Author Topic: Boycott the Knee?  (Read 22065 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Boycott the Knee?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
In an unscientific poll of posts that hit my FB wall, it's running pretty much everyone, but one, boycotting/not watching the NFL.  My veteran friends were not a surprise.  However, many of my other friends (Including what could be called Die-Hard fans of the Steelers, Packers, Bears, Colts, and Patriots) have all sworn off the NFL.  Several of them I was truly surprised as this time of year there posts are all Packer Green, Patriot Blue, or Yellow and Black.  I was shocked that the Rooney's in Pittsburgh allowed the team to stay in the locker room during the anthem.

The backlash against the NFL is happening, and they don't know what's going to hit them...

I'm reminded of all those comments we've made about people not caring about their rights being taken away, or other political issues, as long as no one messes with their sportsball. Have we reached that point?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
A fellow from another forum mentioned on my Facebook feed that to get into public arguments or public discussions about the Stupid that is going on with respect to the anthem is making you part of the Useful Idiot cadre; albeit the other side, but still contributing to the division.  His implied meaning, and I agree, is to quietly go about your business and rather than saying anything rather do things.  I agree.  It's hard not to be snarky on Facebook, but I'm working on it.

Personally, I have little use for professional athletes.  They've been coddled and praised and elevated to minor godhood since Jr. high.  They've been getting away with dreck since being around 12 years old.  Most of them have the intellectual acuity of a rock.  There are exceptions, of course, but I would bet they are in the minority.  I throw in TV/movie "celebrities" as well.  They are as focused in their fame as much as athletes and historically they have proven to have the morals of monkey and the intellect of snake grass.  So, I'm withdrawing from arguing with dolts who think they are being patriots by supporting things that have been inflamed by the leftist elements who have been laying the groundwork for this since the late 60's.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:04:31 AM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
It seems they are already spinning from the backlash. On the teevee right now there's an interview with a coach or something where he's saying "It's not about protesting the flag, it's about protesting Trump". Okay then - there's what - two hours to a football match? Then protest Trump anywhere on either side of the anthem.

I also just read how the coach of the team where the Army Ranger broke ranks was saying how bad it was that he "was not respectful to our football team".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »
For awhile Kapernick & crew were getting exactly what they wanted by protesting during the anthem - people to take notice.  If they did it during a different time as I've seen suggested, people wouldn't be upset, it would be ignored and that kind of defeats their purpose. Personally I'm not offended by some stranger on TV kneeling during the anthem, and it's a hell of a lot better form of 'protest' than burning things down and rioting. If it bothers people then they can (and should) not watch and eventually that will get through to the NFL, the networks, or the owners.

Trump has rather effectively inserted himself into the issue, becoming the center of attention and amplifying the "controversy". He'll almost certainly benefit from it politically in addition to feeding his attention addiction. The NFL seems to have stupidly accepted his framing and now it's them vs Trump? Dumb. I like watching football, I will continue to do so when I have some free time but I think it's in a decline that can't be stopped. If nothing else kills it, the concussion issue probably will.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »
For awhile Kapernick & crew were getting exactly what they wanted by protesting during the anthem - people to take notice.  If they did it during a different time as I've seen suggested, people wouldn't be upset, it would be ignored and that kind of defeats their purpose. Personally I'm not offended by some stranger on TV kneeling during the anthem, and it's a hell of a lot better form of 'protest' than burning things down and rioting. If it bothers people then they can (and should) not watch and eventually that will get through to the NFL, the networks, or the owners.

Trump has rather effectively inserted himself into the issue, becoming the center of attention and amplifying the "controversy". He'll almost certainly benefit from it politically in addition to feeding his attention addiction. The NFL seems to have stupidly accepted his framing and now it's them vs Trump? Dumb. I like watching football, I will continue to do so when I have some free time but I think it's in a decline that can't be stopped. If nothing else kills it, the concussion issue probably will.

This is another example of Trump's superior instincts/thinking that won him the election.

How do you choose to put yourself AGAINST the national anthem? In what way can you frame this so that it comes out looking like a winner for you?

The left is completely unhinged and Trump is playing them every single day. I'm absolutely astounded they can be this dumb. (I mean, I know they are incapable of introspection, but to be this unaware? Wow.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
This is a good take on the situation:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21472/trump-vs-nfl-6-things-you-need-know-about-ben-shapiro

Agree.

He highlighted a lot of valid points regarding both sides. Especially with the abortion and religion issues. The "right" really needs to be careful regarding hypocrisy. I also agree with him that the left will gain in their central base of EBT holders, SJWs, and one percenters, but lose a lot of flyover dems, likely in battleground states,  either to R votes or staying home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
I also just read how the coach of the team where the Army Ranger broke ranks was saying how bad it was that he "was not respectful to our football team".

I saw that an laughed... The coach forgot who was being disrespectful to whom first....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »
The Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin may have found the magic button. Fans will generally tolerate a team even when ticked off by a few protesting players. The separation is subtle but significant. When a team's leader orders the protest the dynamic shifts to an all-inclusive mindset. Now, rather than being pissed at specific players but only miffed at the organization, fans are directing 100% of their ire at the organization as a whole. This is reflected in a lot of the comments and feedback I'm seeing. People are no longer singling out players for tongue lashing. They're putting the entire organization under direct scrutiny and are being neither shy nor diplomatic about it. I'm surprised the Steelers' Facebook page hasn't been locked down considering it's beginning to smoke.

