Author Topic: Double-ogive hunting bullet?  (Read 1160 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Double-ogive hunting bullet?
« on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
American Rifleman, August issue, page 23.  Swift cartridge company ad.

Shows a belted magnum round in the middle of the ones standing up, as well as the same round lying down. Has a regular ogive which blends into a smaller-diameter round nose bullet tip.

I know I could look it up using delicately parsed search terms, but (A) I'm lazy, and (B), I figure others on the board would like to know about this style for general information purposes, and (C) I often found that if I'm curious about something, sooner or later someone else usually gets curious about it and posts a question on it.  Thus, I'm jumping the gun on questions about that bullet style.

So I hope someone would care to enlighten me (and others on the board) on the details of what the heck that's all about and maybe its history.

???

I was thinking maybe it was like the wasp-waist on some supersonic jet planes which supposedly improved their shock wave aerodynamics, but that doesn't really make sense... at least not to me.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Double-ogive hunting bullet?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
Sounds kinds like the .303 Enfield Incendiary bullet I once had.

See the examples here: http://www.conjay.com/Ammunition for Armor Testing WW2 303.htm

.303" Incendiary B Mark Z (Smoke) (UK)
.303" Incendiary B Mark IVz (Smoke) (UK)
.303" Incendiary B Mark 4z (Smoke) (UK)

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »
Perhaps wanted the aero characteristics of a spitzer but retain a frontal area so it performed terminally like a round nose? Belted magnum, what was the construction of the bullet? Monolithic or jacketed lead?

I always liked the lapua D46, has a step down, but on the back end with the boattail, thinking it does kinda like that area rule jet fuselage you are talking about.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
Swift Bullet proprietary design for a flat point solid. Most dangerous game solids are round nosed. They, and it looks like one other, make a flat solid. Varying responses from those that know.
Article on the design about halfway down here;

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/2/21/swift-high-grade-hunting-ammunition/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:41:01 AM »
Yeah, that's it, Triphammer, and thanks!

SEE SCREEN CAPTURED CROPPED IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW

So, to avoid others' having to do the research:

"Our solid would have to equal or better the best straight-line penetration. Flat-nose bullets run straight, and newer concave-nose designs rarely turn, but they don’t feed through the magazine as smoothly as old round-nose types.”

[The] solution is the Break-Away, introduced in 2015. The name comes from a small polymer tip that gives the bullet a round-nose profile, but then separates immediately upon impact. Minus the tip, the nose is slightly concave. Energy transfer is boosted as it flattens out, claims Hober, and exceeds the penetrating ability of round-nose and flat-meplat designs, routinely burrowing 80" or more in wet-newspaper testing. He also says the Break-Away’s profile increases the likelihood that it will hit to the same point of impact as the A-Frame, though naturally that may vary from rifle to rifle and load to load.

So, not being a large and dangerous game hunter, I shouldn't comment on the round.

But that answers my question, so thank you, Triphammer !

Selections from American Rifleman articles op cit, minimally quoted for educational purposes.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:02:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.