Author Topic: Change of plans (reloading style)  (Read 1760 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Change of plans (reloading style)
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Yesterday I loaded up my free brass for 10mm (200 rounds) which brought my total loaded for 10mm to CA apoplexy levels. :)

So today I figured I would do some 45ACP, as always I verify everything is still set from last time (Dillon 550B Toolheads) and dropped a load of powder and weighed it and it was a touch on the heavy side according to the data I was using. So I did a few more and yep, all heavy. I should have been throwing about 6.5 grains and was actually doing 7.7, .1 over the max load for that bullet and powder. I looked back at my manual and the line below the one I was using was for a different powder and was right where it should be, 7.7 grains.

Thankfully I only loaded up 100 rounds the last time so now instead of reloading right away I am tearing down my previous work so I can start over.

I am just glad I make it a habit to check everything every time I reload and to label the boxes with what they are. I wouldn't have minded the max load had I worked up to it to see what it did, but because I didn't it is tear down time.

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Change of plans (reloading style)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »
Presuming you're running them through a well-maintained modern firearm, they would very likely have given zero problems.

Reloading manuals are notoriously conservative, especially for legacy calibers that may end up being fired through old, tired, or just plain poorly constructed firearms. Given .45 ACP's relatively modest chamber pressure, a 1.3% over-charge from stated max is well within the presumed safety margin for reloading data (which can be 50% or more). I wouldn't be concerned unless you have a vintage firearm or something with questionable metallurgy, at least to the point of spending a bunch of time pulling bullets.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:24:45 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
I thought about that after I pulled them :(

I should have just run them through my old steel Ruger P90, that thing is a tank.

Because it was only 100 it wasn't that big a deal. They were pulled and reloaded a lot quicker than I thought it would take.

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »

I should have just run them through my old steel Ruger P90, that thing is a tank.

My P90 is one of the few guns I ever sold (deal on a rifle that was too good to pass up). Wish I still had it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
About 15 years ago I reduced my shooting activity to "amateur" levels and gave most of my reloading stuff, including manuals, to Son2.   Several times he's remarked about how "max loads" in modern manuals are a lot lighter than those in my ancient manuals.

A side note on that is that back when I was experimenting with all kinds of guns and cartridges, I always found the best loads in terms of accuracy and reliability were always considerably lighter than the max loads listed in those manuals of the time.

Of course, those were the days when 3238 feet per second was infinitely better than 3237 feet per second.

Just a historical note.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:14:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
AHDM1142018

I have a seldom used P90.  Someday I'll look for a modern kydex holster for it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
I have a seldom used P90.  Someday I'll look for a modern kydex holster for it.

Alien Gear out of Post Falls, ID has that.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/ruger-p90.html

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
I have a short ton of reloading supplies right now, but I had to tear my bench down a couple of years ago to replace my water heater and I've not set anything back up yet.

I'm thinking of getting one of those portable reloading stands, but I really want to get my basement reconfigured so I can put in a permanent reloading area.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »
Alien Gear out of Post Falls, ID has that.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/ruger-p90.html

bob

I've got a couple Aliengears, unused on a shelf.  Other things work better for me.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »
When I finally got around to setting up dedicated space for reloading I bought one of those wooden work benches from Harbor Freight and it has worked like a champ.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-62603.html

I also did wall panels to hang stuff on that worked out really well. Costco used to sell 3 packs for a decent price.

https://www.wallcontrol.com/slotted-only-toolboard-panels/

If you bide your time and keep looking both items go on sale frequently.

bob

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »
I've got a couple Aliengears, unused on a shelf.  Other things work better for me.

I have driven by there multiple times and have never felt compelled to go in for some reason. Something about them just doesn't appeal to me.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
You don't have any problems with it moving on the floor when you're resizing rifle cases?

