Author Topic: Need help w/ article  (Read 1238 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Need help w/ article
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-little-college-that-couldnt/article/2009044

I've viewed it in both Firefox and Internet Exploder. The link at the bottom that's supposed to take me to the next page doesn't work for me in either browser. If anyone can get to the follow-up pages, I'd appreciate it if you would send me links to however many additional pages there are.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Need help w/ article
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
There were no grades, and students chose courses of study based on their intellectual and professional leanings and the expertise of a small faculty and a growing constellation of adjuncts plucked from the Burlington community. LaCasce, now 82, paused to tell me twice when we talked, “You’ve got to remember: It was the 1970s.”

Isis Erb, 45, has fond memories of the college’s anachronistic radical chic in the 1990s. Her favorite professor was activist and lawyer Sandy Baird. “In one of her classes we got to go through reams and reams of redacted FBI files on the Black Panthers,” Erb gushes, remembering when Baird brought in Roz Payne, a Panther ally turned archivist, as a guest lecturer. Will Nottingham, 27, also mentions Baird fondly: When an employer folded without paying him, she wrote a letter delineating Nottingham’s legal rights against his boss and won him his lost pay. Nottingham, who never finished his film degree, credits the costs of college for his inspiration to pursue a career as a loan officer.

Baird—something of a celebrity in the Burlington College world—believes capitalism killed the college. The school LaCasce founded “was sustainable and cooperative,” she says. “The people who came after were convinced that you either had to grow or you died—that is a capitalist model. If it had stayed in the old building it probably could have sustained itself.”

It was Baird, though, who’d called Sanders and encouraged her to take the job, trusting her at the time to preserve the institution. Sanders had been her husband’s chief of staff in the House of Representatives and his closest political ally. “She allowed Bernie to implement some of his ideas,” says Baird. “He’s a dreamer, and she helped him put those dreams into policies. I don’t know where he’d be without her.” Trustees hired her to do a similar job: midwife to a scrappy sixties-radical school.

The two women only really got to know each other when they went to Cuba together in May 2007 to kick off a cultural exchange program between Burlington College and the University of Havana. “She’s ambitious,” Baird learned about her new boss, and she wanted to be more than Bernie Sanders’s wife: “She’s a woman who wants to be recognized for her own achievements, just like we all do.”

“The decision to borrow the money and to buy that land was a gutsy move,” says Burlington College board member Jane Knodell, who’s president of the city council and an economics professor at the University of Vermont. “She wanted a beautiful campus to attract students,” Baird says, remembering Sanders’s last months at the college.

“Jane believed, and we believed her, that if it looked like a regular college, more students would come. But it never did get beyond the 160 or so that remained,” says longtime trustee Carolyn Elliott, who left the board at the time of Sanders’s removal. (When the college closed in 2016, there were only 70 students enrolled.) In the months after the bold acquisition, Sanders’s target slipped further from reach as the trustees began to worry about her failure to raise money. They whispered amongst themselves that she hid in her office, avoiding subordinates. “It’s a failure of leadership, for sure. It sputtered along afterwards, but Jane was the big failure.” The board dismissed Sanders in October 2011, just eight months after the deal closed.

The investigation, sparked by Toensing’s January 2016 letter to the U.S. attorney, brings the college’s loan application to the fore: “The loan transaction involved the overstatement and misrepresentation of nearly $2 million in what were purported to be confirmed contributions and grants to the college,” he wrote. Subsequent reporting ties the discrepancy Toensing noted to a listed million-dollar bequest from a woman not yet dead and another donor’s pledge to match it. Neither of these gifts would come to the college in the timeline Sanders reported, “unless [the first donor] were assassinated,” Yves Bradley darkly jokes.

A second letter from Toensing, dated May 25, suggests the bank yielded to improper pressure from the senator in approving the college’s loan application: “Ms. Sanders’ loan application did not receive the sort of scrutiny and basic underwriting to which those of us who are not married to a powerful United States Senator would have been subjected.” Jane Sanders, for her part, dismissed this charge in an interview with Laura Krantz of the Boston Globe as a “sexist” assumption that she couldn’t have closed the deal without her husband’s help.

