Author Topic: Sweet potato pie?  (Read 2821 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Sweet potato pie?
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
(yes, I've had it before)  I have a 29 ounce can of cut sweet potatoes in syrup in my pantry.  Not sure why I bought them about a year ago.  I'm thinking of taking this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12696/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/ and adding the sweet potatoes (undrained) to the custard, blenderizing it, and baking in a 10" pie crust.  I might have to adjust the amount of milk a little, and/or use half-n-half, to allow for the syrup.  Think it will work?

This is for Thanksgiving, so I probably ought to make my famous pecan pie (or a lemon meringue pie) for backup.  I know how to make those.

Also thinking about using up some of the canned peaches in a cobbler, and adding a cup of Craisins to make it interesting.  But I shouldn't do two experiments in one holiday meal just for the two of us...  (and two dogs; if something is inedible they will still eat it and be thankful)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Sweet potato pie?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »
(yes, I've had it before)  I have a 29 ounce can of cut sweet potatoes in syrup in my pantry.  Not sure why I bought them about a year ago.  I'm thinking of taking this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12696/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/ and adding the sweet potatoes (undrained) to the custard, blenderizing it, and baking in a 10" pie crust.  I might have to adjust the amount of milk a little, and/or use half-n-half, to allow for the syrup.  Think it will work?

I think you are going to need a bigger pie tin adding 29 ounces of sweet taters and syrup to that recipe, may not bind well either, may need more eggs

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
When I make a sweet potato pie, I follow the lead of my mom who learned how to make it as a child in Arkansas: pick your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and just sub out the sweet potatoes for pumpkin. So when I make it, I use canned sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.  Turns out delicious and it sets up firmly for slicing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
The pie dough is in the fridge resting.  I still need to clear enough crap off the kitchen counter to have space to roll it out.  That will be the hardest part of the whole thing.

Gonna use a can of evaporated milk instead of scalded milk in that recipe, plus enough syrup from the can to make about 2 cups.  Brown sugar instead of white, and add cinnamon and ginger to the filling.  Haven't decided yet on adding a tablespoon of cornstarch, but probably not.  Nutmeg gets grated on top.

I think it will fit in my 10" pie pan.  It's a deep Pyrex pan that I bought 30-something years ago (the 10" pans with the same number now are 1/2" shallower) and I have to multiply normal pie recipes by 4/3 to fill it.

Worst case, it doesn't quite set up and we eat it with spoons. :D
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Personally I'd drain the syrup and mash the sweet potato, perhaps making a judgement call on consistency and sweetness to add a little of the syrup back.

Another flavoring I like to add to my sweet potato pies is bourbon or rum, doesn't take much just a few tablespoons, and up the vanilla just a little over what most recipes will call for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »
Personally I'd drain the syrup and mash the sweet potato, perhaps making a judgement call on consistency and sweetness to add a little of the syrup back.

Another flavoring I like to add to my sweet potato pies is bourbon or rum, doesn't take much just a few tablespoons, and up the vanilla just a little over what most recipes will call for.

Thank you.  I am planning to drain them and reserve the syrup.  And then add some (maybe most) of the syrup back.  I have no idea how much syrup and how much sweet potato is in one of these cans.  It's 29 oz total.  I didn't get around to making it tonight (I've made the dough for the crust) so I'll doit tomorrow morning while the turkey is in the electric roaster.

I may have some dark rum...
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Sweet potato pie
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »
Here's what I ended up with.  (I forgot the rum)  It turned out really good, and it used up that can of yams.  I tasted the juice from the can and it wasn't something you'd want to use; I poured it out.

Sweet Potato Pie
1 (10 inch) unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 (29 oz) can cut yams (sweet potatoes) in syrup, drained
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp mace
¼ tsp black pepper
nutmeg

Freeze pie crust at least 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Put eggs, sugar, milk, salt, spices except nutmeg, and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan.  Blend with a stick blender over low heat until smooth and warm.  Pour filling into frozen crust and grate a little nutmeg over the top.  Place on center rack in oven and bake for 10 minutes.  Turn oven down to 350 and continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a small sharp knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Notes: This is a big pie; it takes a 10” pan or a 9.5” extra deep pan.  I combined Maida Heatter’s pumpkin pie recipe with a vanilla custard recipe, then substituted in the sweet potatoes without really knowing what I was doing -- and it worked.  Next time I might try cream instead of evaporated milk.
"It's good, though..."