Author Topic: Teens Record Video and Laugh as Man Drowns  (Read 1607 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Teens Record Video and Laugh as Man Drowns
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:15:00 AM »
In my opinion those utes are undeserving of the label human being.
The article mentions that there is concern for the teens safety. My question would be - Why?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:55:09 AM »
I hope the boys get doxxed!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »
Would we feel the same way about these teens if they were watching him OD?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:58 AM »
Police said Dunn turned up at the pond following an argument with his fiancée about 10-to-15 minutes before the incident. The fiancée then left the scene to run errands.

“The kids were at the park that day smoking marijuana and apparently saw him walk into the water. He walked in on his own. They were watching him,” Martinez said.

Dunn waded into the water from the west side as the teens watched from the south side of the pond.
He just waded in and ended up drowning.  I assume he reached a point where he slipped or it got deep.  I guess that means he couldn't swim which makes me wonder why he waded in.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:20 AM »

Well played.

On the other hand, did these teenagers read that part of the Bible that condemns swimming?  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:40:37 AM »

I would.  It costs them nothing to call 911. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
I suppose in Coco Beach, black lives don't much matter.    The cops are saying that there is not much they can do to the teens, as there is no law in Florida that mandates you help a person in distress.  There are laws about not notifying the police about a dead person though, and they local police are going to try for misdemeanor charges to that effect.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »
  The cops are saying that there is not much they can do to the teens, as there is no law in Florida that mandates you help a person in distress.  There are laws about not notifying the police about a dead person though, and they local police are going to try for misdemeanor charges to that effect.

I am intrigued that it is settled law that the cops themselves wouldn't have been obligated to help that guy if they were there, but these kids should have, and the cops need to throw enough charges at them till something sticks because OUTRAGE.

Note: I agree that they are bad human beings for not trying to do something, but you aren't legally obligated to be a good human being, and the cops shouldn't be trying to pursue legal remedies for this.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
I am intrigued that it is settled law that the cops themselves wouldn't have been obligated to help that guy if they were there, but these kids should have, and the cops need to throw enough charges at them till something sticks because OUTRAGE.

Note: I agree that they are bad human beings for not trying to do something, but you aren't legally obligated to be a good human being, and the cops shouldn't be trying to pursue legal remedies for this.

For me it's not the legal issue (see below), but the morality of of not only not trying to do something as simple as calling 911 or at the very least showing some "Oh my gosh, that poor guy" compassion versus laughing as he died.

To that, and legality, I think around a year ago we talked about a situation in Florida where most of us (myself included) defended the people who didn't go in to help someone who had driven into a water body because it was a swamp or a bog or some such, and there was as good of a chance of the "rescuer" being sucked down trying to get to the victim (the car was submerged as I recall). Maybe this wasn't really a lake, maybe they couldn't swim, maybe a lot of reasons that they couldn't or wouldn't help the guy, but not a single moral reason to laugh at him.

To DeSelby's point, even if I chose not to assist someone that was overdosing (though I'd at least call 911), I wouldn't stand there pointing and laughing. What these teens did was more along the lines of "not even pissing on someone who was on fire".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
I agree Ben,  my point was specifically at them being in legal trouble.  The original article quotes three separate Law Enforcement officials saying they didn't commit a crime.  But the "Update" is:
Cocoa police chief pursuing charges against teens accused of filming drowning man

Which implies to me that the cops decided these kids were criminals, and by god, kept looking until they found a charge.  

Honestly, the fact that there's another set of morally bankrupt, cell phone video making, ghetto kids out there doesn't even merit a "meh" from me at this point.  YouTube is FULL of their ilk.  Their parents screwed up, didn't raise them and there's nothing I can do about it now.  It's not like we're going to change their moral outlook on life in their late teens.

Hell, I might go so far as to say if these two teens were drowning I wouldn't help them out.  Hypothetically.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
I honestly don't think that charging someone for not notifying police and emergency rescue personal when the see someone in distress is all that bad a thing. Although I do think it's pathetic that we, as a society, have come to the point where that should even have to be any kind of law.
I don't expect the average person to be compelled to actively try to get involved in the situation or go and try to save someone themselves, but calling 911 on your cell phone isn't exactly a challenge.

3 days. The body was in that pond for three days and those teenagers knew it the whole time. That's just adding insult to injury.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds