Author Topic: Denver Steak/Zabuton/Boneless Chuck Short Rib/Underblade Steak  (Read 2665 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Denver Steak/Zabuton/Boneless Chuck Short Rib/Underblade Steak
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
SWMBO and I went out to one of the more upscale steak places in town the other night and we split a 12oz Zabuton. I had never heard of this cut until then, by any name. We tried it on the sales pitch by the waiter. Normally my wife gets a fillet and I go the New York route but our eating habits have changed drastically in the last year or so as we are on a weight loss journey. We still eat what we want, including going out to eat, we just eat a lot less. So when going out we will split a meal. I wasn't looking forward to the fillet, I have never been that enamored with the taste. Just a cut of meat I can do without.

The Zabuton we found out, has the tenderness of the fillet with a flavor more like the New York. I was really impressed with the cut. Because they were kind enough to cut the steak in half before cooking we both got a rectangular piece of meat about 3.5 x 3.5 x 2.5. Because we do an appetizer, salad, and veggies with the meat it was plenty. Mine was cooked on the rare side of medium rare while hers was closer to medium. Both were juicy, tender and full of flavor. When someone says "cut it with a fork" this is the steak they are talking about. It has quite a bit of marbling (fat) to give it flavor.

I will try to find a butcher in town that does this cut and try it at home. If I can it will probably replace my standard purchase of Porterhouse steaks. With the Porterhouse I would always try to find one with a decent filet side for the wife to eat and I will do the strip side. But with this new found knowledge I can just get the one cut without having to prowl the stores looking for decent Porterhouse steaks to divide up. 

So if you ever get the chance, I would recommend this cut to anyone. Tender and flavorful.

bob

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/04/06/beef-talk-what-is-a-denver-cut/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Denver Steak/Zabuton/Boneless Chuck Short Rib/Underblade Steak
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
I will have to look for this in the stores; I will be interested to see if it can replace my favorite ribeye steak.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »
Looks to be a cut from high on the chuck. Would be simple as getting a choice grade chuck roast and cutting your own steaks from the main cut?

One thing to try is get a prime grade ribeye, cut thick. Season to taste, using plenty of salt, and seal in a FoodSaver bag. Leave for a week before cooking. When my brother had his steakhouse he would take unsold cuts, which were already seasoned, and vacu-seal them for the next week. It got to the point where people would call and reserve one.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »
I am a firm believer in wet aging, only because I don't have the equipment to do dry ageing of meats. When I buy briskets I plan far ahead because they stay in my fridge in the cryovac for about 4-6 weeks. If I can get the pack date off of the box then it will be 6 weeks from there, if no box I go 4-6 weeks on the age depending on what the meat guy can tell me about how long they have been there. Some people I have told this to won't eat my smoked brisket.... good...... more for me and people who enjoy the brisket. :)

I will have to try the shorter time with my own food sealer for other meats. Thanks for the idea.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
Looks to be a cut from high on the chuck. Would be simple as getting a choice grade chuck roast and cutting your own steaks from the main cut?

One thing to try is get a prime grade ribeye, cut thick. Season to taste, using plenty of salt, and seal in a FoodSaver bag. Leave for a week before cooking. When my brother had his steakhouse he would take unsold cuts, which were already seasoned, and vacu-seal them for the next week. It got to the point where people would call and reserve one.

Brad

So this would be leaving the cryovac steaks in the fridge, correct?  I still have two ribeyes from Costco cryovaced in the freezer. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »

Brad

Chuck eye?  This is a popular cut in Iowa for the folks who don't want to pay for sirloin or better steaks, especially when beef prices skyrocketed a few years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
So this would be leaving the cryovac steaks in the fridge, correct?  I still have two ribeyes from Costco cryovaced in the freezer. 

Yup, though the method I'm familiar with is to season before sealing. Over time the seasoning infuses meat, plus the little bit of wet aging seems to tenderize things a bit. Some kind of osmosis thing based on salt in the seasoning, I suppose.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »
Took me a while to find where it is. Looks like it is from a similar area to the Flat Iron Steak, which has become one of my favorite cuts. (Flat iron is also known as "top blade steak", versus this one, "underblade steak")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• friend

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »

Brad

Salting for an hour per inch turns a tough, cheap, cut of steak into a tender, delicious, piece of meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RWJEOScToE
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.