Author Topic: Alien Covenant  (Read 4854 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Alien Covenant
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
I am a long-time Alien movie fan.  I went to see Alien:Covenant last night, and I was somewhat disappointed.  It struck me as a mash-up of the first and second movies: ship responds to distress signal, sends landing party, aliens kill most of the crew on the ground, survivors fight aliens on the ship, the crew jettisons the alien from the ship.  The most innovative thing was Michael Fassbinder playing two roles, but many would argue he was the prequel to Ash in the first movie.  Daniels is no Ripley. 

Ridley Scott thinks he will make two more prequels after Covenant leading up to the events in Alien to tie everything together.  Hmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Alien Covenant
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
Just received the paperback  novelization from  Amazon today.   Don't know whether to read it first or see the movie first......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »
Which is why I don't go to movies anymore.  Wife2 used to drag me by the pecker kicking and screaming to the theatre.  She apparently loved the chewing gum on the seats, the exorbitant prices for snacks and sodas, the people yakking in the row behind you, the idiotic ring tone on "that dude's" phone in front of you, et cetera ad infinitum.

I prefer to wait a couple of years for stuff to show up on TV, where if something just plain stinks, I can switch channels or read a book.  I'm not a captive to the ten bucks I spent for a ticket to watch crap.  Oh, twenty, counting Wife2's ticket.

I rarely watch TV "actively" since I'm usually involved in something else until girls, gunshots, gore, or getaways pique my interest on the "toob." Well, I guess that would be "on the LEDs" nowadays.

I was pleasantly surprised when the movie "Chicago" was on and it caught my interest, so I actually sat down and watched it.

For free.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Girls n' guns... Thompsons, to be exact. Well, two out of four ain't bad.):

Probably NSFW on general principles

https://youtu.be/luef1H24hU8

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:37:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
I enjoyed the original Alien, really like Aliens (who doesn't want their own M41A Pulse Rifle?).  I had hope that Covenant would be decent. Bring the series back.

As to movies, I still like going to see a movie.  The theater near me has $5 Tuesdays.  All movies are $5.  They have the lounger type seats, which are great.  That said, I bet I only go to the theater 4-5 times a year.  Hollywood doesn't put out what I want to go see...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »
Mtnbkr and I went to see Prometheus in the theater when it was first out.

Beautifully filmed movie, but part way through I looked over and Mtnbkr is checking his watch...

I was feeling the exact same way, except I don't wear a watch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
As to movies, I still like going to see a movie.  The theater near me has $5 Tuesdays.  All movies are $5.  They have the lounger type seats, which are great.  That said, I bet I only go to the theater 4-5 times a year.  Hollywood doesn't put out what I want to go see...

For Covenant, I drove 70 miles round trip specifically to see it at the Cinnebarre theater in Mountlake Terrace.  They have food service during the movie and comfortable rocker high-back seats.  I had a 22 ounce glass of Georgetown Lucille IPA and the Reservoir Dogs: two all-beef grilled frankfurters with sriracha slaw and bacon jam with home-made BBQ potato chips.  I wish wish wish that more theaters offered this amenity and the closest one to me was not 70 miles round trip.  I go to the theater less than five times per year, and the majority of the time, I go to the closest decent theater, which is a 45 mile round trip.  But they don't have the food service.

PS: this does remind me of another First World problem: why don't more restaurants offer a decent hot dog?  Everyone has burgers, for example, but relatively few offer a hot dog.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:04:58 AM »
I used to go with the ex and friends to one of the "cinema & drafthouse" theaters in DC metro years ago.

Neat place to see a movie and have dinner at the same time.

The one we used to go to was in a historic theater in Bethesda, Maryland. It did well into the 2000s, then got caught up in an area redevelopment that made it virtually impossible to get to. It struggled on for awhile, closed, reopened, closed, and then finally crapped out and reopened as a jazz club.

Very sorry to see it go.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
Alien was amazing of course, and Aliens was a good sequel... different, but you can't beat Alien so it made sense.

Prometheus was beyond bad. Like, really Really bad. Like, how could you even screw up this bad, bad. I want my $10.95 back bad.

I have a theory that all the digital technology actually is making them lazy. They said it wouldn't; they said it would just remove drudgery, but along the way, it removed respect for the medium. It turns out you can't fix everything in post.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
Which is why I don't go to movies anymore.  Wife2 used to drag me by the pecker kicking and screaming to the theatre.  She apparently loved the chewing gum on the seats, the exorbitant prices for snacks and sodas, the people yakking in the row behind you, the idiotic ring tone on "that dude's" phone in front of you, et cetera ad infinitum.

I prefer to wait a couple of years for stuff to show up on TV, where if something just plain stinks, I can switch channels or read a book.  I'm not a captive to the ten bucks I spent for a ticket to watch crap.  Oh, twenty, counting Wife2's ticket.

A lot of theaters are well aware that they were getting a reputation for being expensive, uncomfortable and facing ever more competition. The smarter ones started moving in direction of some combination of lower pricing, more comfortable seats, serving alcohol or food, showing older popular movies, themed events, etc.

