Author Topic: That was a VERY expensive cocktail  (Read 1319 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
That was a VERY expensive cocktail
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4837878/Unruly-Hawaiian-Airlines-passenger-pay-98-000.html

Man who disrupted a flight from Hawaii to CONUS, causing the pilot to return to Hawaii, ordered to repay the airline for the costs associated with the diversion.

$98,000
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
Re: That was a VERY expensive cocktail
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
This is interesting because it says a little bit about the airlines' actual costs, which I have always wondered about. I guess you can do a rough calculation based on fuel costs and hourly wages to get a cost floor, but I don't know what airlines actually pay for jet fuel. Do they pay each airport they fly out of for the fuel they fill up with? Is there an industry-wide negotiated rate?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:42:49 PM »
This is interesting because it says a little bit about the airlines' actual costs, which I have always wondered about. I guess you can do a rough calculation based on fuel costs and hourly wages to get a cost floor, but I don't know what airlines actually pay for jet fuel. Do they pay each airport they fly out of for the fuel they fill up with? Is there an industry-wide negotiated rate?

That $98k includes all of the vouchers and credits to the pax, I bet.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
That $98k includes all of the vouchers and credits to the pax, I bet.

Plus whatever ripple for having the crew and plane out of position.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »

From what I understand, there are multiple fuel companies that service multiple airports, and the airlines negotiate with them.  Then the airport charges a fee to actually use the airport and gate system.

The airlines will often negotiate long term contracts with the fuel companies in order to provide stability and save money.

I doubt they managed to charge much for ripple.  Dude's probably tapped out as is.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »
No airline pays spot prices for fuel at their regular airports.  Fuel hedging is a big piece of it, so are fuel contracts.

I'm guessing the $98,000 includes all the payroll for probably two full crews, fuel costs, direct operating cost, hotels and food for anyone who wanted it, cost associated with cancelled or delayed future flights, extra maintainence if the plane needed an inspection for overweight landing, maybe costs of having to put passengers on other airlines, cost for delayed or destroyed cargo, and lots of other things I don't know about.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
I wonder what happens if he can't cough up the $98,000? :police:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:56 PM »

He's forced to fly United.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

Wouldn't that violate the 8th Amendment?  :police:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »

If so then I'm sure United won't serve him alcohol, but he can have all the punch he can handle.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »

Almost choked on my food. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 07:06:34 AM »
If so then I'm sure United won't serve him alcohol, but he can have all the punch he can handle.

:rofl:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »
From what I understand, there are multiple fuel companies that service multiple airports, and the airlines negotiate with them.  Then the airport charges a fee to actually use the airport and gate system.

The airlines will often negotiate long term contracts with the fuel companies in order to provide stability and save money.

I doubt they managed to charge much for ripple.  Dude's probably tapped out as is.
It's a real cost.  Airlines run on tight margins and rely on aircraft and crews being in position for the next flights.  When they're not, there's extra costs with bringing new crews in (usually on OT), re positioning aircraft, etc.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
"During the meal service, the girlfriend's 16-year-old son told a flight attendant that August called him a derogatory word, insulted the children, and made life-threatening comments."

No, he won't be forced to fly United. United just hired him as their new director of customer service. Those are perfect qualifications for the job.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

So, stuck on Hawaii?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
It's a real cost.  Airlines run on tight margins and rely on aircraft and crews being in position for the next flights.  When they're not, there's extra costs with bringing new crews in (usually on OT), re positioning aircraft, etc.
Don't forget costs and settlements for dragging people off planes to get those crew transferred.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge