Author Topic: So now the BSA is co-ed...  (Read 4012 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: So now the BSA is co-ed...
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
I do find it sad that several folks here have said "I would not encourage my son to join Scouting."  Wow, that quite the knee-jerk reaction and very short sighted.  Despite the changes, Scouting still offers something that no other program provides.  The development of Life and Leadership skills.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »
I do find it sad that several folks here have said "I would not encourage my son to join Scouting."  Wow, that quite the knee-jerk reaction and very short sighted.  Despite the changes, Scouting still offers something that no other program provides.  The development of Life and Leadership skills.

We are obviously in different parts of the country. I see what scouting is like around here today, and that is why I would not encourage my (hypothetical) son to join. The Boy Scout troops I see around here do not exhibit any of the positive attributes you describe.

None.

My statement is not a knee jerk reaction. It is a considered opinion, derived from first-hand observation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
I do find it sad that several folks here have said "I would not encourage my son to join Scouting."  Wow, that quite the knee-jerk reaction and very short sighted.  Despite the changes, Scouting still offers something that no other program provides.  The development of Life and Leadership skills.

Too be honest, I probably wouldn't go with the BSA if I had kids. It's clearly a better option than GS, but, to be honest, I consider 4H to be a better all around option than either of the scouting organizations, especially in terms of different activities and sports all under one umbrella.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
My daughter was active in the local GS group with my grand daughter for several years group leader for what ever the group is called for the under 10yo set.
We even helped the grand daughter over the top to be top cookie seller in her troop, I now hate the very sight of girls scout cookies by the way.
After my daughter had her 2nd little girl she was informed that she wasn't allowed to bring the baby with her on troop activities, members only.
She told them to "pack sand". I'm pretty sure she picked that line up from me.
From my wife's and daughter's experience GSs is all about cookie sales and damn little else these days.

After settling the knee jerk reaction to scouting going co-ed I think that if handled right it can be a good thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams