Author Topic: Most Expensive Homes for Sale in Each State  (Read 5608 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Most Expensive Homes for Sale in Each State
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
The most expensive home currently on the market in each state. Vermont comes with a shooting range.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/expensive-homes-sale-state/?ecampaign=con_eyecandy&eurl=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fexpensive-homes-sale-state%2F
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Most Expensive Homes for Sale in Each State
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
The Maine house and grounds were gorgeous.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:53 AM »
The Texas one would have been nic except for the location. Too much money to live right in the city.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:40:40 AM »
The one in SC for $4.81 is in my price range !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
Why do they all have more bathrooms than bedrooms? Isn't that sort of weird?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
Why do they all have more bathrooms than bedrooms? Isn't that sort of weird?

I have not yet been able to figure out if that's a typo or glitch in the software in the listing or if it's some kind of rich folk trend. I've been on the sites a lot lately looking at property and see that a lot on higher to outrageously priced homes, so am leaning towards "rich folk trend". Maybe private bath in every bedroom and then a common bathroom or two.  Also a lot of rural homes with big shops next to them have a bathroom in the shop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »
The Wyoming location is amazing- inside Yellowstone!  Lovely house too.  That's my favorite.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »

I'm just amazed at how ugly and badly designed some of these actually are. Even ones where it wouldn't be my dream house, like Georgia, I can see that it scores nicely in looks, function, form and whatnot.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3238042932-135-Mountain-Arrow-Dr-Camden-ME-04843

Maine is the best one, for my tastes. Looks decently built from what I can tell but who knows. Plenty of windows but not too much. Interior is nice. Beautiful landscaping, good design. Some of these houses that cost literally multiple times as much have worse landscaping than my house.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
The most expensive home currently on the market in each state. Vermont comes with a shooting range.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/expensive-homes-sale-state/?ecampaign=con_eyecandy&eurl=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fexpensive-homes-sale-state%2F
The Pennsylvania home has an underground shooting range.

The one in Tennessee doesn't look very impressive for the price. Maybe it's on a lot - and I do mean a LOT - of land?

Some of the homes (e.g., Oklahoma) just look weird.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
Once again California wins for ugliest and most over-priced.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
Once again California wins for ugliest and most over-priced.

I'm just surprised it was LA and not Montecito. Though the Montecito estates are usually pretty nice. Most of that expensive stuff in LA and Beverly Hills is kinda ugly to me.

I also really liked Maine. Then most of the more rural properties in the West.

I was surprised at the Yellowstone home. I actually had no idea NPS would allow that. I wonder if it's "Yellowstone area" but just outside of the park boundaries?  I wouldn't want to deal with the snow there though.  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
I have not yet been able to figure out if that's a typo or glitch in the software in the listing or if it's some kind of rich folk trend. I've been on the sites a lot lately looking at property and see that a lot on higher to outrageously priced homes, so am leaning towards "rich folk trend". Maybe private bath in every bedroom and then a common bathroom or two.  Also a lot of rural homes with big shops next to them have a bathroom in the shop.
I used to have a 2 bed room/2.5 bath townhome.  Full bathroom for each bedroom and a half bathroom downstairs.  Might start as something like that and they end up with more rooms that are not bedrooms which changes the ratio.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
Maybe private bath in every bedroom and then a common bathroom or two.

This is correct.  Usually a common bathroom on each level, so no one needs to go into a bedroom to get to a bathroom.  And the really large houses might have bathrooms near specialty areas such as a game room, theater room, or pool house.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
I have not yet been able to figure out if that's a typo or glitch in the software in the listing or if it's some kind of rich folk trend. I've been on the sites a lot lately looking at property and see that a lot on higher to outrageously priced homes, so am leaning towards "rich folk trend". Maybe private bath in every bedroom and then a common bathroom or two.  Also a lot of rural homes with big shops next to them have a bathroom in the shop.

Not even for the ultra-rich. The trend now in "up-scale" houses is that every bedroom has to be a suite, with its own bathroom. Then you add in one or two for the visitors (not overnight guests, the casual visitors and dinner guests), and maybe another for the shop or garage, and the count climbs rapidly.

My uncle did basically that when he inherited my grandfather's summer house in Maine. He took a nice, semi-rustic cottage that had five bedrooms and two mathrooms, and remodeled it to four bedrooms and either three or four bathrooms. (I think three -- there was one bedroom that didn't have any adjacent space that could be made into a bathroom.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »
I'm just surprised it was LA and not Montecito. Though the Montecito estates are usually pretty nice. Most of that expensive stuff in LA and Beverly Hills is kinda ugly to me.

I was surprised at the Yellowstone home. I actually had no idea NPS would allow that. I wonder if it's "Yellowstone area" but just outside of the park boundaries?  I wouldn't want to deal with the snow there though.  :laugh:

It said its inside the park. It may be on a parcel that was privately owned at the time the park was created. Such things did happen when the big, famous national parks were created.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
two mathrooms

I suppose that brings new meaning to "number 1" or "number 2".  Or maybe he really liked math...

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
It said its inside the park. It may be on a parcel that was privately owned at the time the park was created. Such things did happen when the big, famous national parks were created.

Could be. I hear of that a lot out this way, but mostly on Forest Service land and it's a 99 year lease so you only own the house, not the land. I've never heard of it on NPS land until now. They're usually pretty persnickety about people in the park.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
Could be. I hear of that a lot out this way, but mostly on Forest Service land and it's a 99 year lease so you only own the house, not the land. I've never heard of it on NPS land until now. They're usually pretty persnickety about people in the park.

Wish we could get a 99 year lease on our cabin.  All the FS does is 20's and gets more likely to not renew each time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
Wish we could get a 99 year lease on our cabin.  All the FS does is 20's and gets more likely to not renew each time.

Oh, maybe they changed that. There were a lot of cabins in the hills above where I used to live, and one of the people living in them that I knew said they had 99 year leases there. Given the other stuff Forest Service and BLM have been up to, I can see them looking for every way possible to legally remove all those private residences.

That would actually scare me a bit if I were looking to pay millions for that house in Yellowstone. That could all be money down the drain.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »
This lease has been in place and renewed every 20 years since the early 1930's.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »

I'm curious about the South Dakota home that is apparently built on top of a golf course on hole 15. ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »

Don't remember what park or parks, but I've seen maps of some national parks that look like a patchwork quilt. If the people own the property the house sits on, technically it isn't "in" the park -- it's private land surrounded by national park land.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »

Looks like it's not actually "in" the park.

Home Details for Yellowstone Ranch Preserve

It is hard to imagine that a place like this still exists. A large parcel located within 2 miles of Yellowstone Park with over a mile of lakeshore, gently rolling hills, a charming cabin, and newly constructed marina. It is shared with many wild inhabitants including bison, elk, bear, eagles and rainbow trout. Opportunity exists for additional homesites, while maintaining conservation easement.

Features of this property

Information last updated on 02/10/2017 12:00 AM:

Price: $19,500,000
        3 Bedrooms
        2 full Bathrooms
        Single-Family Home
        Lot Size: 753.43 acres
        Built in 1997
        MLS/Source ID: 205425
        Zip: 59758
        2,702 sqft
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:18:22 PM by Hawkmoon »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
https://www.trulia.com/property/3238042932-135-Mountain-Arrow-Dr-Camden-ME-04843

Maine is the best one, for my tastes. Looks decently built from what I can tell but who knows. Plenty of windows but not too much. Interior is nice. Beautiful landscaping, good design. Some of these houses that cost literally multiple times as much have worse landscaping than my house.

Hey, Camden was part of my old stomping grounds.  I lived two towns over from 1988-1994.  My first full-time summer job was in Camden.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
My grandparents lived across Penobscot Bay from Camden. When kids in town wanted to go to the movies we had a choice: we either drove 36 miles to Bangor, or took a boat across to Camden. Both were fun, but the boat carried more people.