Author Topic: When You're the Only One Fishing on the Lake  (Read 1414 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When You're the Only One Fishing on the Lake
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
There might be a reason, like 21 degrees with a 12 degree wind chill, which is what I had this morning. But it did warm up to a balmy 42 by noon, and if I hadn't been in the water at 0800, I wouldn't have caught the biggest fish I've ever caught in that lake - guessing 20-22" rainbow.

The measuring tape thingy on my float tube apron only goes to 18" and this sucker was hanging over both sides of that. He wasn't super bright colored, so I'm guessing he was a planter, but he has to have been at least a >3 year hold over to get that size. This is a little alpine lake known for smaller fish, so he was a huge (ha ha) surprise. Totally worth the frostbite on my feet.  :laugh:

Add in a half dozen wild brook trout, and all in all a good day! Now it's off to happy hour at the bar for the blue collar burger and beer special. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: When You're the Only One Fishing on the Lake
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »
I went to work today. You, as well as all other happy retired people, suck. Any pictures of the fishies?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
I went to work today. You, as well as all other happy retired people, suck.

What he said.

Seriously, sounds like a great way to spend the day.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »
I went to work today. You, as well as all other happy retired people, suck. Any pictures of the fishies?

I didn't get a pic. Phone was in my dry bag and he did not go quietly into the net, so I didn't want to leave him out any longer while I dug for a camera. I already had to resuscitate him for about a minute before he swam off under his own power.

All the other fish were typical for the lake - 7-10". I think I've posted pics of the brookies here before. I go to this lake at least a couple of times a year usually, though this year I only made it once because the road was still closed for snow in early June, when I usually make my first trip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
Didn't know brookies were native west past the iowa and Minnesota
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:11 PM »
Didn't know brookies were native west past the iowa and Minnesota

They're not. They were brought in during the late 1800s. They are all over the high elevation lakes in the Sierra now. While they are still stocked in some areas, I think CA DFG only releases sterile fish when they do it.

Fun fish. The ones here are real fighters for a little fish. Lots of fun on a 3wt. I think a 7" brookie fights harder than a 12" rainbow planter.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
Hey, hey..leave us retired guys alone.  The poor guy was fishing in 22 degrees with wind chill.  That's hard work.  I had a hard day too.  I got up at 8...ish.  Forced myself to drink 3 cups of coffee.  Took a long shower.  Went off to lunch with my group of fellow hard working retirees, the Congregation of Coots.  We had a terrible task of trying to choose from the menu.  We discussed the trials and tribulations of all of the disrespect we get from those who finance our pensions.  I came home and labored mightily on my Husky rider and cut the lawn.  I even had to re-level the mowing deck, after which I had a terrible time choosing which beer to drink...the Canadian Molson or Coors.  I barely had time to have a proper nap before swmbo served up dinner.  Now I sit and aggravate the arthritis in my fingers by sitting at the keyboard defending the trials and tribulations that we poor neglected retired folks are confronted with each day.  Shame on you for picking on us. :old: :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:32:43 PM »
They're not. They were brought in during the late 1800s. They are all over the high elevation lakes in the Sierra now. While they are still stocked in some areas, I think CA DFG only releases sterile fish when they do it.

Fun fish. The ones here are real fighters for a little fish. Lots of fun on a 3wt. I think a 7" brookie fights harder than a 12" rainbow planter.

I've caught quite a few in the 15" plus range, yeah they fight good.

Uranus is a gas giant.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:59:59 AM »
Hey, hey..leave us retired guys alone.  The poor guy was fishing in 22 degrees with wind chill.  That's hard work.  I had a hard day too.  I got up at 8...ish.  Forced myself to drink 3 cups of coffee.  Took a long shower.  Went off to lunch with my group of fellow hard working retirees, the Congregation of Coots.  We had a terrible task of trying to choose from the menu.  We discussed the trials and tribulations of all of the disrespect we get from those who finance our pensions.  I came home and labored mightily on my Husky rider and cut the lawn.  I even had to re-level the mowing deck, after which I had a terrible time choosing which beer to drink...the Canadian Molson or Coors.  I barely had time to have a proper nap before swmbo served up dinner.  Now I sit and aggravate the arthritis in my fingers by sitting at the keyboard defending the trials and tribulations that we poor neglected retired folks are confronted with each day.  Shame on you for picking on us. :old: :P

That shouldn't have been too difficult because only one of those is even close to being beer.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
I've caught quite a few in the 15" plus range, yeah they fight good.

I'd love to catch one that big, but apparently 90% of the waters that have conditions for them to thrive in CA are smaller alpine waters, so smaller fish. I think the biggest I've ever caught was ~10 inches. They've supposedly started stocking some kind of Oregon hybrid trout in the mountain waters here, and they're supposed to get pretty big and be outstanding fighters. I'd like too catch one someday.

Hey grampster - you tell 'em!  :lol:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
I'd love to catch one that big, but apparently 90% of the waters that have conditions for them to thrive in CA are smaller alpine waters, so smaller fish. I think the biggest I've ever caught was ~10 inches. They've supposedly started stocking some kind of Oregon hybrid trout in the mountain waters here, and they're supposed to get pretty big and be outstanding fighters. I'd like too catch one someday.

Hey grampster - you tell 'em!  :lol:

If you ever make it out to Iowa and have a free couple days, I can take you to the waters but I can't guarantee you'll catch one that big. I used to get a couple 15"+ every year when I fished it regularly. Should be able to get you onto to some in the 12" range.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Now-happy fisherman.

Now-smarter fish.

All is well.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »
Congrats on the big 'bow.  I have never caught one that big.  I think 17-18" is the largest I have ever caught.  There is a certain knack involved with the big trout.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)