Author Topic: PIAA Si-Tech silicone windshield wipers  (Read 1825 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
PIAA Si-Tech silicone windshield wipers
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
In this part of the Pacific Northwest, I use wipers about seven months of the year.  I decided to replace the OEM wipers on the 2016 Toyota Tacoma since they were just now starting to streak, and the rubber blade had micro-cracks in it.  Plus, this was the perfect excuse to switch to silicone wipers on the Toyota.  I have used silicone wipers for years due to the silicone blade depositing a water-repellent film on the glass with each wipe.  My preferred brand is the PIAA silicone wipers, usually in the bracket style.  I cannot find them locally, so I have to order them on Amazon. 

The Tacoma has beam-style wipers, so I ordered a 20" and 22" set from Amazon.  They clicked right on using the adapters already installed on the wipers, and PIAA includes a liquid silicone wipe in each package to apply to the windshield to begin the water-repellent film from the beginning.  The wipers work perfectly, and as a bonus, I can usually turn off the wipers on the freeway, since the wind speed is sufficient to blow the rain right off the windshield with the silicone film.  Based on previous experience, I expect that I will get at least 2-3 years of use out of these wipers. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
Re: PIAA Si-Tech silicone windshield wipers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »
Interesting.

I have a hard time telling wipers apart so I have been buying the cheapest ones. I'm willing to pay more for better wipers but I just haven't seen the benefits.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
Wipers? Do they still install those on new cars?

Rain-X.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
I use the rain-x washer fluid and it really helps. I run silicone wipers on the wife's car just plain rubber on mine truck and car.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
I just came back from Wally World, where I picked up a gallon of the Prestone All-Season 3 in 1 windshield washer fluid: cleans bugs, melts ice and repels water.  Interestingly enough, they were all out of the Rain-X gallon windshield fluid.  I usually buy the Rain-X, so we will see how the Prestone does.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
I might have to give those silicone wipers a whirl. I usually just buy the Goodyear ones at Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:12:42 AM »
Wipers? Do they still install those on new cars?

Rain-X.

I use rain-x as well.  It's always shocking to me when I get a windshield without the treatment.

I think it even helps keep frost manageable on the windshield.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
I could have used those this morning. Nate was making himself known with bands of heavy rain and LOTS of road spray.

Was on surface streets and a car ahead of me didn't see the absolute lake pooled in a low spot in the road. Storm drain was clogged. Quite impressive water spout.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »

I think it even helps keep frost manageable on the windshield.

It does.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
I get so much freezing precipitation that can cause wipers to break at colder temps: sometimes in use, sometimes when scraping the windshield and catching it with the ice scraper. I keep a spare set in my vehicle, use the cheapest winter ones because they don't last longer than a year anyways.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 02:37:47 PM »
Anyone have experience with silicone blades in a low precipitation, high heat environment? (Las Vegas) Am I better off just buying "disposable" blades?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
Anyone have experience with silicone blades in a low precipitation, high heat environment? (Las Vegas) Am I better off just buying "disposable" blades?

No experience, but from what I know about silicone, they should resist it better than pure rubber blades.

Silicone rubber is what they use for "plastic" type cookware that has to resist high heat, like things right out of the oven.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
No experience, but from what I know about silicone, they should resist it better than pure rubber blades.

Silicone rubber is what they use for "plastic" type cookware that has to resist high heat, like things right out of the oven.

Good point. 

My wife's favorite potholders are silicone.  They hold up well.  I actually don't like them, though.  Too springy.  I find it hard to manipulate it around to a satisfactory grip.

But I'll bet it does do well as wiper blades.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.