Author Topic: Computer keyboards  (Read 1708 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer keyboards
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
Sitting at my desktop computer at a time when the sun hits the keyboard, I see a lot of fuzz and lint clinging to the sides of the keys. A light pass with a soft-bristle brush doesn't take it off. I've read that keyboards can be washed, if allowed to dry completely before being put back into service. Is this correct? Can I safely wash my keyboard? If so, how long do I have to let it dry before I can use it again?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Computer keyboards
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
Have you tried canned air? That's all I use to keep my keyboard clean. Does fine getting donut crumbs out from between the keys.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »
The struggle is real. The other good way to see how dirty your KB really is, is to take a photo of it with your phone using the flash.

Canned air will help but a lot of that dust will stick.

And yes, many keyboards can be washed out, although some can't. And it's difficult to know which.

Paper towels with some Windex, and using a butter knife or a credit card as a blade to push it down the rows between keys helps a bit.

KB's are so cheap now, unless you've bought some uber-expensive microswitch KB, a lit LED one, or an IBM model M that's now worth $150+ as a collector's item with a PS-2 plug running into a USB adapter, just buying a new one and pitching it is often easier.

Here at work at least, I pitch my KB every two years.

I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
Paper towels with some Windex, and using a butter knife or a credit card as a blade to push it down the rows between keys helps a bit.

I did do that quite a bit at work, because that keyboard often got visible grime on the keys. Then use the canned air to get the bits of paper towel out from between the keys. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
The newer circuit printed membrane keyboards, which are almost universal these days, really shouldn't be gotten wet. Liquids can damage the circuit printing, rendering the keyboard functionally useless. Water isn't as bad as acidic drinks, but it can still cause damage.

What I've done in the past is remove all of the keys, wash them, then reassemble the keyboard once they're thoroughly dry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
If you use water or a water-based cleaner, rinse afterward with distilled water.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
On some keyboards you can pop the key tops off and then lick the donut crumbs out.   :P   I used annoy a Cow-orker by popping the key tops off and re-arranging the letters.  He was a two-finger typist and had to look at the keys to type (and he never looked at his screen, so lots of typos.)  You'd get the occasional e-mail from him that read:

Usjdg,

Jalajsd asodh ogsalnd sa tao ajsigao aosd obanwn wogaosdi wingao aongoab sa soag.   Rohwn asdg hto asaoa f ghona songanovn.

Tosk

Was quite hilarious.

Paul,

Got your email.  Did you have a stroke ??

-Amy

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Deleted.. ???    :facepalm:.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
Sitting at my desktop computer at a time when the sun hits the keyboard, I see a lot of fuzz and lint clinging to the sides of the keys. A light pass with a soft-bristle brush doesn't take it off. I've read that keyboards can be washed, if allowed to dry completely before being put back into service. Is this correct? Can I safely wash my keyboard? If so, how long do I have to let it dry before I can use it again?

Those times when I have, I've popped the keycaps off and washed them separately.

MS Ergo keyboards when I've used them were a cootie magnet -- euuuu.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
When I worked in the VAX lab at school, we had to clean the 120+ key keyboards.  We would use this to remove the individual keys and soak them in a diluted mix of Fantastic cleaner and water.  Be careful of your larger keys (alt, ctrl, space bar, tab, etc.) as most of those keys have some type of metal spring that is attached to them.

ETA:  The tool helps to have some great office fun.  One of my co-workers was on vacation, so I sat down are removed all the letter keys, number keys and function keys from his keyboard and left them in a baggie with a note that said "Welcome back from vacation, here is your first task."  :lol: 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
Be careful popping off the keys! Some will launch springs and clips into the ether never to be seen again and others will NOT want to go back on no matter how much you pound them with a 2lb ball peen hammer!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »

KB's are so cheap now, unless you've bought some uber-expensive microswitch KB, a lit LED one, or an IBM model M that's now worth $150+ as a collector's item with a PS-2 plug running into a USB adapter, just buying a new one and pitching it is often easier.

Story iof my life. I just took a dozen of those IBM keyboards to the landfill last week. Didn't know anybody wanted them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
Story iof my life. I just took a dozen of those IBM keyboards to the landfill last week. Didn't know anybody wanted them.

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love those keyboards.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
I'm using an old IBM keyboard right now, with a PS2 to USB adapter.  I rescue them from the dumpster whenever I can.  I can't find a modern keyboard that I like -- too squishy and not enough clicky.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

Hold at a 120 degree angle (ie slightly more than perpendicular to desk) and ram it into the desk ten times or so. Flip and repeat.

Then blow it out with compressed air. I use the plant 300KW compressor (obviously not full output) to clean mine out. Replace every two or three years, or if it gets nasty. Clean with clorox wipes every so often.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
Hold at a 120 degree angle (ie slightly more than perpendicular to desk) and ram it into the desk ten times or so. Flip and repeat.

Then blow it out with compressed air. I use the plant 300KW compressor (obviously not full output) to clean mine out. Replace every two or three years, or if it gets nasty. Clean with clorox wipes every so often.

I think you should use the compressor at full power, for Science. Please report back.  I wonder if it would peel the letter overlays right off the keys.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
SealSbield. Wash it in the dishwasher.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »

YOU BASTARD!!!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
I'M SORRY!

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Found a couple hiding in a remote corner of the garage. Ben, Mike, they're yours if you want to pay shipping.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
I'M SORRY!

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Found a couple hiding in a remote corner of the garage. Ben, Mike, they're yours if you want to pay shipping.

Hawkmoon, I very much appreciate the offer, but you should really consider selling them first. Here's what they go for on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00F4FHY64/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »
Hawkmoon, I very much appreciate the offer, but you should really consider selling them first. Here's what they go for on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00F4FHY64/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I'm glad I was sitting down when I clicked that link ... stand by, gotta go take my heart meds.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
I used to have an old IBM PS/2 Clickey keyboard and I LOVED it! Heavy, easy to pop the caps off and clean and great tactile feel. I got read of it when I started working in a cube farm and the clicking was driving my mates nuts.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
The click is what makes them so great. There's no question that my typing has gotten worse since I stopped using the IBM keyboards, but even if I could find the right PS/2-to-USB adapter (I've tried three, and none work), I don't have room for it on my current desk. So I'm stuck using whatever Dell sends me with their computers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I agree with Ben. Sell them. I don't mind the new style keyboards at all and in fact I can fly on the one I have office computer. The one at home is okay as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
I like the old loud clicky keyboards when I'm stuck on a conference call with management on a service call.  They can hear me working the problem while I'm pretending to be listening to them.
"It's good, though..."