Author Topic: Moar Stupid Reporter Tricks  (Read 2175 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Moar Stupid Reporter Tricks
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:20 AM »
In which a reporter mocks Trump and McConnell, after the former helped the latter ascend a staircase.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22409/cnn-reporter-mocks-trump-helping-polio-survivor-joseph-curl

I did not know McConnell was disabled, due to polio.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Moar Stupid Reporter Tricks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
It's called post-polio syndrome, I think. At least that's how an elderly friend (now deceased) described it. Her son is my age; she became a friend later in my life, and quite late in hers, becoming something ike a surrogate mother after my own mother died. After surviving polio as a child, Sophie went on to become a wife, mother, and elementary school teacher. But the post-polio progressively weakened her legs later in life. She was in her seventies or early 80s when I first met her, and by then she wore leg braces and walked with a cane. By her nineties, she used a walker and a wheelchair.

In the photo of Trump and McConnell, it looks like McConnell's right leg is not only trailing, but off line to his left. That suggests that he doesn't have full control over it. It's pretty sad that Trump can't even offer a basic, humanitarian gesture without getting hammered for it. There were no such snide comments from the left when people helped Hillary up stairs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
I hear she's going to be issuing some cutting jibes against people with Autism next.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »
I really didn't expect the circus since the last election to last this long.  Are there any more clowns in that car?

Heh:

James Woods
 ✔  ‎@RealJamesWoods  

McConnell is a polio survivor, you misinformed, arrogant, obnoxious, vile, biased *expletive deleted*hole. @CNNFakeNews https://twitter.com/daniellamicaela/status/919993572283129856

5:56 PM - Oct 17, 2017

Gee, I wonder what the expletive that was deleted could have been?

So far, I've got a lot more fun out of this election than I spent on it.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:06:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
It's not going to stop, either.

The anti-Trump media is going to keep it up relentlessly. Because they think that the can bring Trump down. The article I posted in Politics from the former NY Times reporter/Columbia School of Journalism professor gives a good overview of it.

It's amazing how during the Obama administration Fox News was scourged for far less than what the media is doing today.

The new "slogan" for the Washington Post is incredible ironic in that sense -- Democracy Dies in the Dark.

Well, it's the WAPO, NYTimes, MSNBC, CNN and others who lowering the veil of darkness. And they're too arrogant and conceited to admit it. They see it, but they refuse to admit it, because, well, liberalism!

Then again, what can you really expect from the Post, the newspaper that has never endorsed a Republican candidate for president. *expletive deleted*ck, those idiots even endorse Dukakis and Mondale.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
Yes, that was a good article and with your permission, I will re-post your link to it:

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/2016-election-demise-journalistic-standards/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=demise-journalistic-standards

It's a wee bit long and could use some editing itself, but well worth the read --I'm keeping in mind it was originally a speech.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »
Remember, it's largely the text of a speech he gave.

I'm surprised that he wasn't set upon by the triggered SJWs in the audience and torn limb from limb for expressing hurty opinions.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
Remember, it's largely the text of a speech he gave.

I'm surprised that he wasn't set upon by the triggered SJWs in the audience and torn limb from limb for expressing hurty opinions.

Not many SJWs at Hillsdale. The would definitely be a very small minority, and their shenanigans would not be tolerated.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »

The new "slogan" for the Washington Post is incredible ironic in that sense -- Democracy Dies in the Dark.

Every time I hear about "Our Democracy" or "American Democracy" it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.  It just sets my teeth on edge.  We are a Federal Republic, because the founders studied Ancient Greece and saw what a train wreck a democracy truly is. 

Which is probably why the left wants it now... To impose the will of the 50%+1 upon the rest of us. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »

Hillsdale is the secret training ground for the cadre of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
Every time I hear about "Our Democracy" or "American Democracy" it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.  It just sets my teeth on edge.  We are a Federal Republic, because the founders studied Ancient Greece and saw what a train wreck a democracy truly is.  

Which is probably why the left wants it now... To impose the will of the 50%+1 upon the rest of us.  

Thank you.  I tried to compose something similar but every time I previewed it, my thoughts were masked by too many "expletive deleteds," so I finally quit that effort.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
As with so many things, the concept of what democracy is has been altered over the years.

Many, if not most, political scientists do consider the United States to be be a democracy inside the framework of a representative republic.

