Author Topic: Oldest Homo Sapiens  (Read 1692 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oldest Homo Sapiens
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
Possibly an older specimen of Homo sapiens than we previously knew of. On the requisite tangent, "green Sahara". Three hundred thousand years ago, and that's climate people.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/06/08/scientists-find-oldest-known-specimens-human-species.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Oldest Homo Sapiens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
Possibly an older specimen of Homo sapiens than we previously knew of. On the requisite tangent, "green Sahara". Three hundred thousand years ago, and that's climate people.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/06/08/scientists-find-oldest-known-specimens-human-species.html

What I find interesting is that this is now challenging (if people would follow the implications) the theory that humans originated in East Africa. If humans were further west and north long before the site of the "original" humans, it seems to me we have absolutely no idea where humans originated, no?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »
What I find interesting is that this is now challenging (if people would follow the implications) the theory that humans originated in East Africa. If humans were further west and north long before the site of the "original" humans, it seems to me we have absolutely no idea where humans originated, no?

Indeed. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading Robert Kaplan's "The Revenge of Geography", which fast forwards a few hundred thousand years give or take, and also outlines reasons why interior sub-saharan Africa was not conducive to the expansion of humans and civilization, unlike more amenable landscapes at different latitudes with fewer physical barriers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
Relocating the origins of humans?

Sounds racist to me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
Indeed. Coincidentally, I'm currently reading Robert Kaplan's "The Revenge of Geography", which fast forwards a few hundred thousand years give or take, and also outlines reasons why interior sub-saharan Africa was not conducive to the expansion of humans and civilization, unlike more amenable landscapes at different latitudes with fewer physical barriers.

My immediate thought was that the "Cradle of Civilization" may also have been the "Cradle of human life". Would make sense that the place humans started also built civilization faster. (Judging by how "frontiers" tend to work in more recent history.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
Really interesting, thanks for posting.

The earliest known hominoid fossils were found further south though, right?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
My immediate thought was that the "Cradle of Civilization" may also have been the "Cradle of human life". Would make sense that the place humans started also built civilization faster. (Judging by how "frontiers" tend to work in more recent history.)

The confluence of the Pishon and Gihon, and the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »
From shows I have seen, it would be wherever conditions existed that challenged them to evolve, organize, and be smarter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
From shows I have seen, it would be wherever conditions existed that challenged them to evolve, organize, and be smarter. 

This. The cushiest place to live may not have enough selection pressures to move things along.

A lot of things in the human physique are well suited to being a omnivore, who practices at least partial persistence-hunting in hot climates.  Some of the most efficient endurance locomotion of any animal on the planet, the ability to sweat and manage heat etc.

So while finding a new fossil find, and a new "oldest" this or that in the family tree of the Hominids will change some parts of the story, I doubt the overall broad plot-lines, that we originated somewhere in Africa is going to change a ton. People don't have a very good grasp of "deep time". Even the paleontologists who dig these things up, most of them probably don't really comprehend it on a gut-level.

When you start dealing in even "small" chunks of geological time, that's more than plenty for any group of humans or proto-humans to get just about anywhere in Africa and Eurasia, just through natural drift of where they were living, not even counting intentional migrations.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »

So.... anywhere EXCEPT Armed Polite Society...

:rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
This. The cushiest place to live may not have enough selection pressures to move things along.

A lot of things in the human physique are well suited to being a omnivore, who practices at least partial persistence-hunting in hot climates.  Some of the most efficient endurance locomotion of any animal on the planet, the ability to sweat and manage heat etc.

So while finding a new fossil find, and a new "oldest" this or that in the family tree of the Hominids will change some parts of the story, I doubt the overall broad plot-lines, that we originated somewhere in Africa is going to change a ton. People don't have a very good grasp of "deep time". Even the paleontologists who dig these things up, most of them probably don't really comprehend it on a gut-level.

When you start dealing in even "small" chunks of geological time, that's more than plenty for any group of humans or proto-humans to get just about anywhere in Africa and Eurasia, just through natural drift of where they were living, not even counting intentional migrations.
Considering entire civilizations have been lost in time, it should surprise anyone that we don't know everything.  All we can do is make educated guesses using the information we have.  That is why I am always a bit surprised when some of these guys act like the current estimations are written in stone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
What this means is that we're all going to need a new toner cartridge and a ream of paper to update the family tree.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »
They could have saved a lot of research grant money if they'd just come here first and poked around a bit.  We have some of the oldest homo sapiens right here on APS.  Real caveman types.

edited to remove extraneous word
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:39:46 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Ugh.  Ndimf.  Midskem!  Bmawak.  Temoku.  Ffffstfu. Fffawt.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Ugh.  Ndimf.  Midskem!  Bmawak.  Temoku.  Ffffstfu. Fffawt.

COVFEFE!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »
From the title, I was half expecting a story on Larry King.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
I've always wondered why people seem to think in terms of "one time" or "one place" for the origin of any species or characteristic --or, indeed, life itself.

In terms of "deep time" and vast geographical areas, there seems to be no reason to assume that whatever Goldilocks circumstances which occured here, in this place and time, and led to some change, are unique.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.