Author Topic: The best way to apply asphalt sealer  (Read 3236 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The best way to apply asphalt sealer
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
I am going to seal my asphalt driveway later this summer when I get some sustained high temperatures.  I have done some reading and I have a question for the Collective: apply via a roller or a squeegee?  Time, cost of materials and labor is unimportant, since I will be doing it.  I want to do it the best way to get a long-lasting result.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
Brush. With a light scrubbing motion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: The best way to apply asphalt sealer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »
Always did my dad's driveway with a squeegee. 200' down hill. I leave my asphalt el natural.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »

Squeegee. Get a larger size one. With a foam thingie on the handle. Blisters suck.

Also, roll the asphalt container on its side for a bit rather than jumping directly to stirring with a stick or whatnot. No clue why, but it works very well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Squeegee.

I put 300 gallons of the stuff down at work last year with a guy who once ran a striping/sealing crew.  He was an artist with the squeegee, made it look easy.   Once you get a feel for pulling the stuff uniformly, you'll never look at a brush again.  The 24" ones we used were like $32 at Home Despot.

Also,  surface prep will make your life much easier.  If nothing else hit it with a leaf blower.  Rock and debris make the job harder and your finished product look crappy.   
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »
Three or four dead cats attached to a jackhammer. You'll need a supply of replacement cats.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
Three or four dead cats attached to a jackhammer. You'll need a supply of replacement cats.

Legitimately asking. Was this supposed to be funny, just showing you dislike a particular animal or that you actually enjoy animal cruelty?

If you are legitimately into animal cruelty, I might recommend better locations for it than here. There's plenty of places on the internet you can look up animals being set on fire and whatnot. This isn't one of those places. If you were trying and failing at being funny, randomly bringing animal cruelty jokes in threads asking for asphalt sealing guidance, one could have quite a few questions or concerns involved. If you just dislike cats and feel a desire to interject it into all aspects of life, see the three words at the top of the page.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
He did specify dead cats.  Is it still animal cruelty if one uses dead cats?  Asking for a friend.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
He did specify dead cats.  Is it still animal cruelty if one uses dead cats?  Asking for a friend.   =D

That was gonna be my question but you beat me to it.
I have no personal dislike for cats and have no use for folks that engage in animal cruelty but see no harm in using the carcass of a dead animal in a useful fashion.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
And Millcreak said he was going to use a seal! And he didn't say if it would be alive or not, either.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
And Millcreak said he was going to use a seal! And he didn't say if it would be alive or not, either.

Dead or alive,  the bastards reek.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »

Had that book as a kid  :laugh:

Now to find my "lighten up, francis"  gif..

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
Finally done: a total of 12.5 hours labor, five trips total to Home Depot to get more sealer, and the job required 8.5 buckets of sealer at $ 42/bucket. Things I learned: the sealer estimator on the website cannot be trusted, you end up having to buy about triple the amount estimated and it took twice as long as I thought it would. I am looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to rest up.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »
Still cheaper than hiring a pro?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »
^^^ Did you learn nothing from Charlie Sheen?
Formerly sumpnz

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:54 AM »
Finally done: a total of 12.5 hours labor, five trips total to Home Depot to get more sealer, and the job required 8.5 buckets of sealer at $ 42/bucket. Things I learned: the sealer estimator on the website cannot be trusted, you end up having to buy about triple the amount estimated and it took twice as long as I thought it would. I am looking forward to going back to work tomorrow to rest up.

How many dead cats did you need?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 06:08:10 AM »
^^^ Did you learn nothing from Charlie Sheen?

I have learned much from Charlie, but I can't afford to emulate his lifestyle.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-4-Gal-Acrylic-Plus-Driveway-Revitalizer-Filler-Sealer-51766/202894876

I went for this sealer based on the reviews, my neighbor's good experience with it, the ten year warranty and that it was applied with a roller.  It was kind of tedious in applying it to 1700 square feet of driveway with a nine-inch roller, but I decided the convenience of dipping the roller directly into the bucket outweighed using a larger roller but then having to pour the sealer into a large tray to dip the roller.  I had read in the reviews many recommendations to use a nine-inch roller for exactly this reason.  I used a half-inch nap roller again based on the reviews.  Despite what the bucket and the website say, I was getting about 200 sq. feet of coverage per bucket; which other people also reported in the reviews.  I had guessed that since my driveway was only two years old and in good condition, I would be getting the 'up to 800 square feet' as stated on the bucket and website.  My neighbor had the same experience, but he forgot to tell me about the coverage issue.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
To answer the OP's original question:

The best way to apply asphalt sealer ?

The correct answer is:

With a checkbook.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
To answer the OP's original question:

The correct answer is:

With a checkbook.

I've heard a credit card works almost as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »
I second the checkbook idea... there are things that are t worth my time when a pro can do it faster for only a bit more than my cost of materials.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama