Author Topic: Trump and the federal judiciary  (Read 1338 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Trump and the federal judiciary
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »
Trump received an early Christmas present: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/24/trumps-biggest-win-yet-comes-thanks-to-congress-commentary.html

Late last week, Grassley decided not to honor a Senate tradition of holding up hearings for judicial nominees who aren't cleared by their own home state senators. That tradition is known as the "blue slip courtesy" born out of time before nationwide communication technology when a given state's senators had access to much more information about nominees than their colleagues from the rest of the country. Grassley correctly noted that Democrats were now trying to use the blue slips tradition to replace the filibuster, and he's having none of that. As recently as last month, the Democrats and much of the news media's punditry were expecting Grassley, who is no fan of the president, to keep the blue slip tradition in place. But Grassley gave Trump this very special gift instead.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Trump and the federal judiciary
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »
While the fights with other senators like Flake et al may grab headlines, these judicial confirmations will have a much bigger impact.

And unless the Democrats win control of the Senate in 2018, there's nothing they can do about it.

So keep your anger, folks, and make sure you don't let the 2018 election slide right by.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
So keep your anger, folks, and make sure you don't let the 2018 election slide right by.

Terry

^^^ This. Critical!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
being relatively civilized,  I don't often wish for another's death.  There are though, some on the SCOTUS whose obit would make for satisfactory reading.  The Donald needs to put three more up there.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
Trump has mentioned that he thinks 70% of federal regulations are unnecessary. And while he has made moves in the direction of repealing some he hasn't yet put a major push on. I'm thinking that he's waiting to seed the judiciary with judges friendly to deregulation before he starts his big push.

So Grassley may have just made this a sooner than later thing and for that I thank him.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »
being relatively civilized,  I don't often wish for another's death.  There are though, some on the SCOTUS whose obit would make for satisfactory reading.  The Donald needs to put three more up there.

I don't know who said this, maybe Samuel Clemens, and I think my comment is a paraphrase at best:  'I would never wish someone to die, but there are obituaries that I wouldn't mind reading.'
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
Trump has mentioned that he thinks 70% of federal regulations are unnecessary. And while he has made moves in the direction of repealing some he hasn't yet put a major push on. I'm thinking that he's waiting to seed the judiciary with judges friendly to deregulation before he starts his big push.

So Grassley may have just made this a sooner than later thing and for that I thank him.

What ?!?!  EPA is being gutted like a fish.  469 rules proposed under the Obama Administration were killed in the cradle. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-regulation/white-house-deregulation-push-clears-out-hundreds-of-proposed-rules-idUSKBN1A51O1

Even CNN has their knickers in twist over Trump getting rid of a lot of rules.  http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/17/news/economy/trump-deregulatory-war-agenda/index.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
Those are rookie numbers! We gotta get those numbers up!

It's a nice start but I'm looking for huge chunks of the Federal Register to disappear at a time.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »
Rome wasn't built in a day.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
I don't know who said this, maybe Samuel Clemens, and I think my comment is a paraphrase at best:  'I would never wish someone to die, but there are obituaries that I wouldn't mind reading.'

Just one problem: Twain never said it. In fact, no one ever said it in precisely that form. Matt Blum at Wired has the fact-check: the quotation actually comes from Clarence Darrow, the lawyer of Scopes Trial fame. Here's a fuller version of the quote, which appears in Darrow's 1932 work The Story of My Life:

All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/mark-twain-didnt-say-thing-about-obituaries/350238/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
Just one problem: Twain never said it. In fact, no one ever said it in precisely that form. Matt Blum at Wired has the fact-check: the quotation actually comes from Clarence Darrow, the lawyer of Scopes Trial fame. Here's a fuller version of the quote, which appears in Darrow's 1932 work The Story of My Life:

All men have an emotion to kill; when they strongly dislike some one they involuntarily wish he was dead. I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/mark-twain-didnt-say-thing-about-obituaries/350238/

An interesting article about Darrow- he was actually a crook who engaged in jury tampering:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/clarence-darrow-jury-tamperer-109085/