Author Topic: SCOTUS approves Trump travel ban  (Read 3905 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: SCOTUS approves Trump travel ban
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
To the two previous posters:

Though I've not read Locke, I believe "life, liberty, and property" was a common theme in his writings, and modified by the 2nd Cont. Congress for inclusion in the Declaration. I don't think anyone's denying that the Constitution has something to say about property rights.

However, I think freakazoid was talking about the requirements, in many Anglo-American colonies, that voters own a certain amount of property. These persisted to varying degrees in the early U.S. Thomas G. West has suggested that, as the property requirement receded, it was replaced by restrictions based on sex and race.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
I think if any of us lived as a common person in Europe at that time, the ability to own and use property would be very important to us.

When was voting declared a natural right?  Or did the discussion just get sidetracked?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
There is, and always has been, debate about whether Locke was a direct influence for Jefferson's statement in the Declaration.

I think it is likely that Locke's treatise was an influence, but the question is, was it a primary influence, or was it a secondary influence that came through Jefferson being heavily influenced by the thoughts and theories of George Mason and his writings, especially the Virginia Declaration of Rights?

Wikipedia has an interesting discussion on the subject...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_Liberty_and_the_pursuit_of_Happiness
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »
Property owning yes, skin color and sex didn't matter originally.

Yes, skin color and gender did matter very much on a variety of levels in the early days of the Republic.

As I said, if you were a white property owner in the early days of the Republic, you were in like Flynn because there were virtually no restrictions, nuances, hindrances, etc., on your various rights.

Here's an interesting but very basic look at how voting rights progressed over the years.

http://classroom.synonym.com/people-gained-right-vote-early-1800s-16200.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
I think if any of us lived as a common person in Europe at that time, the ability to own and use property would be very important to us.

Of course.

When was voting declared a natural right?

When the Democratic Party decided that it could no longer get enough (legally valid) votes from citizens. That's when.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
I believe you are correct.

The right to property is mentioned in the bill of rights though:

"The Constitution protects property rights mainly through the Fifth Amendment's Takings or Just Compensation Clause: ''nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.''"

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/cato-handbook-policymakers/2009/9/hb111-34.pdf
I've read that "property" was changed to "pursuit of happiness" to broaden the concept the phrase protected;  that is,  the right to property did not go away,  it became part of the "pursuit of happiness."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »
Wait, are you two saying that our Constitutional rights are in fact granted to us by our government? ???

Unfortunately, there are many that have passed through our public education system in the last 30 years that believe that very thing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.