Author Topic: Moar Zero Tolerance at work  (Read 4299 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Moar Zero Tolerance at work
« on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
Thank goodness those students are SAFE!

http://www.modbee.com/latest-news/article174321526.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Moar Zero Tolerance at work
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »
Glad to read the little boy has pretty much forgotten the incident. I hope the parents can get it removed from his record.

These nannybots are going to screw up an entire generation or two of children in their efforts to "save them" from wrongthink.

Take your Soma, kids!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:33:12 AM »
So tell me, just how good are 5 year olds at making IEDs?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain here.

1 day suspension is just serious enough that his parents should make sure he understands saying you have a bomb is not an appropriate prank. 5YO seems a little young, but he's old enough to be coming up with and playing pranks, then kinda automatically he is to be old enough to have consequences if pranks are inappropriate.

Assuming no repeated behavior, this should have zero impact on the rest of his life.  WTF is a "permanent record" for a kindergartner anyway?  I flat don't believe a college admissions board is like "Well this is a great essay, and he has a 1590 on his SAT's, but it says here he was suspended for a day when he was 5.  I guess it's voc school for him."  FWIW, I was once suspended for 3 (!!!) whole days in 8th grade for "bringing explosives to school".  I'm sure it was on my permanent record somewhere, it has affected my life in no discernible way.

If anything the school should be applauded for not going on lockdown, calling the bomb squad, having the police drag the kid out in handcuffs and blowing the backpack in place.  That seems like the more common reaction these days.

On a more serious note:
Quote from: HeroHog
So tell me, just how good are 5 year olds at making IEDs?
Not great at building them, but experience with the Religion of Peace has proven 5YO's can carry them just fine.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »
^"FWIW, I was once suspended for 3 (!!!) whole days in 8th grade for 'bringing explosives to school.'  I'm sure it was on my permanent record somewhere, it has affected my life in no discernible way."

Oh, boy.  Did you expect to get away with just dropping that on the table and walking away?

???

I think that was handled by the parents about 50 times better than the school handled it.  I'll even go as high as 57 times better.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:35 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain here.

1 day suspension is just serious enough that his parents should make sure he understands saying you have a bomb is not an appropriate prank. 5YO seems a little young, but he's old enough to be coming up with and playing pranks, then kinda automatically he is to be old enough to have consequences if pranks are inappropriate.

If I may put my "father" hat on:

Having a 5 year old and a 6 year old, I have a pretty good idea of how their minds work. The 5 year old wasn't "playing pranks." He was pretending that he was a hero trying to save everyone from the "bomb" some bad man had put in his backpack. (Maybe he just watched Rush Hour.)

The "prank" idea was his explanation after grown adults absolutely flipped out about something that was completely innocuous. He deduced that he must have done something wrong, so it was just a "joke" or a "prank".

No it wasn't. It was imagination play and he did nothing wrong. The morons whom we trust to care for children are the ones who have done wrong here.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
Modern public education -- putting the "loco" in in loco parentis

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
No it wasn't. It was imagination play and he did nothing wrong. The morons whom we trust to care for children are the ones who have done wrong here.

You have more experience with children than I do, but again, I have to respectfully disagree.  There's nothing wrong with imagination play, and theirs nothing wrong with imagination play involving imagination bombs.  But there is something wrong with telling someone not in on the imagination that you have a bomb, without making it extremely clear that it's imaginary.  Even for 5YO's.

I would also point out that this isn't an example of Zero Tolerance.  The young man is still in school.  He got a second chance.  In point of fact there is no real lasting consequence from this at all except, we hope, that he has been told not to include school adults in imaginary "24".

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
You have more experience with children than I do, but again, I have to respectfully disagree.  There's nothing wrong with imagination play, and theirs nothing wrong with imagination play involving imagination bombs.  But there is something wrong with telling someone not in on the imagination that you have a bomb, without making it extremely clear that it's imaginary.  Even for 5YO's.

Respectfully, a child does not have to make it clear. He's 5. Children live in their own worlds and that's a good thing.  It's on the ADULT to ask something like: "Oh, ok. That's very dangerous. Now, is it a real bomb or a pretend bomb?" And, if they are still worried, they say "Okay. Now you need to make sure to say "pretend bomb" because there are bad people in other places of the world that DO put bombs in children's backpacks and we want to be sure you are safe."

It's ADULTS who are supposed to be adults and, first of all, understand the difference between pretend and real1 and, secondly, appropriately guide a child about appropriate behavior2. They did neither. They pulled out the rule book and shirked all responsibility onto "That's the rules!"

We have adults who never want responsibility. WORSE, they are the ones we entrust to teach our children.

1: Failed here.
2: Oh, hey, they failed pretty spectacularly here, too, given that we are discussing their over-reaction. They were trying to teach about appropriate behavior by showing exactly what is NOT an appropriate reaction.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
^"FWIW, I was once suspended for 3 (!!!) whole days in 8th grade for 'bringing explosives to school.'  I'm sure it was on my permanent record somewhere, it has affected my life in no discernible way."

