Author Topic: Remolded tires  (Read 1605 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Remolded tires
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
Like retreads except they redo the sidewalls too. 

I want to try Treadwright Warden tires on my pickup, but I can't find any information about how long they last -- in years, not miles.  I don't drive the truck all that much, and the tires I'm replacing are just a few months shy of 10 years old and they are not totally worn out.  Does remolding the tire start the clock over for the carcass?  (I don't think so)  So after 5 years I'm probably driving on 10 year old tires again :(

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/warden-ii-w2116e

A set of new Coopers is not that much more expensive.

I sent an email to treadwright but haven't heard back yet.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Remolded tires
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
If new Cooper's are not that much more, why not go with them ??

Tires are probably the most important part of the car/truck as far as safety, why take the risk to save a couple bucks ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
And, it's not just you and your passengers safety at stake. Ever seen what a thrown off tie tread can do to a windshield or motorcyclist?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
I don't think there's any issue with safety for a vehicle that's driven lots of miles.  The soft rubber tread will wear out before the sidewalls and belts rot.  

And I've wanted to try Treadwright tires for a long time.  But I think maybe they're not a good choice for my current driving habits.  I'm also not sure they are the same company after the move from S Dakota to Houston.

Didn't someone here buy a set of TW's Warden tires a couple of years ago?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »

Didn't someone here buy a set of TW's Warden tires a couple of years ago?

I'm remembering maybe rooster.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »
I just think about all the retread debris I see on the highways.  It comes from 18-wheelers, mostly.
New tires for me, thank you very much.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
I just think about all the retread debris I see on the highways.  It comes from 18-wheelers, mostly.
New tires for me, thank you very much.

Not all trucks. I think it's just that most people who run retreads on cars are driving older vehicles and don't do a lot of prolonged highway driving.

Some years ago, on a cross-country camping trip, I was somewhere like the middle of Kansas in the middle of Summer. I was driving about the speed limit, and an older Mustang blew by me like I was standing still. About 20 minutes down the road I came upon the same Mustang, disabled on the side of the road. Right rear tire was absolutely shredded ... and it had been a retread. Heat build-up just killed it. Turned out to be a young couple on their honeymoon. Lug nuts were rusty and so tight the guy couldn't get them loose with the flimsy "wrench" that was built into the jack handle. I had a 4-way spanner, so I helped him change the tire, including having him pull the dip stick and put a drop of oil on each stud.

No retreads for me, thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design