Author Topic: Anyone have a source for a list of false media stories about Trump?  (Read 4676 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Anyone have a source for a list of false media stories about Trump?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

There are also some interesting parallels to Bill Clinton and this attitude:I don't think the end result is good for conservatism.

I had found myself over the past 8 years thinking that I'd love to have Bill Clinton back over leftist Obama. When Bill got smacked by the electorate, he responded and changed. Obama doubled down.

I'm fairly certain we've gotten the third term for Bill Clinton. (It wasn't Hillary running for it, but Trump.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »

There are some interesting parallels to Bill Clinton and this attitude:I don't think the end result is good for conservatism.

Except those of us with the "That's how you got Trump" attitude are not devoted to Trump. We mostly just hate preachy whiners that want to tell us how to live. We're pretty much the opposite of the people that were devoted to Clinton and Obama. You won't ever see me wearing a "Trump as Christ" tshirt (though I would wear a "Mattis as Christ tshirt   =D  ) or walking around mesmerized, or lying for Trump.

My voting against Hillary Clinton wasn't bad for conservatism, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Except those of us with the "That's how you got Trump" attitude are not devoted to Trump.

Maybe the source of your devotion is different but if you truly mean what you said "I don't care how bad Trump is or becomes, I'm supporting him" then the result is effectively the same.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Maybe the source of your devotion is different but if you truly mean what you said "I don't care how bad Trump is or becomes, I'm supporting him" then the result is effectively the same.

Seriously? You can't tell what venting is? Which is fairly clear in the context of my full post, plus all the other posts where I'm complaining about SJWs, antifas, and buttinski celebrities.

If fistful, whose fault everything is, aggravates me and I say, "man, I could kill that guy!", are we taking that literally as well?

Not to mention that I might not care what's good or bad for conservatism, given that I'm a republitarian. Our politics aren't binary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
I had found myself over the past 8 years thinking that I'd love to have Bill Clinton back over leftist Obama. When Bill got smacked by the electorate, he responded and changed. Obama doubled down.

I'm fairly certain we've gotten the third term for Bill Clinton. (It wasn't Hillary running for it, but Trump.)
Bill Clinton did not really change.  He had a Congressional Republican majority after the first two years that only knuckled under a little bit and that forced him to compromise some.  He then took credit for all positive results.  Plus, Clinton himself was never as much of a leftist as his wife, but that may just be my impression.  I don't know how much I was paying attention at the time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:14:37 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »

There are some interesting parallels to Bill Clinton and this attitude:I don't think the end result is good for conservatism.
Looking at the actual results so far of the Trump administration, what sort of conservative results are you looking for?  Do you have in mind someone else who would have done better?

If you ignore the tweets and all the media noise, he is probably the most conservative President since Reagan.  That really isn't saying much, but it is significant.  The Bushes set the bar low IMO.  I am not sure I can put a grade on his SC nominee yet, but that looks good so far.  It looks like his administration is working to reduce regulatory burden which hasn't seemed to happen in quite some time. 

I don't see Trump as any sort of super-conservative or anything.  I didn't think he was a year ago either.  I just liked his attitude and the way he refused to knuckle under to the media.  Will I still be happy with him in 3 more years?  I don't know.  My main goal to make sure my opinion of him is my own and not dictated to me by the media or any dislike of his style.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
Seriously? You can't tell what venting is? Which is fairly clear in the context of my full post, plus all the other posts where I'm complaining about SJWs, antifas, and buttinski celebrities.

If fistful, whose fault everything is, aggravates me and I say, "man, I could kill that guy!", are we taking that literally as well?

I'm not saying that I believe that Trump could literally do anything (stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody) and you would still support him. However, I do believe you were trying to express something with that statement that parallels what was described in the article. I could be wrong.

what sort of conservative results are you looking for?  Do you have in mind someone else who would have done better?
When I say the end result will not be good, I'm talking longer term. He will make good decisions, he already has and will likely appoint more good judges (Jonah Goldberg aptly called Gorsuch "the everlasting gobstopper of Trump rationalizations") and he might even make some other improvements in areas consistent with conservative desires. I believe there are plenty of people, Pence being an obvious one, who would do a significantly better job though.