I had that problem with my old bench, and it was annoying as hell to the point where I finally JB Welded the feet to the floor. That gave just enough grip that it stayed put, but I had to use a sledge hammer to knock them loose.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
My current setup is one of these with a 1 1/4" particle board top.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/work-supports-workbenches/xtreme-garage-reg-60-adjustable-workbench/60adjustableworkbench1993804/p-1444422659318-c-19492.htm?tid=-8769552418294234668&ipos=7
I had to cut a notch in the top to make the cartridge hopper for my LnL press to fit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
When I finally got around to setting up dedicated space for reloading I bought one of those wooden work benches from Harbor Freight and it has worked like a champ.

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-62603.html

Sturdy? That's a nice looking bench.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »
I'm going to be having to get a new bench myself pretty soon here when I move. My current bench I built myself and I reinforced the crap out of it. All wood, but attached to wall studs and the floor and it don't move.

I'm deciding whether I want to build another one or just buy something, or a couple of somethings. My current bench is around 12' long and is really a "gun bench". Cleaning section on one end, transitions to the "gunsmithing section", then to the reloading section where I have a Dillon 650 and a small Lee press permanently mounted, and an area to clamp my MEC shotshell reloader. Then of course various shelving underneath.

Space is not a consideration at the new place, but I'm kinda thinking a couple of benches gives me more options. Maybe another homebuilt reloading bench, but then a store bought bench that I can move around if I need/want to for other gun-related stuff that doesn't require an "immovable object" as a base.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »

When I went to re-do my setup, I got a quarter sheet of 1 inch  plywood from Menard's, and replaced the cheezy fiberboard surface of a workbench we had.   For this purpose, it works great.

I also got Lee's bench mounting plate system.  The metal plates are pre-drilled for Lee presses, and that's pretty much all of what I'm using now.   Ditto, works just fine, very solid.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Sturdy? That's a nice looking bench.

I have no problems with it, I have a Dillon 550 in the high mount on it and it doesn't budge when doing pistol cases. My rifle set up is on an old cherry office desk that weighs a ton so I can't vouch for resizing rifle cases on the HF one. I also had a steel worker friend make a 6x6x1/4" hunk of steel plate for me that I screwed to the other end of the bench to use with my inertia hammer to unload bullets.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »
I have driven by there multiple times and have never felt compelled to go in for some reason. Something about them just doesn't appeal to me.

bob

Everything John Correia says here (This is Why I Believe Hybrid Holsters Are Awful), I agree with.

Too big, clips don't hold to the belt reliably, clumsy to put on and take off. Metal clips can cut you or damage furniture.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 01:02:41 PM »

I also got Lee's bench mounting plate system.  The metal plates are pre-drilled for Lee presses, and that's pretty much all of what I'm using now.   Ditto, works just fine, very solid.

I need to do something like that on the next one.  I rednecked mine with 3/4" plywood (for the whole bench) and then 2x10s along the frame under the stress points for the presses with big ass washers for the bolts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
I've been thinking work tables like that, too, but that bench has some nice storage options for things like dies, shell holders, etc. that I currently have to store elsewhere.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
I have a short ton of reloading supplies right now, but I had to tear my bench down a couple of years ago to replace my water heater and I've not set anything back up yet.

I'm thinking of getting one of those portable reloading stands, but I really want to get my basement reconfigured so I can put in a permanent reloading area.

My basement flooded last summer, shortly after I got back from Operation Godfather. I fixed the water infiltration problem, you ought to see the reloading/gun room room I am building.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
I once found an old diner pedestal table, originally about 4' x 4', 1 1/4" plywood top. Cut the top down to 16 x 16 & mounted a press. Big foot allows me to stand on it to really get some leverage, total weight makes it "semi" portable at best. Solid as a rock though.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Lowe’s sells a nice stainless steel workbench with wooden top. Has a light, pegboard back, and a couple of drawers. I feel that it would make a really nice reloading bench
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
Thread necro, figure I’d post a pic of my current setup now that I have my small basement workshop setup.
The area was an old bar/kitchen in my basement that I ripped out.

Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »
A friend of mine came into possession of about 30 running feet of old maple bowling lane. I helped him build reloading and bullet casting and gun smithing work benches in his gun room. And a bar in another basement room.
I cried when I found out he sold his house and threw those benches in on the sale.
What we have here is failure to communicate.