Author Topic: The joys of California real estate  (Read 1427 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The joys of California real estate
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
What is the new rule on % of income is monthly house payment?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »
What is the new rule on % of income is monthly house payment?

My rule for the last 5 years has been 0%.
Not having a mortgage is nice.

While I could swing all but the top few, I don't see anyplace on that list I would want to live.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »
. . . While I could swing all but the top few, I don't see anyplace on that list I would want to live.
I want no part of the first 8 places on the list, and 10-13 don't really appeal to me. My impression of Denver is that it's a nice place to visit, but . . .  ;)

I wouldn't choose to live in Austin proper, but many of the suburbs around it are pretty good.

Same could be said about Minneapolis, but the two seasons they get - winter and road repair - grow tiresome.

Chicago wasn't that bad when I lived there, but the city - and Illinois in general - has gone downhill since I left.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
Never understood why people want to live in California, given the earthquakes, wild fires, *expletive deleted*it schools, and unbelievable tax levels.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
At current housing prices, DC's listing is FOS.  I'd be surprised if you can buy a home in DC while making less than $100k.  Doing so out in the DC 'burbs (stretching as far out as 25 miles) would be a challenge.

I *think* the ratio is still a suggested 2.5x your yearly income.  My monthly mortgage, with insurance, taxes, etc, is about 25% of my net income monthly, which is why I'm staying put for the time being.  I'm about 30 miles outside DC and if I had to buy my same house again in today's market, that payment would be roughly 50% of my net monthly income.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
You and I had the exact same thought, Chris.

Zillow says that the median home price in DC right now is $385,000 and change.

What I'm having problems finding, though, is exactly what that list considers to be the DC metro area.

If we go with this map as shown on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_metropolitan_area), I can see that $84,000 price, but that means you're likely commuting a huge amount of your day from some of the really distant reaches.

I'm glad and lucky that my ex and I bought the house when I did in 1993, as there is absolutely no way I could ever afford a house in this area right now just on my salary. Technically I can't even afford to live in my own home right now given that the little crapshack community I live in now is realizing prices in excess of $400,000.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
I don't believe that figure for Seattle.  Median house price in Seattle is now $ 722,000.  The median house price in Snohomish county is $ 430,000.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/more-records-fall-median-home-price-hits-722000-in-seattle-and-880000-on-eastside/

http://www.heraldnet.com/business/snohomish-county-home-prices-reach-new-high-again/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
I don't believe that figure for Seattle.  Median house price in Seattle is now $ 722,000.  The median house price in Snohomish county is $ 430,000.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/more-records-fall-median-home-price-hits-722000-in-seattle-and-880000-on-eastside/

http://www.heraldnet.com/business/snohomish-county-home-prices-reach-new-high-again/

Are they using Zillow for their figures? Zillow is notoriously variable on their estimates. In some areas they are close, in others, they can be wildly wrong. Much depends on real estate turnover in the area of the estimate.

The more turnover, the better estimate. When I sold my condo in Santa Barbara, Zillow estimated it less than half what I sold it for, because I was the only owner for 20 years. Other units similar to mine that had been sold in the last few years had more accurate estimates. So if there are a lot of long term holdings in an area, their algorithm will be off on the negative side.

On the other hand, when I sold my Triplex last year, the Zillow estimate was around 25% over market. I'm not sure how their alogrithm overestimates. Anyway, I find realtor.com estimates to be a bit more accurate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
Yup. Full of crap.  Nobody making $84k median income is buying a house in DC.  Not  a real house anyways.  Maybe a studio apartment. In the ghetto.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
Are they using Zillow for their figures?

According to the articles, the median price estimates come from records of actual home sales.  The Seattle area real estate market is very hot right now, with approximately one month of inventory at any given time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.