Because the left is so loud with their complaints, people feel the need to defend Trump even when he doesn't deserve it. I see people abandoning principle and my fear is Trumpism overtaking conservatism. Many people voted for Trump as a middle finger to the establishment and hoping he would "BURN IT DOWN and (hopefully) start fresh" - that is not a conservative approach! It's pretty much the opposite.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
I think you may have a different view from most Trump supporters about exactly what needs to be burned down.  Considering a lot of Republicans were supporting Jeb Bush says a lot about the lack of importance of "conservatism" to the Republican party leadership. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:02 AM »
Except those of us with the "That's how you got Trump" attitude are not devoted to Trump. We mostly just hate preachy whiners that want to tell us how to live. We're pretty much the opposite of the people that were devoted to Clinton and Obama. You won't ever see me wearing a "Trump as Christ" tshirt (though I would wear a "Mattis as Christ tshirt   =D  ) or walking around mesmerized, or lying for Trump.

My voting against Hillary Clinton wasn't bad for conservatism, IMO.

✔ again.  We seem to live in parallel universes, Ben.

"That's how come you got Trump."

I'm not a devotee, either, but between alternate realities, I preferred Trump.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2017, 07:38:14 AM »

If you think the support Trump is drawing is analogous to the sycophantic fawning Bill Clinton still gets, and to a lesser extent Hillary, you're at best delusional.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
I think you may have a different view from most Trump supporters about exactly what needs to be burned down.
This is certainly possible. I may have taken statements too literally when people were just venting or expressing their id or whatever. At a certain point, discussion becomes pointless if people are saying things they don't mean.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:46:32 AM by DittoHead »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
This is certainly possible. I may have taken statements too literally when people were just venting or expressing their id or whatever. At a certain point, discussion becomes pointless if people are saying things they don't mean.

Which is part of the reason people support Trump.  They are tired of establishment Republicans lying to them during campaign season (as well as the media and Democrats).  It is the establishment control of the FedGov that they want to burn down.

And you have to understand that many of Trump's supporters are not politicians and some pay little attention to politics.  They do not always choose their words carefully or attack the right targets.  IMO, you have to view their comments through that filter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
Which is part of the reason people support Trump.  They are tired of establishment Republicans lying to them during campaign season (as well as the media and Democrats).  It is the establishment control of the FedGov that they want to burn down.

And you have to understand that many of Trump's supporters are not politicians and some pay little attention to politics.  They do not always choose their words carefully or attack the right targets.  IMO, you have to view their comments through that filter.

Any hyperbole by me or others aside, or the joy of looking to make snowflakes cry, the other discussion point is, what exactly is "good or bad" for conservatism? And what exactly is conservatism?

I'm not sure I hurt conservatism by saying I'm going to support Trump, even if 70% of the stuff he does is not approved of by me or people like me. Maybe guns, taxes, and small govt are enough for me to somewhat ignore stuff he does I consider bad.

After all, according to establishment conservatives, I was supposed to shut up and support JEB! regardless of how opposed I was to his policies. That was supposed to be good for conservatism. Not my "conservatism" though.

And as I've mentioned, before I decided, at the last minute, to do what many here did and throw in with Trump, whether the best of a bad situation, or to stick it to people trying to tell me what "conservatism" was, I was going to write-in Jim Mattis. That would have been me 95% voting for my flavor of conservatism. I'm not sure that would have helped as much as the vote for Trump did, whether I voted for positive or negative reasons.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
✔ again.  We seem to live in parallel universes, Ben.

Is that "great minds think alike" or something that should be scary for the other members?  :laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
For those on FB, I have become a defender of (some of) Trump's policies against my more liberal friends.

For example, since I have seen, nor heard of any evidence of "collusion" nor "hacking" of the elections, and having seen excerpts of the book about the Hillary campaign, I know that "The Russians Did It", storyline is just that.  A story concocted by Hillary as a way to explain her defeat.

Yet, we KNOW that Obama and Lynch Obstructed Justice in the Hillary Investigation (and the IRS, and F&F, and the VA, and others).

I do hope that Mueller does go after Comey, Lynch and Clinton with the same zeal that the D's are going after Trump.  But I doubt it...

I like *most* of Trump's policies so far.  I do hope that Sessions is NOT able to re-start the War on Drugs. 

And in case anyone didn't know, I wrote in James Mattis/Allen B West for President/Vice President on my ballot.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
I agree with Ben in that "conservatism" means different things to different people.  I don't consider myself libertarian, but lower taxes, smaller govt, more individual freedom are things I want to see happen.  A lot of Republican Congressmen, Donors, and National leaders do not seem to agree with me on that as every time they have an opportunity to do it, they find a reason to drag their feet.