Author Topic: Fast Charging Batteries getting closer  (Read 737 times)

dogmush

• friend
Fast Charging Batteries getting closer
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »
This article popped up on a car forum I'm lurking on.  I don't know enough chemistry to follow it completely, but it seems cool.  Batteries that charge at the speed of capacitors, and hold amperage like a battery would open up a lot of cool tech, not just cars.

http://newatlas.com/mxene-electrodes-fast-charging/50426/

I know we've talked about emerging battery tech a lot, and  imagine a lot of smart folks are working on it.  A large shift in storage of electricity would be a pretty big came changer.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Fast Charging Batteries getting closer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
The chemistry is possible.  But most talk about using Molybdenum and Titanium.   So the question becomes, can it be done economically and scaled to mass production.  

Molly Be Damned is going for about $16000 per tonne on the London Metals Exchange or about $7.25 per pound.   It also doesn't look like a big mover on the LME.  

Ferro-Titanium (it seems that "pure" Titanium is not on the market, so figure it would have to be further refined) is going for $3.77/kg or about $8.31/lb Again not sure how much "pure" titanium that would yield.

I'm sure they guys manning the Titanium and Molybdenum desks at the investment houses had their ears perk up.

Huh, we mined 600,00 tonnes of Lithium last year and 250,000 tonnes of Molybdenum.  [goes and checks stock portfolio and amount of change in pocket...)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:50:14 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Fast Charging Batteries getting closer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:31:54 AM »
I would think that would be really useful for solar powered/rechargeable things.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic