invade them?" or, "The Saudis support terrorism, too, why don't we take them out?"  Iraq is Iraq.  No other country is just like Iraq.  If it was, we might invade it, too, and you still wouldn't agree with it.  It is naive to think that we lost the "right" to take out Saddam by not taking him out earlier.  Now is Now.  No other time is just like Now.  By that same token, "supporting" bin Laden or Hussein in one conflict doesn't make us hypocrites when oppose one of them in another conflict.
You can not compartmentalize this kind of thing - or any aspect of it - morally or legally.

An enormous injustice has been done to a great number of people there, not the least of them our own soldiers who have suffered or died in the name of this horrendous fraud.

-------------------------------

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 02:58:47 AM »
While my overall conclusion may be slightly different, I side with you in the complete rejection of  Fistful's "holistic" approach to worldwide Imperialism and Team America self-righteousness.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't have minded his "less conciliatory" response.  My skin is not one of which anyone should be worried.  Smiley

Quote from: LAK
An enormous injustice has been done to a great number of people there, not the least of them our own soldiers who have suffered or died in the name of this horrendous fraud.
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 07:22:34 AM »
In all seriousness, I wouldn't have minded his "less conciliatory" response.  My skin is not one of which anyone should be worried. 

Actually, I withdrew my comments because they didn't further discussion; they were merely dismissive.  In those comments, I accused you and LAK of playing childish games with foreign policy.  I don't begrudge anyone their honest and informed opinion that the Iraq war was a bad move.  I could even be persuaded to agree with such people.  My opinion on the war is not set either way and I'm not trying to persuade anyone in either direction.  I just see a lot of overnight foreign policy experts using poor arguments against the war.  It is clear you are out of your depth in these matters, and are guided merely by a knee-jerk reflex to distrust government or just the US govt., I'm not sure which.  This isn't just a personal irritant, it is a world-wide idiocy that has turned a minor and moderately successful war into a foreign policy liability.  The occupation of Iraq (no, I'm not embarassed by "occupation") was difficult enough without broadcasting to the Islamic world that we are war-mongers or oil-mongers.  I thank you and your brethren world-wide and especially in the press. 

Rather than seriously consider foreign policy, you would rather play Gotcha about the lack of WMD.  You don't understand that the mere risk of Saddam's having WMD was a good reason to invade, considering the other circumstances.  Neither do you know whether WMD was smuggled out of the country before the invasion.  In addition, you are probably one of those misled into the notion that nations must provide proof of some injury before they attack another nation.  This just doesn't reflect the real world or any knowledge of history or foreign policy on your part. 

You would rather exult in appearing to think for yourself, by opposing the "rush to war," than think seriously about the reasons for the war or the consequences of impugning the efforts we are now committed to.  This is made clear by your inability to let an Iraq thread go by without letting us all know that you don't support the war.  I could almost post your comments for you - "The Iraq war was a failure from the start.  If you support the war, you're an imperialist stooge."  Could you possibly consider that Imperialism requires more than one small war?  Might you consider that carping is now worse than useless, in fact dangerous, and resolving the situation is all that matters?   

LAK, some of my comments to Ezekiel may apply to you, some may not.  I don't know if your uninformed or out of your depth, but I do find you applying the same simplistic analysis to the Iraq situation and playing the same childish games. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 11:51:27 AM »
Fistfull

Right, and this underscores my main point. 

...so, because it wasn't the SOLE reason, we get no credit for it???  sad

This is a bone of contention as far as I am concerned. There were no proven WMD,

Nizar Nayuf (Nayyouf-Nayyuf), a Syrian journalist who recently defected from Syria to Western Europe and is known for bravely challenging the Syrian regime, said in a letter Monday, January 5, to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, that he knows the three sites where Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) are kept.

Doctor Gary Samore of the International Institute for Strategic Studies noted that during the 2003 invasion, there was "chatter" among Iraqi forces that was interpreted to mean that a chemical weapons attack was ordered.

On 3 February 2004, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw announced an independent inquiry, to be chaired by Lord Butler of Brockwell, to examine the reliability of British intelligence relating to alleged weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.[72]

The Butler Review was published 14 July 2004.

