Author Topic: This will surely help with PR for the Police  (Read 7609 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
This will surely help with PR for the Police
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-is-crazy-sobs-utah-hospital-nurse-as-cop-roughs-her-up-arrests-her-for-doing-her-job/ar-AAr4UTh?ocid=spartanntp

A nurse, CORRECTLY, prevents a police officer from drawing blood from a comatose (and fatally wounded, it seems) patient without a warrant.

Officer flips out and arrests her. (Roughly, because apparently that's the only way you can arrest someone.)

Another officer, coming upon the scene of obvious misconduct? "You should have let him draw blood."

She hasn't sued the department yet. But, of course, the police officer is completely unpunished for his criminal actions.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: This will surely help with PR for the Police
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Just read that.
Only question I have is why the hell the hospital itself is not pressing charges.
*expletive deleted*it like this is why the Police continue to lose ground in the area of respect from the public
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
I don't know about in Utah, but here assuming the cop had valid PC it would have taken maybe 10 minutes to get a phone warrant and then the nurse would have been happy to do it.  Instead he bought himself a ton of bad press and trouble.  Nurse knows her stuff and should be commended for standing up to a bully with a badge.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
She hasn't sued the department yet. But, of course, the police officer is completely unpunished for his criminal actions.

Following this elsewhere.  The officer was on the line with his Lt.  The Nurse was on the phone with her supervisor.  The hospital staff was saying "not without a warrant".  The Lt. said to push ahead and arrest her if she didn't comply.  He followed orders.  That Lt needs to face serious consequences as well.

The patient is, to my knowledge, still alive, but critical in a burn ward is always a touchy affair.  The actual suspect that the police were chasing, died on scene in his vehicle in the crash with the truck after crossing lanes and hitting the truck head on.

To be clear:  The officer was trying to draw blood, without a warrant, from a person who was suspected of no crime.  With the excuse of "protecting him".  Really, you're going to enter a burn ward and draw blood from a nearly dead man, with no suspicion of impaired driving before the crash?

Cordex - It might be difficult to get a warrant in this case, as where's the PC?  He was on the proper side of the road when the fleeing suspect crossed lanes and hit him head on.  Suspect dead right there, driver of truck got out while on fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
Mayor and Police Chief have apologized, cop has been suspended, several investigations are under-way.  Nurse has hit the Section 1983 lottery.  I hope the cop is fired and gets serious prison time. 

:mad: :mad: :mad:  :mad: :mad: :mad:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
Mayor and Police Chief have apologized, cop has been suspended, several investigations are under-way.  Nurse has hit the Section 1983 lottery.  I hope the cop is fired and gets serious prison time. 

:mad: :mad: :mad:  :mad: :mad: :mad:

The cop was only suspended from his blood draw duties, he has been on the job otherwise since this happened back in July. It’s obvious the police were going to sweep this under the rug; it doesn’t take 30 days to see the cop actually committed crimes. Due to publicity today the SLC DA is finally asking for a criminal investigation. I still bet it will in the end it will be swept under the rug. And yes this is bad PR for cops in general. We always hear about the few bad apples; but they are rarely prosecuted. If the government started to aggressively hammer those bad apples instead of protecting them that would be better PR.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
Also I don’t think the question of why they wanted this guys blood so badly is being asked. He was the victim of a head on collision. That collision occurred during a high speed chase. I don’t know that there is a nefarious motive here; but it begs questioning.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
Also I don’t think the question of why they wanted this guys blood so badly is being asked. He was the victim of a head on collision. That collision occurred during a high speed chase. I don’t know that there is a nefarious motive here; but it begs questioning.

If they could "find" that he was intoxicated it could clear them of some of the fault in the crash.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »

This only make it worse.  The thin blue line circling to protect itself...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
The cop was only suspended from his blood draw duties, he has been on the job otherwise since this happened back in July. It’s obvious the police were going to sweep this under the rug; it doesn’t take 30 days to see the cop actually committed crimes. Due to publicity today the SLC DA is finally asking for a criminal investigation. I still bet it will in the end it will be swept under the rug. And yes this is bad PR for cops in general. We always hear about the few bad apples; but they are rarely prosecuted. If the government started to aggressively hammer those bad apples instead of protecting them that would be better PR.

And this comes right on top of the cop who told a scared female motorist at a vehicle stop that "We only shoot black people."

At least that idiot was fired. He was a Lieutenant, also. Must be something in a name ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »
The detective arrested the nurse because she did not respect his and his supervisor's authority.  Legalities had nothing to do with it.  It was obvious that neither cop cared whether what they were doing was legal, proper, or even logical.
If the nurse does not take legal action, there will be no incentive for the PD to change their behavior.  There will be more illegal blood draws, the cops will continue to toss their weight around, and the hospital will routinely cave in to the police actions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
The detective arrested the nurse because she did not respect his and his supervisor's authority.  Legalities had nothing to do with it.  It was obvious that neither cop cared whether what they were doing was legal, proper, or even logical.
If the nurse does not take legal action, there will be no incentive for the PD to change their behavior.  There will be more illegal blood draws, the cops will continue to toss their weight around, and the hospital will routinely cave in to the police actions.

All too true.

I sincerely hope the nurse sues. I also think the head of the hospital should call the mayor and the police chief and ream then new anal orifices. That "apology" is useless. The woman was traumatized under color of law by a bully who wanted her to break the law. That cries out for "consequences."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:51:59 PM by Hawkmoon »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
All too true.

I sincerely hope the nurse sues. I also think the head of the hospital should call the mayor and the police chief and ream then new anal orifices. That "apology" is useless. The woman was traumatized under color of law by a bully who wanted her to break the law. That cries out for "consequences."
I agree with that.  The hospital administration should be putting pressure on someone.  They have cops arresting their employees for refusing to break the law.  If that encourages compliance later it opens them to liability. 

IMO, she should include the lieutenant in her lawsuit as well since he is the one ordering her to be arrested. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »
I don't know about in Utah, but here assuming the cop had valid PC it would have taken maybe 10 minutes to get a phone warrant and then the nurse would have been happy to do it.  Instead he bought himself a ton of bad press and trouble.  Nurse knows her stuff and should be commended for standing up to a bully with a badge.
Getting a warrant to get blood should be easy assuming they have a reason to do so.  There wasn't even a good reason for this crap at all if this driver was not at fault.  If he knew the guy, it makes it even worse.  They might have gotten a wife or next of kin to authorize the blood test.  

Did any of you get the impression that the other police/security looked like they were saying "WTF?" when he grabbed the nurse to arrest her?  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:04 PM »
This made me mad enough that I had to watch and listen to it again to clarify my thoughts. I thought the LT was the other guy in the video encouraging Payne. I now think this may be another different officer than the LT supposedly on the phone on Payne. Then some Supervisor shows up and closes the door and talks to the officers without the audio or video being clear. I think there is more than the officer and LT here blatantly violating the law and trying to force the nurse to violate laws. They all need to fired ASAP and prosecuted. I try real hard to believe most cops are good people. My father was an officer for a period of time, I find it harder and harder to do as the years go on and such obvious blatant violations are documented to the point there is now doubt or justification for actions of such officers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 11:00:27 PM »
This made me mad enough that I had to watch and listen to it again to clarify my thoughts. I thought the LT was the other guy in the video encouraging Payne. I now think this may be another different officer than the LT supposedly on the phone on Payne. Then some Supervisor shows up and closes the door and talks to the officers without the audio or video being clear. I think there is more than the officer and LT here blatantly violating the law and trying to force the nurse to violate laws. They all need to fired ASAP and prosecuted. I try real hard to believe most cops are good people. My father was an officer for a period of time, I find it harder and harder to do as the years go on and such obvious blatant violations are documented to the point there is now doubt or justification for actions of such officers.

I don't think America's law enforcement problems stem from x number of bad apples. The problem doesn't stem from the character or integrity of certain individuals. The bad apples only draw attention to a deeper problem.

Firstly, we expect police to enforce too many, or too intrusive laws; and to be involved in what should be private disputes. Secondly, we don't do enough to hold them accountable when they abuse the already too great power we've given them. We invite them into our lives, and then let them take advantage. Thirdly, those who've been most vocal about police abuses, and the only people that get much attention, are the people that have associated police reform with violence, anti-white racism, and other left-wing pursuits. And that's not helping.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:28 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nurse-refuses-blood-test-unconscious-patient-gets-cuffed-103358251.html

The detective left Wubbels in a hot police car for 20 minutes before realizing that blood had already been drawn as part of treatment, said her lawyer, Karra Porter. Wubbels was not charged.
:facepalm:

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »
Every one in a police uniform or wearing a badge in the video should be fired and charged.  Especially that fat *expletive deleted*ck that hit "Door Open" button to let the detective haul her out, instead of throwing himself in front of the door and refusing to allow the detective to manhandle her to outside.

And even if they already drew blood (which I'm sure the hospital did), they may not have done (and probably did not do) a draw for a BAC.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
Be a darned shame if an officer needed treatment at that hospital, or any other in the area unless they were personally know to the ER staff. Life threatening or even "just serious" injuries would be treated professionally/ethically. But minor injuries, poison ivy, etc. could take a long time to get treated.

I worked EMS in my home area for years including a chunk of interstate. New to the area trooper copped an attitude. Couple weeks later a Sgt worked a wreck with us; casually mentioned the attitude, no more problem. Think Sgt mentioned if the kid got shot or run over, his life would be in our hands.

I remain good friends with several LEOs in the area.

Be professional, folks; medical and LEO.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »
Lots of discussion about this in the nursing and healthcare risk management communities. Were I the hospital, we would be giving serious consideration to pursuing criminal charges and civil liability.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
The dumb cop was upset because the nurse was "interfering" with his (illegal) investigation. Boo, hoo. SHE was on duty, and I sort of think a burn ward is probably a bit like an intensive care unit. Which means a critical ward in that hospital was under-staffed for a period of at least a couple of hours due to that clown's hissy fit. The hospital (and the nurse) certainly should be pursuing both criminal and civil remedies. The guy put patient welfare in danger because he (and his equally ignorant supervising lieutenant) didn't know the law.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
The dumb cop was upset because the nurse was "interfering" with his (illegal) investigation. Boo, hoo. SHE was on duty, and I sort of think a burn ward is probably a bit like an intensive care unit. Which means a critical ward in that hospital was under-staffed for a period of at least a couple of hours due to that clown's hissy fit. The hospital (and the nurse) certainly should be pursuing both criminal and civil remedies. The guy put patient welfare in danger because he (and his equally ignorant supervising lieutenant) didn't know the law.

I think he did know the law.  That's why he was such an ahole about it; to bully her into taking an illegal blood draw (for which she could lose her nursing license.)

I don't know why the hospital security didn't throw the bums out.  I guess they were intimidated where she wasn't.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
The other LEOs on site just stood by and watched instead of proning his ass out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
Yes, that burn unit is also an ICU.

The detective in question works for SLC PD; the cops who didn't stop the shenanigans were University of Utah police.

The unconscious patient in question? Also a cop - from Idaho.

This is all over the local news. It's crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk