Author Topic: Trump Admin Want to Ixnay Social Security Numbers  (Read 2279 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump Admin Want to Ixnay Social Security Numbers
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
On the one hand, I absolutely agree that SSNs are horrible security holes in people's lives and they need to go*. On the other hand, what an extremely daunting task. How do we do it in a non-Charlie Foxtrot manner?

*They wouldn't need to go, possibly, if gov was better at aggressively prosecuting fraud, but when they do things like let illegals steal someone's SSN, do nothing to the illegal, then to add insult to injury, assign the original holder a new number, that's whack. No system will work without enforcement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-03/white-house-and-equifax-agree-social-security-numbers-should-go
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Trump Admin Want to Ixnay Social Security Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
And we need to do this because the effing federal government couldn't stick with one basic rule. I'm old enough to remember when the social security number COULD NOT be used for any other purpose. Then along came 1968 and the military phased out service numbers in favor of social security numbers, and then the downward slide accelerated until today EVERYONE uses your social security number as an ID code. That was originally supposed to be illegal. If they had just stayed with that, there wouldn't be a problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Can we phase out social security along with the social security numbers? Pretty please? With lobbyists and bill riders on top?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
And we need to do this because the effing federal government couldn't stick with one basic rule. I'm old enough to remember when the social security number COULD NOT be used for any other purpose. Then along came 1968 and the military phased out service numbers in favor of social security numbers, and then the downward slide accelerated until today EVERYONE uses your social security number as an ID code. That was originally supposed to be illegal. If they had just stayed with that, there wouldn't be a problem.

Now SSN's are so insecure we're back to service numbers.  Memorize your DOD ID!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
I've got it! Give everyone a CAC, require them to change their pin every quarter, log in to their benefits site at least monthly and if they need help just dial the DOD helpline! Should eliminate crime, everyone will be on hold. Oh, and complete your CBT to get benefits. >:D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »

Somewhere I have my old dog eared ss card; it says on the back it is not to be used for identification purposes.   Waaaaaaaaay  back in the early 70s ??  I recall trying to use it in a bank for ID and the clerk couldn't accept it.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
there is nothing technically wrong, or insecure about using SSN as a unique identifier. The problems come when it is used as a password, which is mind-numbingly stupid. I don't see that we need to get rid of SSN since it's filling a necessary role well.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
Now SSN's are so insecure we're back to service numbers.  Memorize your DOD ID!

I didn't know that. Why am I not surprised?

Idjits!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Mine, if anybody cares: 078-05-1120.

And my mother's maiden name was O'Reilly.

If anybody cares.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
Mine, if anybody cares: 078-05-1120.

Mine is 008-67-5309
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
And my mother's maiden name was O'Reilly.

Paddy?

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:10 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Man, this would be a great time to just decide to make everybody get chipped.
No more SSN# to deal with. Just get scanned and your all good to go.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »

And ensure no one is allowed to buy or sell anything without a chip.

Wait, that seems familiar somehow.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »
Mine is 008-67-5309

Is Jenny there ??   ;) ;)

Not Sure...    ;) ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »

Somewhere I have my old dog eared ss card; it says on the back it is not to be used for identification purposes.   Waaaaaaaaay  back in the early 70s ??  I recall trying to use it in a bank for ID and the clerk couldn't accept it.

First thing I thought about. I got it, I got it, I got your number on the wall.....
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
Is Jenny there ??   ;) ;)

Not Sure...    ;) ;)