Author Topic: KVM switch question  (Read 854 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
KVM switch question
« on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:32 PM »
We have security monitors that run off four DVRs. The active monitors are at our entry kiosk with the DVRs in a secure location. I want to set up the DVRs on a KVM switch, normally an easy task but I need them to actively feed the kiosk monitors at all times. Is the solution as simple as getting a VGA splitter for each DVR, using one side to feed the KVM switch and the other to feed the security monitors?

FYI, the DVR mouse/keyboards are on PS2 connectivity. The monitors outputs on the DVRs are SVGA only.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:00:32 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: KVM switch question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »
I'd like to answer your question, but first, do your professional security contractors have their extra trauma plates, and duct tape? Let's think about priorities, here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
Yes to the VGA splitters.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »

Normally for that setup, I run four monitors (they're cheap) and just KVM the keyboard and mouse.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
Normally for that setup, I run four monitors (they're cheap) and just KVM the keyboard and mouse.

I would too but unfortunately were severely space limited. Also, cheap ≠ free and we just took a 17% budget cut (in addition to the 30% bludgeoning we took six years ago and haven't yet fully recovered from). We have to watch every penny.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:32:08 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I would too but unfortunately were severely space limited. Also, cheap ≠ free and we just took a 17% budget cut (in addition to the 30% bludgeoning we took six years ago and haven't yet fully recovered from). We have to watch every penny.

Brad

Local Free Geek has monitors for $10 per. Hell, I have some old tiny square flat screens I could mail ya. Yeah, monitor stand may be an issue.

VGA splitter works.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.