Author Topic: Punkin chunkin 'n truck chuckin'  (Read 1642 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Punkin chunkin 'n truck chuckin'
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
OK, in anticipation of the annual harvest time rural sport of "Punkin Chunkin'," whereby pumpkins are shot out of various devices, including compressed air cannons and various forms of catapulty things, I searched for videos on it just for personal entertainment.

But I found this one of an aircraft carrier testing its catapult by tossing truck-like devices into the water.  In some parts, you can see the trucks skipping over the water.

https://youtu.be/IrzgFpkzSlg

Beat that, punkin chunkers !

Terry, 230RN

Notes:
1.  I have no idea what those truck-like things are.
2.  Samples of actual punkin chunkin:
https://youtu.be/dmSyrGsqmg8
World record attempt:
https://youtu.be/MtKyCrfmInA
3.  I have no idea why they call it "chunkin" instead of "chuckin'" except it rhymes better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:55:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Punkin chunkin 'n truck chuckin'
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
When I see the Punkin' Chunkin' videos, I just think that those who wish to ban firearms need to see them.

"Look what a bunch of guys with too much time on their hands and a little mechanical bent can make.  A device the can fling a pumpkin or melon almost a mile, without gun powder.... Do you really think that they wouldn't be able to build guns ??"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
When I see the Punkin' Chunkin' videos, I just think that those who wish to ban firearms need to see them.

"Look what a bunch of guys with too much time on their hands and a little mechanical bent can make.  A device the can fling a pumpkin or melon almost a mile, without gun powder.... Do you really think that they wouldn't be able to build guns ??"

Wow, May I quote this with whatever attribution you wish please?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Wow, May I quote this with whatever attribution you wish please?

Always, I'm eminently quotable.  WIth would be nice.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
Note 1. It is called a test sled and is used to certify the cat for full weight shots. Most common on the east coast is bombing a section of the James River while the ship is berthed at NNSY. I used to live in the neighborhood right outside the yard, miss walking by and seeing the progress. I also did a 12 month drydock in the yards, despite walking to work I would rather do back to back deployments than ever set foot in another yard. I lived on the carrier in winter in Portsmouth yards, lived on an amphib in South Norfolk yards, and did another long drydock in Portsmouth with the gator. I think I would rather remove my own appendix with a spoon.

Somewhere is a vid of a vw bug taking a cat shot. Another tradition is when a catapult officer leaves the ship they fire his boots. Like any other kinetic energy source, left alone long enough and men will play with it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »
Like any other kinetic energy source, left alone long enough and men will play with it.

:angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 03:45:32 AM »
Hey, French G, so they float and are recoverable.  I kind of guessed that from the GoPro on one but wasn't sure.

Kinda interesting about the boots. I guess there are a lot of nautical ceremonies like that.

Kinetic devices and men will play.  True.  It's the story of technological progress, ain't it?  What I gotta laugh at is how those evil bump-firing stocks developed from the thumb-in-the-belt-loop-or-jeans-pocket method of bump firing.   How are they going to legislate that?

Talk about "loopholes" on the belt loops, nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.  Are they going to call owning a pair of pants "constructive possession" of a machinegun, like the shoelace thing?  Or mandate suspenders for all men's trousers?

Despite the recent tragedy :( that's the way my mind works.

Hey, you legally define machinegun as able to fire multiple shots with one pull of the trigger and somebody comes up with a method of firing multiple shots with one pull of the gun (instead of the trigger), and that's a loophole.  People find loopholes in the laws all the time.

Dem's de breaks, honey.  And that's technology.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:02:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.