Author Topic: Use intruder's gun against him, face charges  (Read 918 times)

Nightfall

• friend
Use intruder's gun against him, face charges
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1487818-break-in-suspect-shot-man-in-home-charged

Armed intruders break in, man wrestles away intruder's firearm, then fires at and wounds one. For his audacity to touch, let alone fire, such a dastardly device at these upstanding home invaders, said man. . .

. . . faces charges of attempted murder, intent to discharge a firearm, intent to discharge a firearm when being reckless, careless use of a firearm, improper storage of a firearm, pointing a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing that possession is unauthorized, and possession for the purpose of trafficking.

Yeah, it's Canada. Still, I wonder what the appropriate response is, calmly sit and wait for one's impending murder? ;/ I sometimes ponder if such laws against self-defense and the related tools are a purposeful message to condition peons to feel worthless and powerless, rather than just a side-effect of mushy brained political philosophies.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Use intruder's gun against him, face charges
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
Holy crap. Canada or not, that's ridiculous. I mean, how are they going to prove trafficking?  ???

Idiots.

I notice there was no "comments" section. I would have been very curious to read the comments of Canadians to those charges.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
This is how you end up with "shoot, shovel, and shut up."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »
So . . . not The Onion?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
Munroe is banned from any contact with two named individuals, must attend court as ordered, keep the peace and be of good behaviour, not leave his residence except for essential activities such as work or medical appointments, remain in Nova Scotia, not consume drugs or alcohol, not possess a cellphone or pager, have no weapons, and answer the door to police when they check at his home.

Really?  Not possessing a pager seems to be a bit old, but if you tried the 'no cellphone' thing with me, I'd have to point out that it's my only means of communication.  I ditched the landline years ago.  Many have.

That said, unless the situation was more 'drug deal went bad' than being a home invasion, the list of charges does indeed seem to be a bunch of baloney trying to get him to plea-bargain for doing the police's job for them.

I mean, "possession for the purpose of trafficking." - Did he not promptly hand the gun to the police when they showed up or something?

Googling shows those words showing up for drug offenses, not firearms offenses. 

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
A CA member on ar15.com said their was more to the story, ie, they were drug traffickers.  Who knows?  Self defense with a gun is supposedly legal, though you wouldn't know it by the way CA cops and courts behave.