Author Topic: Firefox Processes  (Read 999 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Firefox Processes
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
Is anyone else seeing this? Since the last Firefox upgrade (or maybe even the one before, but I just caught this) I'm seeing three instances of Firefox running in task manager/processes. They each have different memory usage. I only picked it up because I heard my drive and fan running while I wasn't doing anything and wanted to see what the heck would be using the CPU. The CPU usage for the three instances is only 0-3% though. Only one Firefox window is running.

Anyway, weird, and I'm wondering if it has to do with recent changes in Firefox. I've noticed it has also started doing weird stuff with add-ons, Flash being one example. While I'm not a Flash fan, unfortunately it's used by several sites I use regularly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Firefox Processes
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
Seeing the same stuff here.  Not sure these new versions are all that much better.  Pages don't really load faster, AdBlock does not work properly anymore, etc.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »
Ben, what version of FF are you running?  I saw that on 56.x.x, I also started having problems with 56.x.x locking up and not responding, so I went back to 55.0.3.  With 55.0.3 running I only see one process. Also supposedly when it upgrades you to 56 if you are 64 bit it installs the 64 bit FF and not the 32 bit.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:55:05 AM »
Seeing the same stuff here.  Not sure these new versions are all that much better.  Pages don't really load faster, AdBlock does not work properly anymore, etc.

I have to say, I've been becoming a bit less enamored of Firefox lately. Not that Chrome is doing much better. I'm thinking it may have to do with add-ons. I only run a few, including Adblock, but that is one I would never run without. I think there is a new Firefox release coming out in NOV that is supposed to have "major changes".

I'll wait for that to see how it works, but it sure seems Firefox is going away from their "clean and quick" philosophy into the bloatware memory hog realm. If the NOV version doesn't get less hoggy and doesn't work better with add-ons, I might jump to Opera or something for a while. I wonder if the 64bit Firefox has these same issues?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »
Andy - 56.0.1. And I guess I haven't been paying attention, because I just caught that it is 64 bit. I remember they were running some kind of beta 64 bit for a while with a different name.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
So some quick googling indicates that the running multiple processes is supposed to be a "feature" to speed Firefox up. I'm not sure I'm seeing that, in fact if anything, the opposite. Also if it's going to be a process and memory hog, faster Firefox is not helpful, because then it's affecting other stuff I have running.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/06/electrolysis-firefox-mutiprocess.html

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
I went back to 55.0.3, easy enough just download the install file and run it.  It will overwrite the 56.x.x stuff, I also set the updates to notify me instead of update automatically.

55.0.3 is here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox?cache=no
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
Ben have you tried the Disconnect addon for Firefox?  Somebody mentioned it here and I tried it and love it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Ben have you tried the Disconnect addon for Firefox?  Somebody mentioned it here and I tried it and love it.

I haven't, but am on my way to check it out. :)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »
Interesting.

I just got notice that my IE just got loaded with a 64-bit version.

It's acting funny.  Locking up on linked sites, etc.

Makes me wonder who stole the bugs from whom.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »
I'm still running Firefox 52.4.0 -- I'm on the ESR (Extended Support Release) channel. From all I've read, I need to download the latest and greatest 52.x.x version and stop the upgrades/updates there. I have not heard or read anything good about 56.x.x, and one of the "features" seems to be that many of my favorite add-ons/extensions (such as Classic Theme Restorer) won't work with the new version. That makes me VERY unhappy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:16:01 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »
I am happy with 55.0.3 and the quantum flow technology that they have in it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »
I'm still running Firefox 52.4.0 -- I'm on the ESR (Extended Service Release) channel. From all I've read, I need to download the latest and greatest 52.x.x version and stop the upgrades/updates there. I have not head anything good about 56.x.x, and one of the "features" seems to be that many of my favorite add-ons/extensions (such as Classic Theme Restorer) won't work with the new version. That makes me VERY unhappy.

I don't use Firefox much, but when I do I also use the ESR version.  I just got upgraded to version 52.something today.  It's still 32-bit and single-process.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
I don't use Firefox much, but when I do I also use the ESR version.  I just got upgraded to version 52.something today.  It's still 32-bit and single-process.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
From a Firefox review on CNET:

The death of the Firefox browser as I have known it for many, many years is about to happen with the release of v.57. Yes, break out the shovels because we will be throwing dirt on our beloved friend come November. Mozilla intends to prevent the use of THOUSANDS of the extensions that have made this browser such a great browser. Of the 46 extensions I presently use only 4 will work in this new offering. This move essentially castrates Firefox of many of its most useful tools. Gone will be Tab Mix Plus, Speed Dial, All-in-One Gestures, All-in-One Sidebar, Adblock Plus, Classic Theme Restorer, and so many more. The idiot management at Mozilla will, without question, TOTALLY TRASH their browser. Firefox will be a mere shadow of what I've come to love. Sad, no, incredibly sad! Why even use the new Firefox when the developers strip it down to nothing. The new version will now be far worse than Google Chrome. There's progress for you. LOL

They'll probably kill off the Old Location Bar add-on, too. And combine the address and search window, as in Internet Exploder.

Dumb ...

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
ESR

Thanks for reminding me.  I checked, and my work computer was on a 32 bit version.  Downloaded and installed the current 64 bit ESR.  We shall see.  Version 52.4.1

I have to say, I've been becoming a bit less enamored of Firefox lately. Not that Chrome is doing much better. I'm thinking it may have to do with add-ons. I only run a few, including Adblock, but that is one I would never run without. I think there is a new Firefox release coming out in NOV that is supposed to have "major changes".

The thing I like about Firefox, and don't like about Chrome, is that I can actually tweak the config of Firefox much more.  Chrome hides most of the settings.

Chrome seems like a toy to me.  (And probably tattles back to the overness.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »
Chrome seems like a toy to me.  (And probably tattles back to the overness.)

Yeah, I've been on a "Google is too intrusive" kick of late, so if I switch from Firefox, it will be to play with one of the lesser known browsers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
All I want is a browser that works and doesn't slow way down with memory issues
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »

The thing I like about Firefox, and don't like about Chrome, is that I can actually tweak the config of Firefox much more.  Chrome hides most of the settings.

And Classic Theme Restorer makes it even easier to tweak the configuration. IIRC, it also allows tweaking some things that are difficult or impossible to tweak directly in Firefox. (Even with about:config)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
I clicked on "About" to find out which version I had and it started downloading 56.0 32 bit.

Retrograde to 55.0.3 here I come.  I had noticed that AdBlocker wasn't working at all recently.... Grrrrrrrr.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.