Author Topic: How to make Spaghetti  (Read 11132 times)

freakazoid

• friend
How to make Spaghetti
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »
I guess I'll start the first official one, since the other thread was brought in. Just like the title says; How to make spaghetti. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfafno4HND4
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: How to make Spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »
Take one packet of Ramen noodles, set aside msg packet, add enough water to hydrate noodles, microwave until done, pour Ragu onto noodles, stir, eat.

Bork, Bork, Bork.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:19 PM »
Take one packet of Ramen noodles, set aside msg packet, add enough water to hydrate noodles, microwave until done, pour Ragu onto noodles, stir, eat.

Bork, Bork, Bork.

Are you some kind of royalty?  Last time I did that the only cooking implement I had was a coffee maker to get hot water for the ramen.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
You actually take the time to boil the noodles.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
Even at my poorest, pasta was the one food I would do right.  I bought a big stainless pot at a garage sale.  Salt is cheap.  Dried pasta tends to go on sale at least once a month, so you buy in bulk and store it.  Sauce?  I used to buy cheap jars and doctor it up with herbs and spices, veggies, and meat when I had money.  A pound of pasta was good for at least 2 good meals, one freshly made, one leftover. 

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
I love just Parmesan cheese and butter over my spaghetti.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »

Add some lightly sauteed crushed garlic and a dash of fresh thyme and I'm right there with you.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:13 PM »
Add some lightly sauteed crushed garlic and a dash of fresh thyme and I'm right there with you.

Brad

Penzey Spices has a roasted garlic powder that is really good.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »
If I get to cook past for myself (and I'll get to next weekend), it's like this:

A pound of Barilla pasta.
A jar of sauce
pound of ground beef
half pound of Italian sausage
half pound of button mushrooms, sliced
a medium sweet/Vidalia onion, sliced thin
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Basil, oregano, and Italian parsley
Bottle of red wine

Brown the meat in a deep fry pan.  Set aside the meat and carmelize the onion.  Add the garlic.  After a few minutes, add mushrooms.  Add the herbs.  Deglaze with a cup or so of the red wine (save the rest for drinking).  Add the jar of sauce and stir.  Add in the browned meat.  Set to simmer with a lid on.  Start heating the pasta water, and let the meat sauce simmer while the water heats and you cook the pasta.  Toss cooked pasta with the sauce.

I started doing this in law school around once a month when I got paid. I would buy double what I listed above and cook it up together, usually on a Sunday afternoon. I would put half of the finished sauce in a container and freeze it, mix up half with the a pound of the fresh cooked pasta.  I'd eat half, and put half in the fridge, which became dinner on Tuesday (or Tuesday and Wednesday, depending on how much I ate along the way).  I'd get four+ meals out of what was generally $20-25 worth of ingredients, which is good eating on a poor student budget.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Spaghetti
Brown meat approximately 15 minutes and drain.
Cut 1/2 onion put in meat.  Approx 10 minutes they should be clear.
Add 1 large can of Monjunis sauce, 1 can of Diced tomatoes.
S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, Thyme, Italian seasoning/spice it up the way you like. 1 pack of Splenda to take the bite out of the tomatos.

So easy even I can make and save the wife the trouble after a hard day at work. :P

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »

I do that or shredded cheddar with butter most of the time.

Sometimes I'll do feta, greek dressing and kalamata olives. I've also been known to do ceaser dressing and black olives.

I rarely eat spaghetti with pasta sauce.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
My favorite topping on spaghetti right now is a simple olive oil lemon sauce.

Put some mustard (any kind, really) into a bottle and top it with some lemon juice. Shake well to mix.

Then pour in some extra virgin olive oil, shake well, pour in more oil, shake, and continue until you have the consistency that you want.

The mustard is an emulsifier that helps keep the olive oil and lemon juice in combination for quite awhile.

Simple, and good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
The thing with spaghetti in our house is that it isn't always served with marinara and sausage/meatballs/message.  Olive oil and spices.  A sauce made of chicken broth and cream.  Butter and spices with mushrooms.  Yeah, we'll eat pasta about any way you serve it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
Brown butter spaghetti with mizithra cheese...yummy!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 11:33:27 PM »
I thought this might be about actually making pasta, not just preparing it.
 ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams