Author Topic: Family recipes  (Read 7394 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Family recipes
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »
In cleaning out Mom's various and assorted piles of crap over the last few months I came across a real treasure...

My Grandmother's hand written favorite recipes cookbook. I hadn't seen it for years, and I thought it had disappeared long ago.

It's a steno book that's just packed full of recipes that my grandmother collected, either from family or from things that she collected over the years.

And there are so many that I remember my grandmother making over the years... Shoofly cake, her cherry cake, and possibly the most important one of all... her drop dumplings, which she boiled in the sauerkraut.

Those dumplings were a staple of New Year's dinner at her house when I was growing up. My brother and I would have dumpling eating contests.

Grandma died in January 1980, so I've not had them in almost 40 years.

I'm slowly transcribing it over to a Word document, standardizing how the measures are displayed, the steps, etc.

Of all of the things that I've found since my Mom died, this one makes me the happiest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Family recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
You found a gem, Mike.  Good plan to save it as you are.  My grandmother gave each of us a copy of her recipes, but didn't include her German potato salad recipe.  That pass breaks my heart.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
I've got a similar collection of recipes from a favorite aunt.
She'd make notes as to who liked it or what changes she made to it to suit herself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
It's always amazing what a good family recipe can do. Luckily I know the ones important to me by memory, I'd probably about cry without those.

Still need to get the rest from my cousin, who I found out apparently ended up with the recipe book.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
A good source of family recipes is a local church's Ladies' Cookbook. It's usually a compilation of favorite family recipes. I have two or three squirreled away from different churches in my home town. No shortage of family-friendly goodness therein.

Garage and estate sales can be your friend.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »
Sandy has been compiling recipes for at least 30 years in a big loose leaf notebook.  Occasionally, she will take the originals and have a bunch of copies made, and then buy more loose leaf notebooks and page protectors, and make more books to give away.  Only family and close friends get one, and they've become a treasured gift.  There are not only all her recipes, but canning recipes as well, some handed down for several generations.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:33:37 PM »
While my niece took Dad's giant aluminum stewpot, I got his recipe book.  Well, Betty Crocker's that he used to learn how to cook with after his first wife walked out  on him leaving him with three very young boys to feed. (Including one still in diapers.)   So there are some really good ones in there.  Along with the ones I wrote down from him in the last few years of his life.

Good eats.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
On the other side of the thread title... most of my family would be far too stringy and/or gamey.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Ya'll got me thinking.  I should start writing down recipes for some of my own concoctions.  Kids may want them someday.  Paper or digital?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 09:36:09 PM »
My aunt went through my great aunts recipe box and made copies of a bunch of it which she than gave out one Christmas. It's mostly Christmas cookies and other favored family treats (like cheese balls!) The nice part was that she did it on a copier so we all have these cards that are in Aunt Elizabeth's handwriting which makes them even more special.

I need to ask if my paternal aunt still has grandma's recipe box and see if she'll do the same.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Ya'll got me thinking.  I should start writing down recipes for some of my own concoctions.  Kids may want them someday.  Paper or digital?

Digital printed to paper.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.