After Sanders’s dismissal, the debts piled up: The diocese declared the college in default on its loan, and yearly taxes on the new property clocked in at $250,000. Sanders’s successor, Christine Plunkett, resigned unexpectedly in 2014 when a mob of students confronted her over controversial staffing decisions. “Okay, I resign. Happy?” she announced from her car. Founder Steward LaCasce calls Burlington College students and faculty an “ungovernable” group. Although he cast it as a compliment: “Graduate school professors were afraid of our students, which made me quite proud.”

The president who followed Plunkett, Carol Moore, managed to sell 27.5 acres of the orphanage land to a local developer for just north of $7.5 million in 2014. It wasn’t enough to save Burlington College: The bank pulled its line of credit, and the accrediting agency LaCasce had won over more than 30 years before turned it down for reaccreditation. The day before the 2016 commencement, the board learned the college would close—but decided not to announce the decision until after the ceremony.

“I wrote the commencement address to welcome a new graduating class—or to be the final address to any class,” says LaCasce, who knew of the college’s struggles but not of the closure when he composed his remarks. “I said the legacy of the college was not in its buildings, nor in the history of its organization. Its legacy is in its students.” For now, the legacy of Burlington College remains clouded by scandal.

The old diocesan orphanage that the college bought has become an apartment building, a promising development for Burlington.

Larry Tatro, 44, a workman at the site, tells me it’s mostly couples and people with pets who are moving in. He’s lived in Burlington all his life and talks of a hotel slated to go in behind the building, too. It is down the slope toward the lakefront, where guests can enjoy the beach Sanders hoped to feature in Burlington College admissions materials. Now that the apartments are done, renovations have moved to the modern wing, which the school inhabited in its final years, and to the library: It’s going to be a rec room, Tatro tells me.

What’s the word on Jane Sanders? “Bernie’s wife?” he says. “She really put the screws to this place.”

Alice B. Lloyd is a reporter at The Weekly Standard.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-little-college-that-couldnt/article/2009044

I've viewed it in both Firefox and Internet Exploder. The link at the bottom that's supposed to take me to the next page doesn't work for me in either browser. If anyone can get to the follow-up pages, I'd appreciate it if you would send me links to however many additional pages there are.

Got some kind of crap-blocker running?  I had to turn off Privacy Badger for the "next page" button to work.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
Got some kind of crap-blocker running?  I had to turn off Privacy Badger for the "next page" button to work.

I'm running adblock and had no problem, but yeah, some add ons can interfere. I've got "https everywhere" off right now because I was running into too many problems not seeing stuff with it.

These days you almost have to have a "throwaway browser" running in a VM to be able to see a lot of sites, because you never know if they're malicious or just crappily coded. Which is actually what I do most of the time. I just keep an instance of Mint running in my VM with no privacy add-ons in the browser (beyond the browser's privacy settings), and if I'm unsure about a site, open it there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
Got some kind of crap-blocker running?  I had to turn off Privacy Badger for the "next page" button to work.

Dunno if I have Privacy Badger or not. Firefox has an unfortunate habit of sneaking things in and changing my preferences every time they upgrade.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
At first, it kicked back to the first page, then a popup popped up saying "Your digital access is limited,," with a clickbox for "Get unlimited access."  IE 11.

I said, "pisonu" and let it go.

Dunno if I have Privacy Badger or not. Firefox has an unfortunate habit of sneaking things in and changing my preferences every time they upgrade.

That kind of thing ticks me off no end.

Took me a while to figure out "hubby" was Bernie Sanders.  No wonder you were interested in the article.

"A 'transformative President.' "

She sure was, apparently, but let the courts sort it out.

Is "transformative" a new word for it, besides "progressive" and "liberal" and "forward-looking?"

As my sidebar says, "When can we start calling them communists again?"

Terry, 230RN

P.S. Thanks for the expansion, Ben.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »

"A 'transformative President.' "

She sure was, apparently, but let the courts sort it out.

Is "transformative" a new word for it, besides "progressive" and "liberal" and "forward-looking?"

I think "transformative" is newspeak for "crooked."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
Naw, I've heard "transformative" in other similar contexts related to "progressive" et cetera.   But I see what you did there.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.