Author Topic: Sushi, yes or no?  (Read 10441 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Sushi, yes or no?
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:22:45 AM »
I never thought I'd be able to eat raw fish.

Then I visited a friend, and he took me to a sushi restaurant. I started out with the cooked rolls, then got braver and braver. When I finally ate that first piece of raw mackerel, I was transformed. That first time I think I tried just about everything raw on the menu. I found out that I'm not fond of sea urchin, but almost everything else? More, please!

I even went as far as to eat tempura fried shrimp heads. 24 hours earlier I'd have said that there was no way in hell that I would ever do that.

So, sushi. You eat it, grossed out by it, or what?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Sushi, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
I love sushi.  Tuna is my favorite.

BTW, Crafthouse in Reston (Fairfax, near REI, as well) has great raw tuna tacos.  On the Tuesday "Happy Hour", you can get 2 for $11. 

That was a subtle hint, btw. ;)

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »
I love sushi. Though I have found I'm not a huge fan of sashimi.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
My wife loves it. I've tried it. It didn't take.

Cooked is great stuff. Raw makes me gag. To each his own!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
I like sushi. GOOD sushi, which is the trick. I think a lot of people get turned off to it because they bought it in a plastic container at the grocery store or something. Having it handed to you by the Japanese chef is a whole nother thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

Love sushi, I'm not super adventurous around here except at high end seafood grills. Tuna is a pretty safe bet. Some others, I'm a bit more leery about. Not as fond of sashimi. Taste is fine, I hate the texture. I mistakenly ordered a platter of sushi and sashimi on a menu. Being the idiot I am, rather than just give up, I covered each sashimi with about 1cm coat of wasabi and that let me actually eat it.

It's not widely enforced, but all raw fish are supposed to be frozen to kill parasites. The better restaurants flash freeze to -70F, with dry ice and some liquid nitrogen. Crappy ones use normal commercial -10F slow freezers.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
I like sushi. GOOD sushi, which is the trick. I think a lot of people get turned off to it because they bought it in a plastic container at the grocery store or something. Having it handed to you by the Japanese chef is a whole nother thing.

Yep. Lots of not great junk grade sushi. It's not easy finding a good place. Best sushi I ever had was in Boulder CO, with a local as the sushi chef. A lot of skill and attention to detail is needed. And there's no easy or reliable way to know in advanced how good a sushi chef actually is.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lupinus

• friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
My favorite around here is a place called Sushi Masa. Excellent stuff, but ya pay for it. Their menu also has a excellent selection of proper Japanese cuisine.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
Yes as long as it doesn't contain avocados.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
Nope.... I live too far away from the ocean!!!  ;)

When I was in Japan beef sashimi was a regular part of my diet.

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »
Nope.... I live too far away from the ocean!!!  ;)

When I was in Japan beef sashimi was a regular part of my diet.

bob

Just absolutely no on that one.

While raw fish makes me gag, raw red meat is absolutely out. There's enough danger with raw fish, I don't need to add E. Coli to the concerns.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
I LOVE Sushi and Sashimi! I too dislike Uni (Urchin), I also dislike anything with that egg foam on it like the "Golden Shrimp" we tried once... <gag!> The Japanese spicy mayo is a bit hot for my taste as well but I'm fine with most everything else. Unagi and Anago (fresh and saltwater eel) are my favorites!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Did you have the octopus?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
It's fine.  I can enjoy it, but it isn't something I seek every chance I get.

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Sushi, yes or no?
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »
Just absolutely no on that one.

While raw fish makes me gag, raw red meat is absolutely out. There's enough danger with raw fish, I don't need to add E. Coli to the concerns.
Actually properly handled it's plenty safe. You're more likely to get e coli from a hamburger. Hell they also do raw chicken but again, properly handled it's plenty safe.

Raw beef is actually in plenty of cultures cuisine right up there with raw fish.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
Speaking of Sea Urchins, when we visited Palma de Mallorca many times during the course of 3 Med cruises occasionally we would be there when the fresh urchin was on sale by the small shops.

They would have a small pair of scissors and some spoons so you could buy a few and try your luck at getting ones with the roe. Between fresh urchin and fresh strawberries and cream that place had some great little sidewalk cafes.

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
Did you have the octopus?

The Tako (Octopus) didn't impress me. It didn't gag me either though. I like to try every different one when I can to see how they taste.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
I have come to like some quite a bit, mainly tuna and cooked, though.  Too much fear of other raw fish.  Love wasabi, though.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:28:58 AM »
Love sushi, if done right.  What's fun is eating a hunk of tuna or salmon that's so fresh it's still quivering slightly while being sliced.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
Love sushi, if done right.  What's fun is eating a hunk of tuna or salmon that's so fresh it's still quivering slightly while being sliced.

BTDT, tuna heart, 1st tuna in the boat. I am still not sure it is a "tradition". ;)

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 05:45:18 PM »
Love raw tuna. Salmon is okay.

Love raw oysters, just eat them right from the shell, no spices or hot sauce.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
Absolutely love sushi, haven't tasted any of it that I dislike. My daughter introduced us to it a few years ago.  BTW, most wasabi you get in sushi restaurants is actually horseradish, dyed green. True wasabi is hard to grow and expensive. I'm sure in the larger cities you can get real wasabi, but I know what horseradish tastes like (we grow our own), and wasabi tastes just like horseradish.

My wife doesn't care for sushi, actually it's the seaweed they wrap it in that she really doesn't like, but our favorite place will use rice paper instead if we ask.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »
I like it, but I'm not sure if I've ever had any raw sushi rolls. 

Sushi is pretty darn expensive here. (wha'd'ya expect, 1200 miles from the ocean?)  I took my daughter to a sushi restaurant for lunch a few years ago, and we didn't order drinks or anything exotic and the bill was still $50 -- and I was still hungry!
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
No.

I've been bullied into trying it twice now. I will not be bullied again.

I also almost barfed lox all over a really fancy restaurant when I tried that.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that comes out of the ocean needs to be thoroughly cooks and served hot. The only seafood I'll eat cold is cocktail shrimp smothered in cocktail sauce, and even that I don't do much.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »

Sushi is pretty darn expensive here. (wha'd'ya expect, 1200 miles from the ocean?)  I took my daughter to a sushi restaurant for lunch a few years ago, and we didn't order drinks or anything exotic and the bill was still $50 -- and I was still hungry!

It's not that much different at sushi restaurants at the coasts, especially if you start adding up the sake shots.  :laugh:

Though in Santa Barbara, there was also the option of sushi hole in the walls that made just as good of stuff as the sit down places for much less. I used to go to one at the harbor once a week or so that was run by Koreans, ~$10 for a lunch special that filled you up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."