The overwhelming majority of football fans are solidly blue collar 'Muricans so I can easily see this being a tipping point. I won't be the least bit surprise if (or more likely, when) game ratings begin directly reflecting fans tuning in to teams for mirroring personal patriotism rather than watching teams for long-time fanbase reasons.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:29:40 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
The Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin may have found the magic button. Fans will tolerate a team in general even when they are ticked at a few protesting players. The separation is subtle but significant. When the team leader orders the protest the dynamic shifts to an all-inclusive mindset. Now, rather than being pissed at specific players but only miffed at the organization, fans are directing 100% of their ire at the organization as a whole. This is reflected in a lot of the comments and feedback I'm seeing. People are no longer singling out players for tongue lashing. They're putting the entire organization under direct scrutiny and are being neither shy nor diplomatic about it. I'm surprised the Steelers' Facebook page hasn't been locked down considering it's beginning to smoke.

The overwhelming majority of football fans are solidly blue collar 'Muricans so I can easily see this being a tipping point. I won't be the least bit surprise if (or more likely, when) game ratings begin directly reflecting fans tuning in to teams for mirroring personal patriotism rather than watching teams for long-time fanbase reasons.

Brad

I was a Steelers fan back in the Chuck Noll/Terry Bradshaw days.   I would love to hear what Rocky Bleier has to say about this.   Anyways, I went and took a gander at their FB page.   Looks like it's running about 95+% against Tomlin and the team.   Nice job of pissing off your customer base.   They forgot who "really" signs their paychecks...(Hint: It's not Art Rooney or his son).  My prediction is that they double down on the stupid.

Next Sunday will be interesting to read about how many empty seats there will be at the games... #NotForLong

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:29:18 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
I just love how people are talking about this like it's something new.

1968 called...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• friend
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:49:01 PM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
Old, but seemed appropriate:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5P_GqS30xg

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
I just love how people are talking about this like it's something new.

1968 called...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Since you've drawn the comparison, what real or imagined injustices, abuses, or oppresions are each set of athletes protesting? What repercussions did they face for their activism?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »
There's just never any doubt that Mattis is The Man. Short and to the point (translation: get your dumb ass away from me):

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/09/25/daaaamn-general-mad-dog-mattis-shuts-down-journo-asking-him-for-nfl-statement/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »

I was just skimming FB a bit ago and I believe I saw an article that said that guys jersey has apparently has been flying off the shelves since he refused to kneel with the rest of the team.

The way I see it is this. If they want to make a statement, they should have probably figured out a statement that didn't insult and offend a majority of their fan base. From what I'm seeing from the FB sportzing balls fans, nobody gives a flying *expletive deleted*ck about what the statement is. All they see is disrespect for the country, the flag and veterans.

It's the same as all the other "protests" happening in the past few years. These idiots are just alienating the people they should be reaching out to if they actually wanted to fix something. Which means they must not want to fix anything, instead they just want to have a temper tantrum.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »
I was just skimming FB a bit ago and I believe I saw an article that said that guys jersey has apparently has been flying off the shelves since he refused to kneel with the rest of the team.

The way I see it is this. If they want to make a statement, they should have probably figured out a statement that didn't insult and offend a majority of their fan base. From what I'm seeing from the FB sportzing balls fans, nobody gives a flying *expletive deleted*ck about what the statement is. All they see is disrespect for the country, the flag and veterans.

It's the same as all the other "protests" happening in the past few years. These idiots are just alienating the people they should be reaching out to if they actually wanted to fix something. Which means they must not want to fix anything, instead they just want to have a temper tantrum.

Who y'all talkin' about?   ???

Nevermind.  Figured it out.  Alejandro Villanueva
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/25/nfl-protests-are-the-dead-end-of-resistance-culture/

To give you an idea of how far the Resistance has disappeared up its own backside, several prominent left-leaning figures are now suggesting that “The kneel will now become a sign of opposition to Trump.” But kneeling, of course, is an ancient sign of submission, not resistance. So you get suggestions like this, and I honestly can’t tell whether it was meant ironically or not.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
Aw man...

Villanueva apologized. I'm guessing his shirt sales will be declining.

https://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/09/25/my-fault-only-alejandro-villanueva-apologizes-for-throwing-steelers-under-the-bus/

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot who think he got bullied into that apology and end up supporting him even more.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »
Isn't he supposed to be a Ranger and a vet? And they bullied him?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot who think he got bullied into that apology and end up supporting him even more.

I don't support him more, but I have no doubt that he's been taking a lot of heat in the locker room. He can claim it was a screw-up, and that his teammates would have been there with him if not for coincidence -- but we all know that's a lie. He wasn't just lounging around out there -- he was standing at attention, with his right hand over his heart, every inch the Army Ranger. So good for him, and to hell with the rest of the team.

The whole idea of staying in the locker room (or in the tunnel) to "avoid the controversy" is bullshit. The league rules say all players shall stand on the sidelines during the playing of the national anthem. Whether you're taking a knee on the field or hiding out in the locker room, it's still a violation of the league's rules, and it's still disrespectful of the flag and the anthem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
I don't support him more, but I have no doubt that he's been taking a lot of heat in the locker room. He can claim it was a screw-up, and that his teammates would have been there with him if not for coincidence -- but we all know that's a lie. He wasn't just lounging around out there -- he was standing at attention, with his right hand over his heart, every inch the Army Ranger. So good for him, and to hell with the rest of the team.

The whole idea of staying in the locker room (or in the tunnel) to "avoid the controversy" is bullshit. The league rules say all players shall stand on the sidelines during the playing of the national anthem. Whether you're taking a knee on the field or hiding out in the locker room, it's still a violation of the league's rules, and it's still disrespectful of the flag and the anthem.

when did those rules start?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog