Author Topic: Virginia decides to suck on CCW's  (Read 5585 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Virginia decides to suck on CCW's
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
Another option is to get a Utah non-resident permit that is recognized by a lot of states.  At my local range, the cost of a Utah carry class is $120, plus $49 for Utah application fees.  This link describes the process and benefits of a Utah permit (from a Washington State viewpoint):

https://app.rockgympro.com/b/widget/?a=offering&offering_guid=7ebdc1f823cc47779c82b4cf8efbfc3e&widget_guid=47f140c946d14e6d9a14648f66575a79&random=567abe9e01ba4&iframeid=&mode=p
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »
Depending on where you travel, I think right now the best permits to have are AZ, UT, FL, with AZ and UT being somewhat of a tie, depending on where you're going. I used to rank FL higher, but that permit is being denied in more states over the last few years. For instance, it used to be good in WA, but now is not (whether resident or non-resident), while UT, which was always denied in WA, is now good there.

Though I have all three, I'm likely dropping Fl when it comes up for renewal. Right now the only thing FL gives me that the others do not is FL, and it's the most expensive of the bunch. Decision subject to change based on reciprocity changes in two years when I have to renew.

As far as resident permits, AZ* and UT residents seem to be able to carry in more states than anyone else.

*AZ does not distinguish between resident and non-resident for the purposes of permit issue, but other states (at least according to USACarry) make the distinction.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
Also, interesting statement from the VA AG:

Those states hand out permits to people who are barred under the Virginia law, like fugitives, convicted stalkers and drug dealers, which undermines the state's law and puts residents at risk, he said.

Exactly which of the no longer accepted states give out CCW permits to any of those categories? At least knowingly to those with criminal records, which would apply to VA as well.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/12/22/virginia-to-end-recognizing-concealed-carry-gun-permits-from-25-states.html?intcmp=hpbt3
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
I can state without fear of contradiction that Louisiana's CHP exceeds VA's in ALL areas by a good margin!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
The hell?  They may have a quibble on the training requirement difference* between Montana and VA, but handing out permits to prohibited persons?  BS...  They do a full blown background check here before issuing a permit.  

I actually would like to see more of a training requirement for our CCW permits, right now any kind of firearms safety training qualifies.  Because it was handy, I used my hunters safety card issued when I was 12 to qualify.  

Ideally I'd like to see no permit required in state at all for concealed carry, but have tougher permit available with an actual training requirement, so more states would recognize it.  We have probably the worst reciprocity of any CCW permit currently.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »
We have probably the worst reciprocity of any CCW permit currently.

Illinois doesn't recognize any but Illinois. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 03:52:49 PM »
I cannot think why Washington state got dropped from the Virginia list.  We are a 'shall issue' state, but there are classes of people that are excluded from getting a permit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »

I guess I meant in the other direction, my MT CWP is not recognized in very many other states because of the weak training requirement compared to what most other locales require.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »
I cannot think why Washington state got dropped from the Virginia list.  We are a 'shall issue' state, but there are classes of people that are excluded from getting a permit.

It is because you look for reason, and logic, where there is none.  This is what they could do, so they did it.
 If they could do more, they would do it, up to exterminating us.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »
I guess I meant in the other direction, my MT CWP is not recognized in very many other states because of the weak training requirement compared to what most other locales require.

Illinois' is only recognized in states that pretty much automatically recognize permits (like Indiana).  Our AG has done precisely Jack and *expletive deleted*it to negotiate agreements with other states. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
Illinois' is only recognized in states that pretty much automatically recognize permits (like Indiana).  Our AG has done precisely Jack and *expletive deleted*it to negotiate agreements with other states. 

Don't you mean the AG has no intention to negotiate agreements with other states?

Missouri recognizes all permits, even states like IL and VA.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 02:03:35 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »
Don't you mean the AG has no intention to negotiate agreements with other states?

Yep.  She's a Anti-2A Chicago Democrat.  It will be a cold day in hell before she even works on any reciprocity agreement.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2015, 11:00:31 AM »
I know not to expect real journalism anymore, but still it would have been nice if just one of the articles about this had asked the following question. What is the number of Out Of State carriers have actually been arrested for, never mind convicted or a crime to justify this action? My guess is the number is close to 0, and it wouldn't look so good for him if he had to answer that question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
I know not to expect real journalism anymore, but still it would have been nice if just one of the articles about this had asked the following question. What is the number of Out Of State carriers have actually been arrested for, never mind convicted or a crime to justify this action? My guess is the number is close to 0, and it wouldn't look so good for him if he had to answer that question.

But if it stops just one gun crime, it will have been justified.  Got to be saving the chilluns and all.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »

California is the same way.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

zahc

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
So, old thread. But many of the CCW reciprocity sites still say my NC permit is valid in VA. The VA government site seems to agree. And most of the news articles about the CCW suckage are from ca. 2015. So, did VA reverse themselves on the suckage since then? Or are most of the reciprocity resources just that out of date?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »
IIRC they reversed.

Chris

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
handgunlaw.us along with opencarry.com do a really good job of staying upto date on the changes in state laws.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 08:29:10 PM »
The Governor and Attorney General caved after there was an uproar.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame