Author Topic: More Hummingbirds  (Read 991 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
More Hummingbirds
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Got the DSLR out for a few more shots of hummingbirds.
The little things are a blast to watch. From what I've figured out there are two females that are coming in to the feeders and one male that makes fast and infrequent visits while I'm there. One of the girls will perch on the frame and if the other female comes around they take turns chasing each other off. The male(s) haven't been to photogenic and I haven't managed to get a shot of one yet.
Did get some stop action on the wings today.

IMG_9054-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_8992-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_8984-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_8983-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_9049-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:14:17 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: More Hummingbirds
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
pretty  =)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »
Oh, suuuure. "Stop action" at the tops and bottoms of the sinusoid-ish wingbeats.  Big deal.

Just jazzin' you. >:D

Very nice as usual.  Excellent, in fact.  :)

X (Terry, his mark)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
All good shots but I especially like the last one.

What shutter speed did you use?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »
I was at 1/1000.with ISO set.to auto and it used 640.
I've got a partial roll of HP5+ in the F1 that I'm shooting at 800 with a 310mm but haven't had the light i want yet.
If that doesn't work I'll load up a roll of Delta 3200.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
^ Thank you, Terry!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
:rofl:

What's amusing here is back in the day, I used to be able to reel off phototech jargon --mostly forgotten now.

When they started to come out with electronically- controlled point and shoot film cameras I began to drift away from exquisitely crafted and equipped photography and gradually got rid of most of my high-end cameras 'n stuff.

Both my sons got interested in the technical aspects of photography --including the old time stuff --and have an assortment of both new cameras and lenses and antique equipment and methods as well.  They relied on me for much advice on the latter.

When I could remember it. :)

Now the modern stuff "rolls trippingly off their tongues" and I have to question them on this or that aspect of modern photography and its new techniques and materials.

Hell, I didn't know anyone was even making new types of film anymore.

Go, silver halides!  (And photosensitive dyes!)

Terry :old:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:37:14 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
Film photography will forever more be a niche activity but it's still pretty strong and showing some modest growth.
Kind of nice to be able to buy high end, pro quality gear that was astronomically out of my price range when it was new for sometimes pennies on the dollar. My Mamiya RB67PRO kit would have been $8k+ in 1975, I gave $300 for it. It's possible it will outlast me, the old pro gear is just that well built.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »
Nice! I need to get a hummer feeder
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”