Author Topic: New mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa e250 vs e250R?  (Read 1134 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
New mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa e250 vs e250R?
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
Howdy folks!

School is starting back up in a couple of days and I want to go into a little more debt beforehand by buying an mp3 player. I'd like to keep fairly close to $100, and in looking around I found the Sansa e250.

http://reviews.cnet.com/SanDisk_Sansa_e250_2GB/4505-6490_7-31644065.html?tag=pdtl-img

Does anyone have one, or know much about them? I've been scowering the internet looking for reviews and have found a lot of info. Other than a few quirks they seem to be high quality. I'll not be using it for much video work, but I like the screen and the fact that it has the memory expansion slot. I noticed that there is also the e250R but am not entirely sure I understand the difference (I think it just interfaces more smoothly with Rhapsody?). I didn't know if there are practical features added to the 'R' model other than that. Thoughts?

Anywho, if anyone knows much about the product, or has thoughts on good players in that price range with similar features, I'd appreciate it!
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: New mp3 player: Sandisk Sansa e250 vs e250R?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
I don't have any experience with Sandisk products, but I love my Rio.  I have the 5GB model:

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=267

I have 374 songs on there right now and I'm not even close to capacity.

I also like the fact that it is basically a zip drive.  Obviously the on-board software won't know what to make of other files, but that doesn't mean you can't put them there.  When I need to transfer files to a buddy that are too large to e-mail, I'll use the Rio rather than rip them to CDR(W).  The USB 2.0 interface is relatively fast and Windows 98 and XP immediately recognize the device when plugged in, no special drivers needed.

I paid $199 for the 5GB model back in 2005.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
I just got the e280 - my first player. I did a little shopping and decided to go with Sansa due to the features rather than just reflexively buying an "ipod" or "nano" . Also, you can change the battery yourself rather than sending it in and it has an FM tuner.

It seems solid, I can work it, and it sounds fine. The different numbers designate memory, IIRC. I have loaded four whole CDs onto it and each takes only a few minutes. The "R" just means that one can use Best Buy/Rhapsody music downloading more easily with it. I haven't signed up for that yet. I want to learn how to do everything a la carte first and then decide whether to go with one company. I just know that if I apply for the free months that I will forget and end up paying automatically.  grin

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1220)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200R_Rhapsody_Series_MP3_Players.aspx

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
I have an older little SanDisk that runs on a AAA battery.  Aside from having slightly confusing to navigate menus it has been great - reliable, easy to use, excellent FM tuner, and sound quality is fine.  It's not quite as good as listening to my old HK/ADS stereo setup, but it sure is a lot easier to carry.  I'd like to have one of the Sansas you're looking at.  I think Circuit City has the e250 for about $110 right now.
For entertainment purposes only.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
Thanks a bunch for all the replies folks! I actually bit the bullet and decided to get the e250 as shown. It's not the 'R' version, as I didn't think I'd have much interest in using a service, at least not for some time. I was able to get it in-store at the $110 price.

First impressions are very good. It's light, compact, but feels very solid. It's got a tough metal back to it and the plastic front is quite strong feeling. The screen takes up about half of the front and is very sharp. Photos look great, and the demo videos are very smooth and crisp. I haven't loaded any of my own videos onto it. Reviews that I've read were correct in mentioning that the scroll wheel feels a little cheap. It wouldn't stop me from reccomending it, but it's a place that could be improved.

Controls are pretty simple and intuitive. The screens are easy to navigate, and the options 'enlarge' on the screen as they are scrolled over. A few things take getting used to, like trying to back out of the FM radio screen (requires you hit the 'main menu' button rather than the 'back' button). The sample songs all sound quite good, quality is not lacking at all. I've only had one mp3 player before, but this is a cut above what I had then.

I didn't pick up any, but I love the fact that I can buy more memory chips to insert instead of having to either erase my current memory, or buy a whole other, larger player. The voice record feature is also pretty handy and there is a dedicated record button located on the side of the player.

I've been spending the last hour or so trying to load my music collection onto it. It seems to work pretty seamlessly using just Windows Media Player 'sync' function. I haven't tried any video yet because I don't think I have any short video clips to load.

I definitely don't have any buyer's remorse after developing initial impressions. I'll post back after the first day of classes tomorrow to report how this thing fairs, but I like it so far!
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb