Author Topic: Horseradish  (Read 2547 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Horseradish
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Just about time to dig horseradish and process it.  We usually get 42-48 ounces.  Most is given away to friends and family.  We do the traditional grind, add heavy cream, mustard, vinegar and black pepper.  For our Christmas prime rib, we also make up some with sour cream, kinda like Arby's Horsey Sauce, but MUCH better.

Note: processing horseradish in the kitchen makes peeling onions seem pleasant.  We do as much as possible outside.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
You know, I don't think I've ever even seen horseradish at the nursery. Never thought about growing it. I'm going to have to try and track some down for Spring planting and give it a go. It would be interesting to try making my own sauce.

If it in fact will even grow well here, which may be why I never see it at the nursery.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
Somewhat related, but a company in Oregon is apparently one of the very few to be able to grow gourmet-level wasabi outside of Japan.  They will even sell you plants.  I read about them in the WSJ a few years back.

http://www.thewasabistore.com/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:50:55 PM »
You know, I don't think I've ever even seen horseradish at the nursery. Never thought about growing it. I'm going to have to try and track some down for Spring planting and give it a go. It would be interesting to try making my own sauce.

If it in fact will even grow well here, which may be why I never see it at the nursery.  :laugh:

Grocery store horseradish roots will grow.  That's how I got my start.  I haven't harvested them in several years, I should probably pull it all up before the ground freezes so I get vigorous new plants next year from the broken pieces left behind.
"It's good, though..."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »

If it in fact will even grow well here, which may be why I never see it at the nursery.  laugh
I've started some with grocery store roots, but I used the tops.  One should use pieces of root, buried deeper.  It will start from roots or even green tops and it will grow about anywhere.  Just make sure you put it someplace out of the way, because, once started, it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Our patch was here when we moved in 23 years ago, so it's probably at least 50 years old.  First couple of years I dug it with a front end loader.  Now I dig it every winter and it's easy to dig.  Wasabi, on the other hand, is very difficult to grow.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:42 PM »
https://www.noursefarms.com/ is a very good supplier of asparagus, horseradish, and many other plants, including berries.  Their growing instructions that they send with your roots are the very best I've ever seen.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the link, Larry. Also I had no idea that horseradish was so hardy and prolific.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
https://www.noursefarms.com/ is a very good supplier of asparagus, horseradish, and many other plants, including berries.  Their growing instructions that they send with your roots are the very best I've ever seen.

Huh.  Those guys are not too far from me.  I figured a farm specializing in commercially growing berry plants would be located in the south.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?