Author Topic: Corporate speak  (Read 2279 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Corporate speak
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/passengers-terror-airbus-plane-engine-11265832

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/air-france-emergency-landing-goose-bay-1.4315132

A380 enroute from Europe to Los Angeles has an engine disintegrate mid-Atlantic. Flight landed safely at Goose Bay, Labrador.

Air France said in a statement on social media: "AF66 landed safely. Customers taken care by Air France and rerouting solutions ongoing.

"Technical issue identified, AF66 diverting per precaution to Goose Bay YYR for technical checks."

Yes, indeed. The technical issue has been identified: the engine self-destructed. Technical checks completed - confirmed that the engine self-destructed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Corporate speak
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »
That's like a rocket that exploded about 5-10 seconds after launch I think in FL.  The ground controller is heard saying "There has been an anomaly" as the video shows burning hunks-o-rocket raining down all over the launch site.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »
I thought this was gonna be stuff like using "synergy" as a verb.   [barf]
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
I thought this was gonna be stuff like using "synergy" as a verb.   [barf]

Lightweighting.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
Looks to me they just "rightsized" to the number of engines they actually need.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »
But did they attempt a restart?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
At least they didn't have to feather the prop.

The report of what Air France said made me think of an incident involving a different mode of transportation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 11:04:52 PM »
At least they didn't have to feather the prop.

The report of what Air France said made me think of an incident involving a different mode of transportation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM
    =|   Monty Python?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A380#Engines

GE + Pratt & Whitney (Alliance)
http://www.pw.utc.com/GP7200_Engine

Rolls Royce Trent engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Trent

Destructive testing of a Trent engine
https://youtu.be/736O4Hz4Nk4

Noise factor of Trent Engines: "Rolls-Royce is supporting CAA in understanding the relatively high A380/Trent 900 monitored noise levels.[148]"  

Some of these engines have a peculiar "thrumming" sound which has become the basis of a sorta-kinda cult following, see (or listen) in this vid:
https://youtu.be/ySJJaTlwyQM
(CHECK YOUR SOUND LEVEL.)

Or video-google "Trent sound."  Good, short sample:
https://youtu.be/zM0b-CcfgU0

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:35:18 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:02 AM »
    =|   Monty Python?

I thought it was Monty Python, but it's not. It's the late John Clarke. He was a New Zealander who worked mostly in Australia. This was just one of a long series of satirical faux interviews.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
Any time I have to write an incident report I make a game of it. 
Back when I worked in Salt Lake we would look up rarely used official acronyms and use those in our reports...used to drive my supervisor bonkers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
"Yes, indeed. The technical issue has been identified: the engine self-destructed. Technical checks completed - confirmed that the engine self-destructed."

What would you expect them to say?

OMG! THE *expletive deleted*ing ENGINE EXPLODED! EVERYBODY GONNA DIE IN MOST SITUATIONS LIKE THAT!

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »
Modern aircraft will absolutely fly a long ways on one engine, even with it severely damaged or missing.  Trust me on that.

People always want to hear about this *expletive deleted*it when they find out what I do....and I tell them, if I told you everything I've seen you probably wouldn't fly again  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
"Yes, indeed. The technical issue has been identified: the engine self-destructed. Technical checks completed - confirmed that the engine self-destructed."

What would you expect them to say?

How about just the facts? The flight didn't divert to Goose Bay as a "precaution." It diverted because that's S.O.P. when a passenger aircraft loses an engine. And they didn't divert for "technical checks." Air France doesn't have facilities at Goose Bay, and Goose Bay has probably never seen an A380 before -- it's not set up for planes that big. "Technical issue identified"? Hell, yeah, the "technical issue" was identified -- the engine blew up. They could have just said there was an engine failure and that, in accordance with standard safety protocols, the aircraft diverted to the nearest available airport.

You're a technical writer. Surely you have a good understanding of how things can be stated so the information is accurate and concise. The statement I quoted was perhaps correct (barely) but it was intentionally misleading, intended (of course) to fluff over the potential seriousness of the incident. I understand the motive behind not making it into A BIG DEAL, but the way it was phrased came across as too much of a PR cover job.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:36:40 PM by Hawkmoon »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
Modern aircraft will absolutely fly a long ways on one engine, even with it severely damaged or missing.  Trust me on that.

People always want to hear about this *expletive deleted*it when they find out what I do....and I tell them, if I told you everything I've seen you probably wouldn't fly again  :laugh:

You mean like the ground crew mixing up metric v English units when loading fuel?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »
You mean like the ground crew mixing up metric v English units when loading fuel?

Wouldn't surprise me. 
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Corporate speak
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »
Only in flights to Mars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
"You're a technical writer. Surely you have a good understanding of how things can be stated so the information is accurate and concise."

There's your problem.

You're expecting Air France to address this in a technical manner.

No way, Jose.

They're pulling out the PR people for this.

SOP when something like that happens is ALWAYS to take a very neutral and generic line. There's time enough later to get all forensic and technical in your statements about what happened, and why.

Being truthful, or overly truthful, at the front end of an incident can really bite you in the ass on the back end. Air France made the intelligent information release.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
No big deal.  The have three more engines.

The flight could have continued to a more suitable airport.  They didn't have to land at Goose Bay.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »

Only in flights to Mars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It happens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Thanks, griz, that's actually what I was referring to, not the space metric mixup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider#Refueling

In converting the quantity to kilograms, the same incorrect conversion factor was used, leading him [the pilot] to believe he now had 20,400 kg of fuel; in reality, he had less than half that amount.

Terry

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:05:53 PM by 230RN »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
It happens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Complicating matters was the fact that with all of its engines out, the plane made virtually no noise during its approach. People on the ground thus had no warning of the impromptu landing and little time to flee. As the gliding plane closed in on the runway, the pilots noticed that there were two boys riding bicycles within 1,000 feet (300 m) of the projected point of impact. Captain Pearson would later remark that the boys were so close that he could see the looks of sheer terror on their faces as they realized that a commercial airliner was bearing down on them.

It's funny now, but at the time... :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:40:23 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me. 

It shouldn't. That was the cause of one on the incidents aired on one of the Mayday: Air Crash Investigation episodes.

griz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
Yea, that screw up could have ended up pretty ugly but for some lucky breaks.  What are the odds that the first time someone had to glide that plane the pilot would be an experienced glider pilot?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
They're pulling out the PR people for this.

SOP when something like that happens is ALWAYS to take a very neutral and generic line. There's time enough later to get all forensic and technical in your statements about what happened, and why.

Being truthful, or overly truthful, at the front end of an incident can really bite you in the ass on the back end. Air France made the intelligent information release.

Of course they put the PR people on it. That's my point -- they did a poor job of PRing. Instead of keeping it low-key and neutral, they tried to dress it up and make it sound all technical-like. What they did was make it sound stupid.

"The aircraft experienced an engine failure so it landed." How much more neutral and generic can you get?