Author Topic: Is Punching Someone with a Bullhorn Self-Defense?  (Read 1143 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Is Punching Someone with a Bullhorn Self-Defense?
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
Beyond the politics of it (hence posted in RT) which just makes me want to do the opposite of what they're yelling about, if someone used a bullhorn right next to me, I wonder what self-defense options there are?

The volume at close range in a crowded room is absolutely damaging to one's hearing. I wonder what the legality is of throwing water in their face or otherwise physically encouraging them to stop (like just taking the damn bullhorn from their weak SJW hands)? It doesn't seem fair that my only legal option would be retreat.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/09/06/this-should-help-pro-daca-protesters-make-loud-noises-during-cocktail-hour-at-trump-hotel/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Is Punching Someone with a Bullhorn Self-Defense?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
"Accidentally" bump into it with your head as you rapidly turn to save your hearing. A bullhorn in the lips and teeth tends to dissuade its use by that person.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
Then you can claim they hit you with it and drop to floor holding your head and howling in pain.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:51 PM »
Then you can claim they hit you with it and drop to floor holding your head and howling in pain.

Ah the old soccer ploy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Carry a boat horn with you and "give it 'em right back," per Sir Winston.

This one per Dick's Sporting Goods.

I keep one in my bugout bag for signaling purposes.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »
From the Texas Penal Code, Section 1:
(8)  "Bodily injury" means physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical condition.

A maxed-out bullhorn from within arm's reach would certainly cause physical pain, and if it leaves your ears ringing, your physical condition has been impaired.

(46)  "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death or that causes death, serious permanent disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.

This one would hinge on what constitutes "protracted impairment."  I suspect that if you were still suffering provable hearing loss by the time the trial finally rolled around, it wouldn't take Johnny Cochrane to convince the court that that would qualify.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
How cheap would one of those devices be that playback the sound it picks up at an inverse to basically cancel out sound, and how well do those actually work?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:40:39 AM »
How cheap would one of those devices be that playback the sound it picks up at an inverse to basically cancel out sound, and how well do those actually work?

I'm thinking a well-directed EMP gun might be more practical.  With the bonus of potentially frying their phones.

If one could target resonant frequencies of common parts in the, say, four or five cheapest bullhorns available on Amazon or eBay, it might be possible to build one that's a bit more bullhorn-specific.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:37:54 AM »
I'm thinking a well-directed EMP gun might be more practical.  With the bonus of potentially frying their phones.

If one could target resonant frequencies of common parts in the, say, four or five cheapest bullhorns available on Amazon or eBay, it might be possible to build one that's a bit more bullhorn-specific.

Could build one of these.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic