Author Topic: Trump's War on Words  (Read 1146 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Trump's War on Words
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
It appears Left-wing televangelist* Samantha Bee has found a new victim of the Trump administration - words. That's right. Apparently, the left-wing insistence that men like Bruce Jenner be referred to as "she," or that same-sex unions be called "marriages" is not the real attack on the language. If you thought the real danger to language was that the word "facts," when Kellyanne Conway uses it, actually means "stuff we made up," you are apparently wrong. Or alternate, or something. Similarly, it is apparently not the inexplicable use of "woman" as an adjective, or "hate" as a noun that has Bee all upset. No, no, these things are OK, because leftists do them. No, it's the fact the president is inarticulate that has her all upset.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/samantha-bee-death-words-trump-language-1015930

I would have just let this pass, until I saw this:

With Ivanka Trump's incorrect definition of "complicit," Bee starts to question if she even knows the meaning of words anymore. "I guess it has whatever bulls**t new meaning you decide to architect for it."

Not sure if serious about the bolded word.  ??? 

Then I looked into this non-troversy with Ivanka Trump, and it's another left-wing assault on the language. Or on your intelligence. Or both. Ivana said this:

If being complicit is wanting to, is wanting to be a force for good and to make a positive impact, then I'm complicit.'

Some Leftists have chosen to take that literally, which is obviously not appropriate. The Left's War on Wordplay, I guess.  ;/

* http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/29/9-similarities-samantha-bees-megachurch-evangelical-heretics/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:57:42 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Trump's War on Words
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »
There are times I could swear there's a subcommittee in the democratic party devoted exclusively to screwing up the language to their advantage.

While I dislike (not "hate," because I do it myself sometimes), verbalizing nouns and nounalizing verbs, I think she meant "architect" as a joke.

Besides, I think Mrs. Trump* does pretty darned well in English, but I also have no doubt she has a semi-official coach for it.

I have no doubt that a similar situation existed for former Governor Schwarzenegger.  Imagine having to comprehend all that legalese in the bills on his desk.

But of course, we never hear about that.

Terry, 230RN

* Corrected by fistful, below.  Sorry.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:08:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:35 PM »

Ivanka is the daughter, not the wife.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
How in the name of everything rational and good in the world would anyone actually listen to Samantha Bee talk.  She is a screechy, annoying, unfunny caricature of an uncoordinated 1950's movie robot.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw