Author Topic: Here we go again... (Texas church mass shooting)  (Read 12675 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Here we go again... (Texas church mass shooting)
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
It has now come out that one of the victims was the shooter's grandmother-in-law. His mother-in-law didn't attend service on Sunday, but he had been sending her threatening text messages.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/11/06/18-month-old-among-texas-church-shooting-victims/

I think we're closing in on a motive ... but if he was intent on getting back at his wife's family (and, perhaps, his wife), why try to murder an entire church congregation? Except, of course, that they were Christians, and he apparently had developed a hatred of Christianity. So maybe for him it was like one stop shopping. Take out the wife's family, and kill a bunch of Christians while he was at it.

There was a definite signal-to-noise problem yesterday, but among all the "He was ISIS! No! He was Antifa!" chatter that went in all directions there was a lot of people that the media found as his FB "friends" saying he'd go on anti-religion rants.

If there was any hard Leftist beliefs or affiliation that also motivated him (it would mesh well with the militant angry Atheist thing...) It's probably going into the memory-hole.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-shooting-suspects-military-conviction-prevented-firearms/story?id=50969640

The Air Force has confirmed that his trial was a general court martial, and that his conviction should have made him a prohibited person. So ... we don't need any new laws, we need to make the laws we have work as intended.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
There was a definite signal-to-noise problem yesterday, but among all the "He was ISIS! No! He was Antifa!" chatter that went in all directions there was a lot of people that the media found as his FB "friends" saying he'd go on anti-religion rants.

If there was any hard Leftist beliefs or affiliation that also motivated him (it would mesh well with the militant angry Atheist thing...) It's probably going into the memory-hole.

It wasn't a mass murder, it was just a domestic dispute. (Just like Fort Hood wasn't an Islamist terrorist attack, it was only "workplace violence.")

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 06:51:33 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-shooting-suspects-military-conviction-prevented-firearms/story?id=50969640

The Air Force has confirmed that his trial was a general court martial, and that his conviction should have made him a prohibited person. So ... we don't need any new laws, we need to make the laws we have work as intended.

Just heard on CNN that the USAF has indicated it made a mistake and didn't report the conviction, so it wouldn't have appeared when he purchased the gun.  Oops.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
Just heard on CNN that the USAF has indicated it made a mistake and didn't report the conviction, so it wouldn't have appeared when he purchased the gun.  Oops.
And how many more have they not reported?
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
Just heard on CNN that the USAF has indicated it made a mistake and didn't report the conviction, so it wouldn't have appeared when he purchased the gun.  Oops.

In retrospect, a VERY big oops.

As I wrote -- the system didn't work. Before we start screeching about new laws, we need to get serious about enforcing the ones we already have.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
As I wrote -- the system didn't work. Before we start screeching about new laws, we need to get serious about enforcing the ones we already have.
Yep, no point adding more hoops if the existing hoops aren't working. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
Did the in-laws report the threats to local police?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Did the in-laws report the threats to local police?

Nobody seems to be saying.  Not sure if that's protecting the family or LE.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »

https://nyti.ms/2hLMM9L
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2017, 10:02:55 PM »
Willeford, a former NRA instructor, got his rifle out of his safe while his daughter looked outside again. She ran back in and told him she saw a man in black tactical gear shooting up the church.

http://www.4029tv.com/article/man-who-shot-texas-church-gunman-shares-his-story/13437943  (turn down your speakers before clicking)

Clearly, the problem is lax church attendance among NRA members.  =)

David Frum, however, has another solution. He wants a lifetime ban on gun ownership for those convicted of domestic violence.  

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
I'm liking the driver that helped pursue him.
I'd heard that the shooter had bought a few rifles over the years. I wonder if the others were bought before his discharge.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
I'm liking the driver that helped pursue him.
I'd heard that the shooter had bought a few rifles over the years. I wonder if the others were bought before his discharge.
Reports are that every gun he had he bought post-conviction.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 01:52:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DLGTYd5wE

"The world does not owe us a life of perfect safety."

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »

I haven't heard yet if it was a "gun-free zone," but aside from that; well-played.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
http://tribunist.com/news/the-incredible-details-of-the-sniper-shot-taken-by-a-plumber-that-took-down-the-texas-gunman/?utm_source=CDH

I like that the guy was both an NRA member and a plumber. Both are prime examples of "deplorables" to progressives. Plus he gave a very humble interview.

Completely separating all this from the actual tragedy, the guy is pretty much the opposite of the beer swilling, brodozer driving, tshirt with the sleeves ripped off "redneck". Which is how the left would generally portray a "plumber NRA member" (especially one that lived in small town TX).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
@DLoesch

NRA can confirm Stephen Willeford is a member & has been certified as a NRA firearms instructor. #SutherlandSprings

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DLGTYd5wE

"The world does not owe us a life of perfect safety."

It's important to note what he said at 3:35: "You see, he hadn't finished yet."

How does he know this? Because the shooter was after his mother-in-law, and she wasn't in church that day. So, if he had not been shot by the neighbor, more than likely the next stop would have been his mother-in-law's house.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
In retrospect, a VERY big oops.

But on the other hand, how difficult would it be for Kelley to buy from an individual who doesn't even know him?  The guy would have gotten the guns regardless.  It just took less effort to buy at regular FFL dealers because he passed the NICS check. So we're back to universal background checks and if the legislators can come up with a mental health screen that is reasonable, they'll probably do it.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »
Universal background checks have the same problem as virtually everything else the anti-gun crew propose -- they burden honest, law-abiding people while not doing anything to stop the problem. Just like "No Guns Allowed" signs -- if there had been a 30.06 sign posted at the entrances to that church, does anyone think the shooter would have turned around and gone home?

Can't buy a gun because you can't pass a background check? No problem -- steal one. Or buy one from a guy who stole it and who doesn't bother to run background checks.

(30.06 sign: https://www.texas3006.com/signs.php )

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
But on the other hand, how difficult would it be for Kelley to buy from an individual who doesn't even know him?  The guy would have gotten the guns regardless.  It just took less effort to buy at regular FFL dealers because he passed the NICS check. So we're back to universal background checks and if the legislators can come up with a mental health screen that is reasonable, they'll probably do it.

What makes you think they care about "reasonable? ? ? ?"   ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »
Universal background checks have the same problem as virtually everything else the anti-gun crew propose -- they burden honest, law-abiding people while not doing anything to stop the problem. Just like "No Guns Allowed" signs -- if there had been a 30.06 sign posted at the entrances to that church, does anyone think the shooter would have turned around and gone home?

Can't buy a gun because you can't pass a background check? No problem -- steal one. Or buy one from a guy who stole it and who doesn't bother to run background checks.
I agree with you but I was thinking in terms of a anti-gun legislator.  Any significant changes would still have to get through both houses of Congress and usually signed by the President.

Reasonable... yeah, all you have to do is look at California.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »
I agree with you but I was thinking in terms of a anti-gun legislator.  Any significant changes would still have to get through both houses of Congress and usually signed by the President.

Reasonable... yeah, all you have to do is look at California.

Don't forget that's why Bloomberg and other anti-gunners are targeting State legislators... you touch on that by mentioning California.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.