Author Topic: The new literary/TV Drama formula  (Read 4963 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The new literary/TV Drama formula
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
Given the commercial success of The Walking Dead franchise and the Game of Thrones franchise, it seems the way to cash in with your idea is to continuously kill off main characters while developing new ones to keep things "fresh".

This has been the Scout26/Amy Schumer Money-Making idea of the day.... :-*
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The new literary/TV Drama formula
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:07:46 AM »
Given the commercial success of The Walking Dead franchise and the Game of Thrones franchise, it seems the way to cash in with your idea is to continuously kill off main characters while developing new ones to keep things "fresh".

I wonder if that would work for congress?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
I wonder if that would work for congress?

Well, the bloodless way to do that is to adopt my theory of ALWAYS voting against the incumbent. If the SOBs won't enact term limits for themselves, We the People should just do it on a de facto basis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »

So who gets the axe here first, Fistful?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »

Can't kill off the scapegoat, everyone would be expecting that.
Or does that mean we SHOULD just because everyone would be surprised that we did the very thing everyone thought we'd do? That way we're unpredictable by doing the predictable thing.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »

Fine with me. I need to concentrate on my film career.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »

Normally it should be the character everyone likes, but I don't think we have one of those here in curmudgeon central.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »

Funny, I was going to post this even before I read that:

Maybe the actors got sick of the very soap-opera-like qualities of the scripts and directing and begged to be let out of their contracts.

(Wife2 used to watch soap operas all the time.)

I don't know about the subject programs, but I find the music hilarious.  Strings stroking their bows on one note for minutes at a time.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »
With shows like Game of Thrones and Justified, where they know going in how long the series will last, they can be a bit more bold in how they deal with characters.  You can kill of major players when the game will be over in 5-6 seasons, especially in a show like Game of Thrones where you have so many major characters in the story line.

The indefinite shows have to be more careful, not knowing how long the show will last, so that you don't kill off too many characters too early and end up with a new cast on an old show.

As to who gets it first around here, remember that it's way too easy to kill off the hated lawyers early, so that wouldn't appeal to the fan base.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
With shows like Game of Thrones and Justified, where they know going in how long the series will last, they can be a bit more bold in how they deal with characters.  You can kill of major players when the game will be over in 5-6 seasons, especially in a show like Game of Thrones where you have so many major characters in the story line.

I really liked how Justified handled deaths. I don't think it gets mentioned a lot, but I really like how they did in Dewey. In many ways it was a mercy killing and it came at a perfect time in the series.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
As to who gets it first around here, remember that it's way too easy to kill off the hated lawyers early, so that wouldn't appeal to the fan base.   :lol:

Yeah. You have to wait a few seasons so that the fans say "FINALLY" when the lawyer gets it.

Can't kill 'em off first like in Jurassic Park.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »
Or just do the Supernatural formula. I think every main character has been killed off once or twice or three times.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
Normally it should be the character everyone likes, but I don't think we have one of those here in curmudgeon central.  =D

Everyone pretty much likes BSL, don't they?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »

Fistful..... THE NEW NEGAN. =D =D =D [popcorn] [tinfoil] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
Everyone pretty much likes BSL, don't they?

Like most ordinary people who lead an ordinary life, I've never even heard of her.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
I'm a fan of BSL's but she's mad at me right now for miscellaneous disingenuous misogynist remarks.

Gee, that's hard to say out loud.  "Miscellaneous disingenuous misogynist remarks."

Terrible Terry (signed in crayon)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »

Since we have a couple, we could off one now, then periodically off another, whenever ratings start to slump...  >:D >:D [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
Since we have a couple, we could off one now, then periodically off another, whenever ratings start to slump...  >:D >:D [popcorn] [popcorn]

You know, maybe it could be like the opening scene of MHI. Fulfill everyone's dream right at the start to hook them for the rest of the series.

Who gets to defenestrate the chosen lawyer?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
You know, maybe it could be like the opening scene of MHI. Fulfill everyone's dream right at the start to hook them for the rest of the series.

Who gets to defenestrate the chosen lawyer?

Are we going to have to start a gofundme to get the person in the "heart of it all" or the "land of Oz"?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:05:58 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 07:13:28 PM »
As long as it's not a cross bow bolt in the chest while sitting on the john...

At least give me a noble death.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
As long as it's not a cross bow bolt in the chest while sitting on the john...

At least give me a noble death.

Venomous snakes slithers up through the plumbing while you are sitting on the john...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
Venomous snakes slithers up through the plumbing while you are sitting on the john...

See, that's what will lead to me haunting your ass.

"Where's RKL?"
"Oh, he's out trying to find a bathroom where BSL can't haunt him. He hasn't had a peaceful *expletive deleted*it since they killed her off."
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
So, you of the BSL character, and she's gonna add to the show through paranormal haunting the crapper.  Don't see that outside of the Harry Potter stories.   :laugh:

As for hunting down one of us lawyers, sounds more like a bad hunting show than a plot line...

"Next time on the Esquire Hunt, APS goes to Ohio in a hunt for a rare Magistrate.  Known for their black robes and black souls, these rare Esquires are a challenging hunt.  Not as politically savvy as the coveted Judge, the Magistrate has it's own special appeal.  More work means a keener mind, but duller senses.  And tonight, we're going after a special Magistrate, the Chris.  Chris is more situationally aware than most, and has the guns to fall back on when cornered.  We'll bait the Chris with smoked pork and gunsmoke scent, and see if we can draw him in for an easy kill..."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »
Meh.  It's not the individual lawyers we should go after.  It's the incredibly poor legal structure that was built over the years.  There's no definable individual responsibility for that.

Our current legal system:

Besides, bait-hunting is at the least unethical, and in many cases, is itself illegal. And using smoked pork and gunsmoke scent will draw more than the target species and you'll be overrun with APS people sniffing around.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
So, you of the BSL character, and she's gonna add to the show through paranormal haunting the crapper.  Don't see that outside of the Harry Potter stories.   :laugh:

Moaning Myrtle ain't got nothing on me.