Author Topic: The future belongs to those that show up  (Read 1105 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The future belongs to those that show up
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
http://nypost.com/2017/07/01/why-the-next-generation-after-millennials-will-vote-republican/

Lots of information about the soon to be coming-of-age generation (which they're calling Generation Z).

Among a number of characteristics about the generation, I thought this point was the most salient:

Generation Z is also more religious than preceding generations — attending organized weekly church services at about twice the rate of millennials, Generation Xers and baby boomers.

Hmmm... I wonder why that might be?

I thought this was an interesting statement as well:

Generation Z is diverse. They are only 55 percent white and will be the last majority-white generation in America.

That's not necessarily true. IF current trends continue, that is the case. But current trends are not necessarily permanent.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The future belongs to those that show up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »

I thought this was an interesting statement as well:

Generation Z is diverse. They are only 55 percent white and will be the last majority-white generation in America.

That's not necessarily true. IF current trends continue, that is the case. But current trends are not necessarily permanent.

Sort of along the lines of statistics about children killed by guns, in which "children" may include those up to age 16 ... or 18 ... or 21 ... or even 26, depending on whose statistics you use, much depends on how "white" and "non-white" are defined. Just as one example, the BATFE Form 4473 for buying  firearm through an FFL dealer, has a question for "Ethnicity" (Latino/Hispanic, or not Latino/Hispanic), and another question for Race (American Indian or Alaska Native; Asian; Black or African American; Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander; and White). So what box do Arabs check? By many systems, Arabs are not considered to be whites. And note that under Race there isn't anything for Hispanic. Many, perhaps most, Hispanics around the world are white, but in claiming that Generation Z is the last majority white generation in the U.S. I'm sure the claim considers all Hispanics as non-white.

And that's a notion that would have incensed my late wife, who was a Latina. In fact, she resented being classified as 'Hispanic." Her view was that she wasn't born in Spain, she had never traveled to Spain, so how could she be "Hispanic"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: The future belongs to those that show up
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
There were a lot of claims in the mid-nineties about the high school and college kids of that time being more conservative than their predecessors.  It turned out to be largely hogwash.  I suspect the same will be true with this analysis of Generation Z.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.