Oh, boy.  Did you expect to get away with just dropping that on the table and walking away?

???

I'm guessing he had firecrackers.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 04:01:08 PM »
If I may put my "father" hat on:

Having a 5 year old and a 6 year old, I have a pretty good idea of how their minds work. The 5 year old wasn't "playing pranks." He was pretending that he was a hero trying to save everyone from the "bomb" some bad man had put in his backpack. (Maybe he just watched Rush Hour.)

The "prank" idea was his explanation after grown adults absolutely flipped out about something that was completely innocuous. He deduced that he must have done something wrong, so it was just a "joke" or a "prank".

I agree with you.  My 6 year old just got a lunch and recess detention for telling another girl in his technology class to "kiss my butt."  The "teacher" confronted him about saying it and he denied it, what 6 year old wouldn't and according to the "teacher" my son had a melt down or something.

One of the problems is that adults are expecting children to be min-adults and they are not they are children.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
I'm guessing he had firecrackers.

Not even.  I had those little white things you used to be able to get that you would throw on the ground and they'd make a "pop".  They were so weak my friends and I would snap them between our fingers.  But they had an "explosive" warning on the box, so there I was...

I don't even think you can still get those things.

On the OP, I think we all kinda agree on the [not] seriousness of the infraction.  It was a kid playing games.  We just disagree on how "serious" a one day suspension from kindergarten is.  I say it's not at all.  Perhaps I've had more suspensions from school than you guys.   >:D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »
Not even.  I had those little white things you used to be able to get that you would throw on the ground and they'd make a "pop".  They were so weak my friends and I would snap them between our fingers.  But they had an "explosive" warning on the box, so there I was...

I bought some a little while ago. I think it was last year, and I got them at a dollar store, or a grocery store, or something. Maybe they're not legal in some states, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »

On the OP, I think we all kinda agree on the [not] seriousness of the infraction.  It was a kid playing games.  We just disagree on how "serious" a one day suspension from kindergarten is.  I say it's not at all.  Perhaps I've had more suspensions from school than you guys.   >:D
I would agree the punishment is not serious.  I also agree the irresponsible adults at the school mishandled it and fell back on the rule book.  They are not hall monitors looking for things to tattle to the principle about.  They are supposed to be teachers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »

I bought some a little while ago. I think it was last year, and I got them at a dollar store, or a grocery store, or something. Maybe they're not legal in some states, though.

Almost word-for-word what I was going to say.  I would have added that a couple of boxes are still in my dresser drawer.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
Almost word-for-word what I was going to say.  I would have added that a couple of boxes are still in my dresser drawer.

I had a boss that had some at one point. A sling shot makes a great launcher. Safety glasses were recommended, even though it was an actual office setting... with an extraordinarily large amount of hijinks.

If these were my school administrators when I was five, I don't think we would have had a kindergartener that wasn't suspended.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »
In point of fact there is no real lasting consequence from this at all except, we hope, that he has been told not to include school adults in imaginary "24".

So a permanent record of his suspension -- for making a terroristic threat -- is "no real lasting consequence at all"? I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:20 AM »
If my friends and I did half of what we did in our misspent youth today, we'd still be in the school Gulag.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
My kids love those things.  We buy several boxes every summer.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:20 AM »
So a permanent record of his suspension -- for making a terroristic threat -- is "no real lasting consequence at all"? I have to respectfully disagree with you.

I think most adults regard the idea of a "permanent record" as a fictional bogeyman used to frighten children. Then again, in the age of dirt-cheap data storage, it's probably not far-fetched.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
My kids love those things.  We buy several boxes every summer.

Don't let them forget they have a box in their coat pocket and take them to school.   ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »

I think most adults regard the idea of a "permanent record" as a fictional bogeyman used to frighten children. Then again, in the age of dirt-cheap data storage, it's probably not far-fetched.

This.

We see what gets pulled out of social media all the time. Remember that sweater guy during the elections?

It's not at all far-fetched that by the time a 5 year old kid today makes it to college application time that part of the admission denial will be a "terrorist threat" on his school record. Or simply liking something today that 12 years from now becomes the new "evil". There are a bajillion examples of this on the interwebz.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
Don't let them forget they have a box in their coat pocket and take them to school.   ;)
They would probably get in trouble for an empty box same as a full one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »

No it is true, SWMBO is now an educational audiologist and is taking training on the student information system and told me that they record every little thing about the kid into this system.

This is the system that they use: https://support.powerschool.com/help/sms/800/districtuser/Content/Topics/Student-Records.htm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
No it is true, SWMBO is now an educational audiologist and is taking training on the student information system and told me that they record every little thing about the kid into this system.

This is the system that they use: https://support.powerschool.com/help/sms/800/districtuser/Content/Topics/Student-Records.htm

I have actually seen my "permanent record," by which I mean my report cards, and other info my grade school kept on me. I think it was given to my parents, although I may be dis-remembering.

I think the question is whether or to what extent it follows you past the K-12 schools.