Author Topic: Sous vide cooking  (Read 12657 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Sous vide cooking
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
BobR, based on my first attempt, I say the Anova is worth the money, especially on sale.  My wife and I plan to use it again soon, possibly with a leg of lamb or maybe some salmon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
Hum.... The more I read this thread, the more I think I want to give this kind of cooking a try.

Do you need special bags, or can you use freezer vacuum bags?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
For my first attempt, I used the Great Value gallon freezer bags from Wal-Mart and squeezed the air out of them.  Worked like a charm.  I also have a vacuum sealer, but I was too lazy to get it out of the pantry.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »
If it's something in the lower temp range (meat) I'll just use regular gallon ziplock freezer bags or vacuum bags but some of the veggies I do at 180-190 degrees and then I use bags specifically intended for sous vide. Partially because my wife is really worried about hot plastic leaching bad stuff, and partially because the bags just hold up better if they're meant for that higher temperature.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
^^^Based on my reading to date, if I sous vide anything at 150 degrees or above, I am going to use my vacuum sealer bags.  I have read of Ziplock failures at higher temperatures.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tender-decadent-pork-belly-adobo

This may be my next recipe.  There are a ton of Filipinos in the Seattle area, and I have eaten a great deal of Filipino food, and adobo pork, pancit and lumpia are among my favorite foods.

robear

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tender-decadent-pork-belly-adobo

This may be my next recipe.  There are a ton of Filipinos in the Seattle area, and I have eaten a great deal of Filipino food, and adobo pork, pancit and lumpia are among my favorite foods.

That sounds REALLY good.   I may have to try that one myself.   I've had an Anova for about 6 months or so now.   Made mostly steaks and pork chops so far, but everything I have made has been excellent.

Here's a good YouTube channel for sous vide fans: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
We've got a (small, 3#) brisket going right now at 135* for 50 hours. Ideally I'd smoke it after but I don't have a smoker so it will go in a 220* oven for 3 hours when it's done to develop some bark.

For anything under 150* I've been going with gallon ziploc freezer bags.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
OK, question....

Why are some of these cuts of meat being held at temperature for 30, 40, 50 hours or even longer?

What's the purpose of having something hang out at 135 deg. F for 2+ days?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
OK, question....

Why are some of these cuts of meat being held at temperature for 30, 40, 50 hours or even longer?

I'd be worried about it becoming a microbiology dish at those temps and time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
I never even thought about that. The danger zone is 40 to 140 F.

Anything in between can be really problematic over time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
OK, this article says that it's actually OK...

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-safe-is-sous-vide-cooking-229843

I still want to know what the advantage of holding a cut of meat at a set temperature for 2 days is...

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 01:01:32 PM »

That temperature turns collagen into gelatin, the longer you leave it the more breaks down so it just gets more tender.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
I never even thought about that. The danger zone is 40 to 140 F.

Anything in between can be really problematic over time.

Most food borne human pathogen bacteria quit reproducing at 102F, most are dead by 135F.

Botulism is the one that gives me concerns, especially due to the amount of time the food is cooked.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »
OK, I messed up in reading that.

For some reason I thought Marnroot was sous viding a steak. Yeah, I get the desire to do this with a brisket.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
"Botulism is the one that gives me concerns, especially due to the amount of time the food is cooked."

Ah, who gives a *expletive deleted*it about full-body paralysis if you've had a really good meal!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
Botulism can't grow at temps over 122* (https://food.unl.edu/clostridium-botulinum). Spores require temps over boiling to kill, yes, but they're not growing and creating toxins over 122*. The danger with botulism is when food is stored in the danger range for long while spores are still viable. 130+ isn't a danger range for botulism growth.

Yeah, steaks I do for a much shorter amount of time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »
Botulism can't grow at temps over 122* (https://food.unl.edu/clostridium-botulinum). Spores require temps over boiling to kill, yes, but they're not growing and creating toxins over 122*. The danger with botulism is when food is stored in the danger range for long while spores are still viable. 130+ isn't a danger range for botulism growth.

Yeah, steaks I do for a much shorter amount of time.

How long does it take for the inside of the meat to get to 122F and since you don't get to boiling temps, how long does take to come down to temps after cooking? That is the worry window of botulism. Luckily it is pretty rare these days, but it can happen.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »
How long does it take for the inside of the meat to get to 122F and since you don't get to boiling temps, how long does take to come down to temps after cooking? That is the worry window of botulism. Luckily it is pretty rare these days, but it can happen.

Good questions, I'm not 100% sure. On the cooling-down side, the general wisdom on sous vide is to eat it immediately, or plunge it into an ice bath to cool it down quickly right after taking it out of the hot water if you're not eating it right away. I wouldn't expect botulism to be much of a worry on the cooling-down side once it's out of the bag since botulism is anaerobic. In a an air-evacuated bag, the heating-up side of things has some potential for issues I suppose.

Based on the lack of a botulism epidemic amongst sous vide enthusiasts, my guess is if you keep things at a safe temp before the bath and do a rapid ice-bath cooldown on anything you're not eating immediately, the risk is fairly low, at least in the same neighborhood of risk as any cooking that doesn't involve turning meat into a carbon brick.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »
I bought some frozen tilapia filets.  Any ideas or good recipes for sous vide tilapia?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »
I bought some frozen tilapia filets.  Any ideas or good recipes for sous vide tilapia?

Yes! Great recipe...

1. Throw trashlapia in the garbage.

2. Order a pizza.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
Yes! Great recipe...

1. Throw trashlapia in the garbage.

2. Order a pizza.

+1000 and more.

I don't eat a lot of fish and tilapia is one I would never eat. Sous vide or not. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
I don't eat it simply because I don't like the taste. It tastes bitter to me, which is apparently the case for some people. There are compounds in the skin that are extremely bitter, and apparently minute quantities can migrate to the flesh.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
I am going to try a 132 degree cook for 30 minutes and I will report back.  The skinless and boned fish filets are in individual cryovac packets, so I will just toss the packets into the bath.  I am thinking of finishing them off with some butter and Johnny's seafood seasoning: https://johnnysfinefoods.com/products/master-blends/lemon-dill-seasoning-4-75oz/

This was an experiment, so if it turns out we are not fond of tilapia, no great loss.  I bought them at Target.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
I am going to try a 132 degree cook for 30 minutes and I will report back.  The skinless and boned fish filets are in individual cryovac packets, so I will just toss the packets into the bath.  I am thinking of finishing them off with some butter and Johnny's seafood seasoning: https://johnnysfinefoods.com/products/master-blends/lemon-dill-seasoning-4-75oz/

This was an experiment, so if it turns out we are not fond of tilapia, no great loss.  I bought them at Target.

Target sells food?!?!?! I guess I need to get out more. I haven't been in a Target for probably 20 years. Have you done salmon yet, it seems like the perfect fish (that and a nice thick chunk of cod) for the sous vide.

Bob