For example: "According to political scientist Larry Diamond, democracy consists of four key elements: (a) A political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections; (b) The active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life; (c) Protection of the human rights of all citizens, and (d) A rule of law, in which the laws and procedures apply equally to all citizens.[4]" (Wikipedia)

Don't get your panties in a wad because the definition has changed heuristically over the past 3,000 or so years. OUR democracy and democratic principles don't mean that we go to the Agora every day to vote on various things while our slaves take care of all of the day to day chores.

But that doesn't mean it's not a democracy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
As with so many things, the concept of what democracy is has been altered over the years.

Many, if not most, political scientists do consider the United States to be be a democracy inside the framework of a representative republic.

For example: "According to political scientist Larry Diamond, democracy consists of four key elements: (a) A political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections; (b) The active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life; (c) Protection of the human rights of all citizens, and (d) A rule of law, in which the laws and procedures apply equally to all citizens.[4]" (Wikipedia)

Don't get your panties in a wad because the definition has changed heuristically over the past 3,000 or so years. OUR democracy and democratic principles don't mean that we go to the Agora every day to vote on various things while our slaves take care of all of the day to day chores.

And all this time I thought a democracy was two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for lunch.  Shame on me....I'm such a throwback...... :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
The redefining of, well, nearly everything is a tool of the Left.   If you tell a lie enough and to as many as possible, it becomes the reality...not truth, but reality.  I could give a rat's ass what poly sci profs say, whenever someone says Democracy alluding to the U.S. in any conversation I'm in, I correct them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
The redefining of, well, nearly everything is a tool of the Left.   If you tell a lie enough and to as many as possible, it becomes the reality...not truth, but reality.  I could give a rat's ass what poly sci profs say, whenever someone says Democracy alluding to the U.S. in any conversation I'm in, I correct them.

We've noticed.

Mike is correct.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »
 :facepalm:
APS

That is all.

Terry, 230RN

JN01

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

Does that mean I can call a magazine a clip now?   :lol:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Re: Moar Stupid Reporter Tricks
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
Does that mean I can call a magazine a clip now?   :lol:
You certainly can.

And load it with .45 Long Colt.

Or .32 S&W short.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »
Does that mean I can call a magazine a clip now?   :lol:

You can call it anything you wish. Just remember the story of Abraham Lincoln and the dog's tail:

“If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have? The answer is four: calling a tail a leg does not make it so.” (Possibly not an exact quote)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
Every time I hear about "Our Democracy" or "American Democracy" it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.  It just sets my teeth on edge.  We are a Federal Republic, because the founders studied Ancient Greece and saw what a train wreck a democracy truly is. 

Which is a form of representative democracy with constitutional limitations.

The only somewhat non-democratic process is the Presidency. Except in practice, it's essentially also representative democracy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »

Hillsdale is the secret training ground for the cadre of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy.

At least somebody is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
Which is a form of representative democracy with constitutional limitations.

The only somewhat non-democratic process is the Presidency. Except in practice, it's essentially also representative democracy.
I thought it was just a Constitutional Republic.  If I were to see Mike's definition by itself, that is what I was call it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
Thinking about the OP, this is the main reason I like Twitter or at least the effect it seems to have on liberals.  There is something about the way Twitter is used that encourages people to forget about the filter between the brain and their keyboard.  They just tweet whatever they are thinking.  They forget that it isn't just a bunch of their friends seeing their tweets, but EVERYONE. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 06:10:41 AM »
Quote from: 230RN on October 21, 2017, 07:17:55 PM
:facepalm:
APS

That is all.

Terry, 230RN

I note the post I was making reference to in terms of the "polite" part of APS has been removed.  (No, I did not officially complain about it, lest the person who posted it thinks I did.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:22:34 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 06:43:53 AM »
"Democracy"

Despite the delicate parsing of the term and the exquisite detailing of its history, I am sure that to most users of the term "out there" in Lefty Land, their definition is "50% + 1," as mentioned above, and as in the expression "majority rules."

It is its real and common use in that sense to which I, and others aboard this ship, object to the term as applied to the United States.

Even today, the Clintonistas are sucking up the idea that Ms. Clinton should have won on the 50% + 1 basis without realizing that many mechanisms exist  in the United States to prevent exactly that... including the Electoral College system.

You can parse and pussyfoot and play pedantic games all you want in terms of redefining what is or isn't a "democracy" nowadays but the bald grab-'em-by-the-balls sentiment that the United States is NOT a democracy in that 50% + 1 sense remains, and is what we (or at least I) object to.

So there.

And thank you, grampster.

The rest of you can go ivory-tower and overthink yourselves into a tyranny.

Of <ahem> the "majority."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:18:38 PM by 230RN »