One notable excerpt:

"We conclude that, on the basis of the intelligence assessments at the time, covering both Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statements on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa in the Government's dossier, and by the Prime Minister in the House of Commons, were well-founded. By extension, we conclude also that the statement in President Bush's State of the Union Address of 28 January 2003 that 'The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa' was well-founded."

On May 2, 2004 a shell containing mustard gas, was found in the middle of street west of Baghdad.

On May 16, 2004 a 152mm artillery shell was used as an improvised bomb.(Iraq's Chemical Warfare Program Annex F. Retrieved on 2005-06-29.) The shell exploded and two U.S. soldiers were treated for minor exposure to a nerve agent (nausea and dilated pupils). On May 18 it was reported by U.S. Department of Defense intelligence officials that tests showed the two-chambered shell contained the chemical agent sarin, the shell being "likely" to have contained three to four liters of the substance.

After he was captured by U.S. forces in Baghdad in 2003, Dr. Mahdi Obeidi, who ran Saddam's nuclear centrifuge program until 1997, handed over blueprints for a nuclear centrifuge along with some actual centrifuge components, stored at his home  buried in the front yard  awaiting orders from Baghdad to proceed.

October 3, 2003 - David Kay's Iraq Survey Group report that finds no stockpiles of WMD in Iraq, although it states the government intended to develop more weapons with additional capabilities. Weapons inspectors in Iraq do find some "biological laboratories" and a collection of "reference strains", including a strain of botulinum bacteria, "ought to have been declared to the UN." Kay testifies that Iraq had not fully complied with UN inspections. In some cases, equipment and materials subject to UN monitoring had been kept hidden from UN inspectors. "So there was a WMD program. It was going ahead. It was rudimentary in many areas," Kay would say in a later interview. In other cases, Iraq had simply lied to the UN in its weapons programs.

According to Kay, Iraq worked on WMDs right under the noses of UNMOVIC. Kay said that Iraq had tried to weaponize ricin "right up until" Operation Iraqi Freedom.

FROM David Kay's statement on the interim report of the ISG[97]:

"We have not yet found stocks of weapons, but we are not yet at the point where we can say definitively either that such weapon stocks do not exist or that they existed before the war and our only task is to find where they have gone. We are actively engaged in searching for such weapons based on information being supplied to us by Iraqis."

"With regard to delivery systems, the ISG team has discovered sufficient evidence to date to conclude that the Iraqi regime was committed to delivery system improvements that would have, if OIF had not occurred, dramatically breached UN restrictions placed on Iraq after the 1991 Gulf War."

"ISG has gathered testimony from missile designers at Al Kindi State Company that Iraq has reinitiated work on converting SA-2 Surface-to-Air Missiles into ballistic missiles with a range goal of about 250km. Engineering work was reportedly underway in early 2003, despite the presence of UNMOVIC. This program was not declared to the UN."

"ISG has developed multiple sources of testimony, which is corroborated in part by a captured document, that Iraq undertook a program aimed at increasing the HY-2's range and permitting its use as a land-attack missile. These efforts extended the HY-2's range from its original 100km to 150-180km. Ten modified missiles were delivered to the military prior to OIF and two of these were fired from Umm Qasr during OIF -- one was shot down and one hit Kuwait."

Another notable statement is the following:

"We have discovered dozens of WMD-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations during the inspections that began in late 2002."

HOW MUCH PROOF DO YOU NEED???

and had I been Hussein - I would have told the "U.N." to get stuffed as well.

Actions have consequences.

I don't buy this for a second.

In a January 26, 2004 interview with Tom Brokaw of NBC news, Mr. Kay described Iraq's nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons programs as being in a "rudimentary" stage. He also stated that "What we did find, and as others are investigating it, we found a lot of terrorist groups and individuals that passed through Iraq."[98] In responding to a question by Mr. Brokaw as to whether Iraq was a "gathering threat" as President Bush had asserted before the invasion, Mr. Kay answered:

Tom, an imminent threat is a political judgment. Its not a technical judgment. I think Baghdad was actually becoming more dangerous in the last two years than even we realized. Saddam was not controlling the society any longer. In the marketplace of terrorism and of WMD, Iraq well could have been that supplier if the war had not intervened.