I'm lucky that a nearby small theater is well priced $8 for 'prime' timeslots, $5 for matinee, serves alcohol (beer, wine) and reasonably priced snacks. It is an absolutely beautiful 1920's red velvet and chrome. Seats aren't ergonomic, because probably close to original so I deal.

There's other options these days. I'm a fan of the classic date of dinner and a movie.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »
We saw Alien Covenant the other night and went home unimpressed. We didn't even discuss the movie on the ride home, which is the hallmark of a good movie for us. The solitary comment I can recall from dinner the following evening is that neither of us thought it was scary. On the other hand, I did like Prometheus enough to buy on blu-ray in addition to the rest of our Alien collection. It looks great and sounds good, you just have to ignore all the humans and most of the plot. I also have some appreciation for Charlize Theron in futuristic corporate space uniforms.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
I didn't dislike Prometheus.

I just didn't like it very much.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
Alien - Awesome!
Aliens - Kick ass!
3 - meh.
Resurrection - wtf?
Prometheus - meh.
Covenant - not gonna pay money to see it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Alien - Awesome!
Aliens - Kick ass!
3 - meh.
Resurrection - wtf?
Prometheus - meh.
Covenant - not gonna pay money to see it.

About the same here. I liked Resurrection better than 3 because while it was a bit WTF, 3 was incredibly boring to me.

Prometheus was kind of WTF AND boring. Switching about ten minutes of nonsensical script for ten minutes of explanatory script would have made all the difference.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
I enjoyed Resurrection, but it was not a good Aliens movie.

Prometheus is entertaining, but not "movie theater" worthy.  Some of the actions taken by the characters were mind boggling (biologists reaching out to touch xenomorphs?  Person running from rolling space ship can't turn 90 degrees to get out of path?).

Based on what I've heard about Covenant, I'll wait till it hits Redbox or Netflix.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »
"Some of the actions taken by the characters were mind boggling (biologists reaching out to touch xenomorphs?  Person running from rolling space ship can't turn 90 degrees to get out of path?)."

Or, my personal favorite...

We're a ship of scientists, archaeologists, etc... So let's land the ship smack dead in the middle of our targeted exploration area!

Uh oh, captain... I think we broke a bunch of stuff when we landed...

That's OK. I'm sure there's more than enough rich tapestry remaining to get us to the end of this movie and on into the sequel.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
A lot of theaters are well aware that they were getting a reputation for being expensive, uncomfortable and facing ever more competition. The smarter ones started moving in direction of some combination of lower pricing, more comfortable seats, serving alcohol or food, showing older popular movies, themed events, etc.

I didn't know that, RevDisk, so thanks.  Other posts alerted me to this fact, too.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
The National Review take on this movie was pretty brutal, bordering on unhinged
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447756/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-inane-obscene
I liked most of the other movies in this series, not sure what to make of this though.
He read way more symbolism into it than I had gotten out of the other movies...
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
I didn't know that, RevDisk, so thanks.  Other posts alerted me to this fact, too.

Unfortunately, it's all hit or miss. So all the theaters in your area could be terrible. There just happens to be a counter movement of theater owners that want to address problems so they don't go out of business. I admit, I'm a sucker for the local theater with very nice reclining seats and good beer on tap.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »

PS: this does remind me of another First World problem: why don't more restaurants offer a decent hot dog?  Everyone has burgers, for example, but relatively few offer a hot dog.

Lots of Greek owned hole in the wall places around here (Chicagoland) with great hot dogs.  They all have Gyros and Vienna Beef Hot Dogs, served with everything to include a dill pickle spear and celery salt.   Dammit, now I'm hungry.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
The National Review take on this movie was pretty brutal, bordering on unhinged
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447756/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-inane-obscene
I liked most of the other movies in this series, not sure what to make of this though.
He read way more symbolism into it than I had gotten out of the other movies...

He described Alien Resurrection as "exquisite, languorous, and tense."   

In other words, he's full of *expletive deleted*it.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
The nat review *expletive deleted*che is just pissed because there are no lesbionic transpecies aliens of color in the movie.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
Alien Resurrection was complete *expletive deleted*it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
Unfortunately, it's all hit or miss. So all the theaters in your area could be terrible. There just happens to be a counter movement of theater owners that want to address problems so they don't go out of business. I admit, I'm a sucker for the local theater with very nice reclining seats and good beer on tap.

We have a quite a few that sell alcohol in San Antonio. One has free movie Thursday in which they show an older film and the tickets are free. I'd say they make a lot of money even then. I know I've spent a minimum of $50 all the times I've went with my wife and that was just on beer (32oz mug is our standard) and food. It generally turns out cheaper to go watch a free movie and buy beer and food than it does to go to a bar and buy beer and food, for us anyways.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:42 AM »
they completely copped out on some of the lore that I had HOPED would be explained by this movie (from the first movie)...

and now it's just another "evil AI does bad things" movie.

I'm done
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »
How DARE you question the Evil AI?