Hussein was fairly educated, starting in the late 70s began to start a major industrial program.

...which included the Osirik nuclear reactor. Why does a country with that much oil need a nuclear reactor?  For bonus points, describe the god Osiris for whom the reactor complex was named, and list key events in the race for the Islamic Bomb.

Even if Hussein had been involved in some questionable activities, getting involved with Islamic loonies (the very ones that were a threat to civilized Iraq and his government to begin with) and "terrorists" would be literal suicide - national and personal. He and all around him would have known this without a shadow of a doubt.

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein provided bases, training camps, and other support to terrorist groups fighting the governments of neighboring Turkey and Iran, as well as to Palestinian terror groups. Iraq has helped the Iranian dissident group Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, the Kurdistan Workers' Party, a separatist organization fighting the Turkish government, and several far-left Palestinian splinter groups that oppose peace with Israel. Iraq also hosted the mercenary Abu Nidal Organization, whose leader was found dead in Baghdad in August 2002. Saddam was a secular dictator, and his regime generally tended to support secular terrorist groups rather than Islamists such as al-Qaeda, experts say. But Iraq also supported some Islamist Palestinian groups opposed to Israel.  In violation of international law, Iraq has also sheltered specific terrorists wanted by other countries, reportedly including:

- Abu Nidal, who, until he was found dead in Baghdad in August 2002, led an organization responsible for attacks that killed some 300 people.
 - Palestine Liberation Front leader Abu Abbas, who was responsible for the 1985 hijacking of the Achille Laurocruise ship in the Mediterranean. Abbas was captured by U.S. forces April 15.
 - Two Saudis who hijacked a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight to Baghdad in 2000.
Abdul Rahman Yasin, who is on the FBI's "most wanted terrorists" list for his alleged role in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Iraq has also provided financial support for Palestinian terror groups, including Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the Palestine Liberation Front, and the Arab Liberation Front, and it channeled money to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. In April 2002, Iraq increased the amount of such payments from $10,000 to $25,000. Experts say that by promoting Israeli-Palestinian violence, Saddam may have hoped to make it harder for the United States to win Arab support for a campaign against Iraq.
]
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »
RichYoung, that might be the best post I have seen from you. Factual, accurate, making great points.  Too bad it won't do any good.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 12:28:25 PM »
RichYoung, that might be the best post I have seen from you. Factual, accurate, making great points.  Too bad it won't do any good.

I know we have had, and continue to have differences of opinion, but the war against Islamo-Fascism is a war for the very survival of western civilization, and we only get once chance to loose... everything post 9/11 is different, and right now, Israel is on the front lines of this fight.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

LAK

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 12:30:18 AM »
Fistful
and are guided merely by a knee-jerk reflex to distrust government or just the US govt

This is very far from the truth. Which is what this is basically all about; truths vs falsehoods. In this case, as in many other cases I could refer to - a big, bloody and costly fraud.

Running up to the great gulf fraud George Herbert Walker Bush repeated the outright lies in public speeches, as did Dan Quayle, conjured up by George H W's former Chief of Staff, Craig Fuller and his PR firm for $10m and performed by budding, weeping actress Nayirah.

The teary eyed fifteen year old was a real academy award candidate. Before members of our Congress she testified that she had seen Hussein's storm troopers "throwing babies out of incubators" in Kuwait - but claimed she could not give her name for "fear of reprisals".

When the truth came out, not only was Nayirah not in Kuwait for any of this alleged atrocity, she just happened to be the daughter of Sheik yo'money Saud Nasir al-Sabah - Kuwait's Ambassador to the United States. Even Amnesty International was dignified enough to issue a retraction. Not George H W Bush; he had won over a sceptical Congress and a good slice of the gullible public with "Saddam is murdering babies". Which had been obligingly drummed coast to coast by the "liberal-left-we-hate-Bush-media" - and were not as fervent in spreading the news of the truth later on.

You see, you just can not trust people who lie, or people that suppport them whether it is before, during or after the fact. Liars lie.

--------------------------------------